X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viper vs. whippet vs. drone etc.

in the spirit of looking for the roc for my wife, I also want something very overstable

the viper was at the top of my list (also the drone), but I keep running into the whippet

so, i'm looking for suggestions, from the more experienced, on some very overstable mid-range discs

what do you use and why?
    how does weight affect an overstable?

thanks matt

Do you want slow speed stable, fast stable or middle of the road stable? What distances are you looking at getting out of said disc? I use a Zone and Drone combo that works great for all my overstable needs. The ESP Zone and Drone are both very reliable, have a similar feel and cover a broad range of distances.

Vipers are great, but the best plastic is champion and those are hard to come by. Whippets are very overstable, but I feel they are really short range. They come in star plastic so that is more reliable than the DX counterpart. Champion Rocs are nice and overstable but sometimes can be pricey for the right one.

Comment

Overstable Midrange: Champion Gator. It's like a midrange Firebird.

I'm not a big fan of the Star Gator, since most that I have seen are beadless.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
        Do you want slow speed stable, fast stable or middle of the road stable? What distances are you looking at getting out of said disc?
        i am a beginner and cant throw very hard/far yet
        this will be to play with/learn some trick shots
        it will be used for shorter/slower work

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
        Vipers are great, but the best plastic is champion and those are hard to come by. Whippets are very overstable, but I feel they are really short range. They come in star plastic so that is more reliable than the DX counterpart. Champion Rocs are nice and overstable but sometimes can be pricey for the right one.
        i think im looking for something more overstable than a roc
        i have only seen the vipers in dx

is there much distance difference between the viper and the whippet?

the drone is in this same range, and the zone is a little longer. correct???

how does weight play into this? just get the same weight as the rest of my mid-range?

Comment

The Zone is a putter, the Drone is a midrange. The Drone and Zone are both meathooks of discs. The Viper is more controllable then a Whippet in my opinion. They are both very very overstable. I would go with either the Drone or the Viper. Probably the Drone since you can get it in D, Z and ESP FLX. That way you can find the plastic you like and go with that.
          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
          Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
            Overstable Midrange: Champion Gator. It's like a midrange Firebird.

I'm not a big fan of the Star Gator, since most that I have seen are beadless.
            ^^^^^^^^
            What he said

Comment

I throw a STAR Whippet-X and love it. I do not like the Glo Champion Whippets though. Gators are good and over stable but are even shorter distance then a Whippet. Rhynos are money for super short over stable shots too. For faster discs I also throw Firebird, Monster, and XCaliber but I feel that the Whippet-X is the most overstable disc in my bag.

Comment

I went down to Olympic Disc and touched and felt some (o.k. a lot) of plastic -zone, drone, hornet, pig, gator, whippet, and a few others
                they had everything - but a viper

walked out with a Pro-D 176 Drone
                a little heavier than what i have been going towards (been leaning to 160s)

it will be a good start, and I can work from there

also picked up a 174 XD
                I still haven't found "my perfect putter" yet

Comment

try a latitude 64 sinus for a putter, ive got an ace on three different ones. there just stable enough for me, and great in the wind. cmon ive got 5 for a reason :P
                  Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up to the roof and gets stuck - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                    I went down to Olympic Disc
                    walked out with a Pro-D 176 Drone
                    also picked up a 174 XD
                    went and threw both this afternoon
                    i'm happy with both

Comment

Thats great..........keep in mind that the pro d drone will not keep its stability as long as the elite z, esp or flx plastic. The z hornet is nice because its flatter and sometimes a little more control when coming out of the hand.
                      WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Originally posted by SPIDER-DAN View Post
                        Thats great..........keep in mind that the pro d drone will not keep its stability as long as the elite z, esp or flx plastic. The z hornet is nice because its flatter and sometimes a little more control when coming out of the hand.
                        Yeah, I switched to the Hornet over the Drone simply because there are more instances for me where a Hornet can fit the throw over the Drone. The Drone is still the most reliable disc I have ever thrown. It does it's mission with no complaint.
                        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                        Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by SPIDER-DAN View Post
                          The bottom of the hornet seemed too sharp/pointed
                          It didn't feel right in my hand
                          which surprised me
                          Because two of my favorite discs I have, are both Z discraft (buzzz and glide)

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                            I throw a STAR Whippet-X and love it. I do not like the Glo Champion Whippets though. Gators are good and over stable but are even shorter distance then a Whippet. Rhynos are money for super short over stable shots too. For faster discs I also throw Firebird, Monster, and XCaliber but I feel that the Whippet-X is the most overstable disc in my bag.
                            I'm in the same boat here as Scott, though I throw the old champ whippets and sub in a XXX for latitude form time to time. A touch longer and faster than the whippet, but every bit as overstable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                              I'm in the same boat here as Scott, though I throw the old champ whippets and sub in a XXX for latitude form time to time. A touch longer and faster than the whippet, but every bit as overstable.
                              The Lat 64 XXX is ridiculously overstable! A very nice disc that I would consider going to if I lost all of my STAR Whippet Xs and was not easily able to find replacements.

I do have a clear Champion Viper from the Golden State Classic a few years back. I've never thrown it but I am sure it is sweet as an overstable disc.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X