X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gummy Discs !?!?

Hey guys, I have only been playing about a year and have heard a lot about "Gummy Discs". I know what they are but can someone give me some insight on specific uses for them. The gummy plastic just seems understable, like for easy turnover shots, and resists denting against trees. What do you guys like gummy plastic for?

Discs that come out of the mold with a "gummy" texture aren't more overstable or understable, they're just desirable because they give you better grip in cold or wet weather, and -- in the case of putters -- sometimes stick to the chains a little better.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
      Discs that come out of the mold with a "gummy" texture aren't more overstable or understable, they're just desirable because they give you better grip in cold or wet weather, and -- in the case of putters -- sometimes stick to the chains a little better.
      oh cool, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

a gummy putter may grip the chains a little better but the flexing of the plastic in your hand may decrease accuracy. give and take.
        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
          a gummy putter may grip the chains a little better but the flexing of the plastic in your hand may decrease accuracy. give and take.
          Another benefit of that flex would be the disc absorbing more of the shock of impact and more likely to finish closer to where the impact occurs. At least that's what I like about my gummy spider compared to my non-gummy one.

Comment

Is it a random feature of a disc to be gummy? Or is it an intended variation of the plastic mix?

Comment

intended.
              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                intended.
                Sure, they SAY it's intended.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Then you would think they would just make them all gummy. I haven't found anyone (yet) who likes a slick disc over a gummy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                    I haven't found anyone (yet) who likes a slick disc over a gummy one.
                    Except for everyone that chooses KC Pro over JK Pro...

Comment

I prefer slick plastic when throwing with a power grip. Just the grip pressure i use I guess. Unless it's a horribly wet day, the plastic doesn't make much difference with my control grip.

Comment

Sometimes, i wonder if all these different discs and variations just distract me from the game of golf. I find that the more discs I try out, the more I am convinced that I need to find a few discs and just stick with them. After all isn't the world record held by like an XL or a Valkyrie?

Comment

Finding what you like is good. Of course, what you like can, and likely will, change (sometimes minute to minute). Start to finish, good weather or bad, newbie or bagger, young buck or old fart, expect things to change. I find the game doesn't get boring. Always, playing within your game is key. The damned thing about all these kinds of plastic is, I can't carry a bag like Lowell's with my back. I see others using the gummy putters and think about the three putters I'm carrying already. I already like too many discs.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampthing View Post
                            Sometimes, i wonder if all these different discs and variations just distract me from the game of golf. I find that the more discs I try out, the more I am convinced that I need to find a few discs and just stick with them. After all isn't the world record held by like an XL or a Valkyrie?
                            Excellent revelation, especially for someone just getting into the sport. I wish I'd had the same forethought when I got started. If you can limit yourself to just a few different molds, and more beginner friendly ones at that, you'll grasp the fundamentals much better than if you go out and buy the latest super fast drivers and such.

I'd recommend having a putter, midrange, fairway driver, distance driver, and maybe add 1 super stable disc and 1 super flippy disc. Really, for pure fundamentals, I'd say just a putter, mid, and fairway driver would be best to learn with, but having a few other discs in the bag is more fun.

Here's a short list of discs I'd recommend for each category:
                            Putters: Aviar (there are several variations, but all are good), Challenger, Magnet, Wizard, Magic
                            Mids: Roc, Shark, Buzz, Impact
                            Fairway: Leopard, Gazelle, Cyclone, XL
                            Distance: Valkyrie, Teebird, Teebird-L (aka TL)
                            Super overstable: Firebird, Predator
                            Super flippy: Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Avenger SS

Discs like the Valk and Teebird I think might be labeled as "fairway drivers" these days, but they're still really distance drivers in the scheme of things. Stick with those until you feel really comfortable with them, and move up from there.

Edit: Ahh yeah, and back to the topic of gummy discs--I say just get the baseline plastic (DX, D, S--a.k.a the cheap stuff) for now. It's easier to grip, is less of an investment for trying things out, and can wear in to be a sweet sweet disc (especially so for mids and putters).
                            Last edited by Tim; February 19th, 2009, 09:41 AM. Reason: added stuff
                            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

putter- aviar
                              mid- shark
                              fairway- leopard
                              driver-valkyrie or roadrunner
                              learn these and then move on.

i throw innova so i am uneducated about discraft discs. there are discraft discs that are equal to these but i am unsure what they are. find a disc you like and stick with it. it is easier to learn a new disc when you have something to compare it to. i compare all new discs to a disc i already know and make the proper adjustments to learn that disc in a short time after a few throws. if you do not have a go to disc i recommend finding one. if you lose it buy the same mold. stay away from a revolving bag. throw in the field more than on the course when learning a disc. have fun.
                              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X