X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matt
    started a topic viper vs. whippet vs. drone etc.

viper vs. whippet vs. drone etc.

in the spirit of looking for the roc for my wife, I also want something very overstable

the viper was at the top of my list (also the drone), but I keep running into the whippet

so, i'm looking for suggestions, from the more experienced, on some very overstable mid-range discs

what do you use and why?
    how does weight affect an overstable?

thanks matt

• General Scales
    replied
    Originally posted by Stephen.Sines View Post
    I would also venture to guess that you are saying that they are the manliest of the manly... when it comes to powerful discs

I have thrown a lot of super overstable discs and by far, the Xtreme was the most overstable of them all.

Leave a comment:

• jdinteg
    replied
    I've thrown your Xtreme, it felt like a new Firebird to me. The GL Trident & XXX are more stable for me, but less glide. I use them like a mid and for trick, skip, flex, forehand shots. I favor the XXX the most in the Winter, and the Trident in the summer when I have more snap.

Leave a comment:

• Stephen.Sines
    replied
    Originally posted by General Scales View Post
    Your Avatar explains how I feel about the Xtreme
    I would also venture to guess that you are saying that they are the manliest of the manly... when it comes to powerful discs

Leave a comment:

• General Scales
    replied
    XTREME!!!!!
    Your Avatar explains how I feel about the Xtreme

Leave a comment:

• Stephen.Sines
    replied
    XTREME!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• General Scales
    replied
    Currently my super overstable mid slot is being filled by a Hornet (somewhat beat) and a Trident. Trident's are insanely overstable and are actually classified as a fairway driver but have NO glide. I think the furthest I can throw a brand new Trident is about 310-320 and that is a full power crush. It always ends hard left and it will do it in any wind.

Leave a comment:

• matt
    replied
    I'm a huge fan of the xtreme/drone/zone (all in Z) those cover all trick shots for me
    i have since given the pro-d drone to my wife
    and bought a star whippet x
    very happy with the whippet x for that original intended use.(i wanted something VERY Overstable)
    the drone, not so much

Leave a comment:

• Stephen.Sines
    replied
    I'm a huge fan of the xtreme/drone/zone (all in Z) those cover all trick shots for me

Leave a comment:

• jdinteg
    replied
    For my bag I use:

Ultra stable big skip shots Nuke OS

Slower/consistent hard fade Opt/GL Trident

longer distance/Glide with very stable fade GL XXX

The most dependable Thumber and forehand fade for my throw Champ Firebird.

Leave a comment:

• ScottW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce View Post
    I'm in the same boat here as Scott, though I throw the old champ whippets and sub in a XXX for latitude form time to time. A touch longer and faster than the whippet, but every bit as overstable.
    The Lat 64 XXX is ridiculously overstable! A very nice disc that I would consider going to if I lost all of my STAR Whippet Xs and was not easily able to find replacements.

I do have a clear Champion Viper from the Golden State Classic a few years back. I've never thrown it but I am sure it is sweet as an overstable disc.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce
    replied
    Originally posted by ScottW View Post
    I throw a STAR Whippet-X and love it. I do not like the Glo Champion Whippets though. Gators are good and over stable but are even shorter distance then a Whippet. Rhynos are money for super short over stable shots too. For faster discs I also throw Firebird, Monster, and XCaliber but I feel that the Whippet-X is the most overstable disc in my bag.
    I'm in the same boat here as Scott, though I throw the old champ whippets and sub in a XXX for latitude form time to time. A touch longer and faster than the whippet, but every bit as overstable.

Leave a comment:

• matt
    replied
    Originally posted by SPIDER-DAN View Post
    Thats great..........keep in mind that the pro d drone will not keep its stability as long as the elite z, esp or flx plastic. The z hornet is nice because its flatter and sometimes a little more control when coming out of the hand.
    The bottom of the hornet seemed too sharp/pointed
    It didn't feel right in my hand
    which surprised me
    Because two of my favorite discs I have, are both Z discraft (buzzz and glide)

Leave a comment:

• General Scales
    replied
    Originally posted by SPIDER-DAN View Post
    Thats great..........keep in mind that the pro d drone will not keep its stability as long as the elite z, esp or flx plastic. The z hornet is nice because its flatter and sometimes a little more control when coming out of the hand.
    Yeah, I switched to the Hornet over the Drone simply because there are more instances for me where a Hornet can fit the throw over the Drone. The Drone is still the most reliable disc I have ever thrown. It does it's mission with no complaint.

Leave a comment:

• SPIDER-DAN
    replied

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X