X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable baskets

Eric and I are finally getting a basket and are trying to decide which one to get. We're leaning toward either the DISCatcher Sport or the M-14. We'd love to hear other opinions on them (or other reasonably priced baskets) before we decide....

Originally posted by Susie Sunshine View Post
    Eric and I are finally getting a basket and are trying to decide which one to get. We're leaning toward either the DISCatcher Sport or the M-14. We'd love to hear other opinions on them (or other reasonably priced baskets) before we decide....
    I have DiscCatcher Sport and think it's pretty good. I have added inside chains and sometimes think it catches too good. So far no complaints about it.

Bob

Comment

hmm i love my mach lite by DGA. catches great and very movable.

Comment

i have a m-14 and think it needs more chains but is a little more better quality welding and setup than the discatcher sport...

Comment

Originally posted by Susie Sunshine View Post
          We have the Lightning DB-5 in out backyard, and love it. We got ours from Jerry at the Depot. After my putting today I need to get back there and use it more.

Cindy
          Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
          Stumptown #176
          PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
            i have a m-14 and think it needs more chains but is a little more better quality welding and setup than the discatcher sport...
            If the M-14 welds are better than the Discatcher Sport, then the welds have improved CONSIDERABLY on the M-14. I felt terrible when I sold an M-14 to Ken Gilmore years back, and the welds broke. Doug had an M-14 whose welds also broke. I think they fixed the problem with the shitty welds. I don't hear about those welds breaking any more on M-14s. But you can get a Titan or a DB-5 for just a little more, and have a full-weight basket.

A Mach Lite is certainly an improvement over the Skill Shot. Stronger, more basket-like, tighter fit, more realistic catching. The Traveler: well, at least it's quiet. I have one NIB if interested, PM me.
            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
              After my putting today I need to get back there and use it more.
              But when you throw the disc into the basket on your first shot you don't need to putt!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                But when you throw the disc into the basket on your first shot you don't need to putt!
                This is true

Cindy
                Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                Stumptown #176
                PDGA #37716

Comment

I haven't spent much time putting on a Discatcher Sport, but I fart around with M-14s from time to time. I haven't seen any issues with broken welds on the ones I shoot on, but holy hell are they rough on the discs! I spent half an hour putting, and my discs looked like I'd been throwing them across a gravel parking lot. I don't know what does the damage, if its rough chains or the nubs on the cage, but something chews the plastic up. Also can't say for the Discatcher Sport, but in the case of the M-14 (and Mach Lite, for that matter), there's a good number of putts you just have to tell yourself you know would have stuck on a real basket.

Other baskets--I've heard nothing but good things about Lightning DB-5's--apparently one of the few Lightning products people like. And I don't know if the reason you're looking at portables is for cost or portability, but, if you're willing to splurge a bit, the Gateway Titan is supposed to be the best catching basket out there.

Edit: more info on the Titan if anyone's curious
                  Last edited by Tim; February 20th, 2009, 09:54 AM.
                  Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

the titan better than dga mach 5 and 2? Because the DGA baskets are cheaper than a titan so that's why i'm asking...

Comment

Supposedly, yeah. That's just what I've picked up from message boards and hearsay though, haven't had the chance to putt on one yet. I know the Titan uses super thick gauge steel on the cage, and I think it uses different gauges of chains too (thicker ones in the middle). Best catching basket that I've used is the Discatcher Pro (the newer models), but those cost significantly less than a Mach III, so I don't think price necessarily dictates quality.

Comment

mack three (just because i have one does't make me opinionaided does it) i also have a m-14 that i added a second set of chains too and it also works very well , a little on the light side which makes for easy transport , that mack three gets heavy in a hurry.

Comment

Oh how I love my Mach III!! You should have seen the look on people's faces driving through Canada with that on the top of my rig!!

DB-5 is a pretty good basket especially if you add an extra set of chains. The only downfall to this basket is that the galvanize dipping they do is pretty rough. Same for the welds. Can tear a putter to shreds after several hundred putts. I used to putt with J Sebiel all the time ( several hundred putts a day ) and his basket would destroy some of my putters.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Since I've had my choice of many practice baskets, living on a course, I liked the homemade Yauger Park basket that was donated. It has a smaller basket with no nubs. A very challenging basket, perfect for practice. Are we trying to develop those putts that stay in by a miracle, or do we want to have the no-doubters?
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Maybe I should clarify that I'm not talking about getting lucky on putts that stick when you don't expect them to, I'm talking about putts that hit dead center on the pole, or at the least, in the strong part of the chains. I've had putts like that be spit out by all kinds of baskets, but definitely way more with the M-14s and Mach Lites...not really a huge deal as long as you can accept that it would have stuck on a more robust basket. It does kind of get old though, bending over to pick up that disc that you know you putted correctly.

And yeah, I agree that the Yauger baskets are good, I would seriously consider one if I were looking for a portable. You say you liked it though? Past tense?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X