Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The white ones

Comment

I throw a 2006 USDGC Baby STAR Roc that is the Rancho mold. It is sufficiently overstable and very consistent, that disc is money! I also throw a very well worn DX Rancho Roc for turnover shots. I also have a Crystal Z Buzzz in my bag that is wasting space. Buzzz's are nice they are just not for me. My wife on occasion will throw both a Crystal Z Buzzz or a DX Rancho Roc and they seem to fly about the same for her - she's tiny and not powerful - both nicely overstable for her.

Comment

ordered her a 155-165 star rancho roc this morning

Comment

and have been hoarding it for myself

Comment

it has to be made on a Tuesday, by a lefty, on the night shift...
            educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
              it has to be made on a Tuesday, by a lefty, on the night shift...
              JMan - I'd argue that was only true for the 7x-9x. Before and after that the rim angle was not as steep or thick or when it was the flight plate was flatter. Especially if you can find a black one!

Comment

Originally posted by Lund View Post
                JMan - I'd argue that was only true for the 7x-9x. Before and after that the rim angle was not as steep or thick or when it was the flight plate was flatter. Especially if you can find a black one!
                Not to mention that the supposed "lefty" on the night shift during the 7x-9x years was actually ambidextrous, and therefore that whole myth is exposed. The truth is that the only Rocs worth anything are pre-Ontario Rancho glow SB 4x flat stamped Ching juju with the Clown design.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                  Not to mention that the supposed "lefty" on the night shift during the 7x-9x years was actually ambidextrous, and therefore that whole myth is exposed. The truth is that the only Rocs worth anything are pre-Ontario Rancho glow SB 4x flat stamped Ching juju with the Clown design.
                  Oh man. That's why I have never been able to hit that line again! I thought I had a good roc but it was a freakin post-Ontario Rancho glow SB. I thought I wasn't throwing it right.....

Anyone have one of these they'd be willing to part with?

I have lots to trade, including:
                  -perfectly seasoned dx cheetahs 8.4/10
                  -offcenter X out FL (the real Firebird Leopard)
                  -Champion Teerex (No, not the X)
                  -Pearly, big bead aviars, a little ink, just says "Rage"
                  -The real OR tdg first run DFL trophy (not the one Bob broke)
                  -rare, disc dye workshop rejects (Cro with a raven dye, Orc with a Goblin dye)
                  -2008 GNO player's pack shirt (the "typo")
                  -Sines decoder ring - sold
                  -some of the desert dust from the treads of Wiggin's right shoe (yep his planting foot) from the day he broke the world distance record
                  etc.

Or we could do straight cash. PM me, like my facebook or @nightshiftbigbead11x
                  Last edited by Lund; September 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Oh man. That's why I have never been able to hit that line again! I thought I had a good roc but it was a freakin post-Ontario Rancho glow SB. I thought I wasn't throwing it right.....

-some of the desert dust from the treads of Wiggin's right shoe (yep his planting foot) from the day he broke the world distance record
                    etc.

Lund,

I do have a 1st place laminated fish trophy from an early Great Northwest Open. Willing to trade anything for that obvious collectible?

Jeff
                    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

etc.

Ah, the 2008 Great "Nortwest" Open shirt....there's a small piece of the Roc puzzle in that story too. The discs had it spelled correctly, but the shirt was missing the "h". And what was amongst the players pack disc choices? The re-introduction of the San Marino Roc, in DX. Yeah, I picked one up.

Supposedly these San Marino discs were from a mold that went missing back in 1993 but was returned in an unmarked box on the steps of the factory in Rancho Cucamonga.... Some people say the San Marino was the most overstable of all the Roc molds, and that Dave Dunipace ran some San Marino's in glow CE on the night shift right before the mysterious CE "supply" problems forced Innova to stop offering that plastic. Immediately after that run, parts of the mold went missing. Word on the street was that Discraft had them and with some subtle alterations they produced the Buzz. If you get one of those first run Buzzes from 93 in a darker color and you sand the flight plate near the rim with some ultrafine sandpaper, then submerge the disc in black Rit dye (the old formulation) overnight in your refrigerator, you can make out the San Marino and the patent number.

By the way, those Dave Dunipace 1993 nightshift glow CE San Marino Rocs are killer, and really the only good Rocs.

P.S. Lund - that "rage" inked BB pearly Aviar is mine. I threw it into a lake in Oshkosh WI in '95. Not sure where you found it, but you can give it to a newbie.
                      Last edited by Matt B.; September 11th, 2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Ah, the 2008 Great "Nortwest" Open shirt....there's a small piece of the Roc puzzle in that story too. The discs had it spelled correctly, but the shirt was missing the "h".
                        What! The 2008 Great Nortwest was a spelling error? I thought it was named after my dog Norton. I'm not going to break the news to him. He loves his shirt soooo much.

Comment

If you get one of those first run Buzzes from 93 in a darker color and you sand the flight plate near the rim with some ultrafine sandpaper, then submerge the disc in black Rit dye (the old formulation) overnight in your refrigerator, you can make out the San Marino and the patent number.
                          Holy smokes did you just trick me into rendering my Buzz illegal during sanctioned play?

Climo told me that when he hit that iron leaf with his KC Pro it perfectly reduced the amount of high speed fade (RHBH) on that disc from there on out. I've been bangin mine off trees at Pier and river rocks at Milo ever since with the hopes of achieving the same effect, to no avail. Still can't throw it like him.

And on a side note I've been making a pretty penny selling discs on ebay that I have retrieved from Trojan, telling people from other parts of the country that the discs are from the night shift. Turns out no one can even tell the difference! You're probably asking yourself right now "why on earth would he be giving away that secret?" Because there are plenty more discs to go around down there that's why, not to mention ORDGC is coming up fast (can you say fresh supply waiting to start the fermentation process!) Also, I can't shake this ear ache (or this rash come to think about it) and am thinking I might want to stay above water for a little while. That is if I don't just retire altogether and live off the interest that I'm earning on these profits plus all the money I have made off of being an assistant TD.

Bullseye – Sounds like something I would love to have: Someone else's trophy. Is that by chance from the GNO when it was run at a course other than Whistler's by imposters that have since fled the country to escape pdga prosecution? Just so I know what to offer in return but I'm thinking a set of matching pencils (mint condition) that I won in the raffle/rugby scrum at the 2007 Fort Steilacoom Spring Classic.
                          Last edited by Lund; September 11th, 2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

2002 icebowl rocs

I ran an icebowl in MOntrose Colorado back in 2002 -- At that time I recieved a handful of the ROCs -- I believe them to be the 2001 run, NOT the 2002 plastic

There seemed to be nothing special about the disc itself -- other than its the best flying disc I have ever thrown and several others that I have allowed to handle it say the same.

I have aced 2 times in my life -- both straight line 240 plus shots that faded ever so gently directly into basket -- both with the same ROC.

A buddy of mine asked if he could throw the disc after my first ace, and ran the same line I did -- acing 18 in MOntrose Across the river -- to split the ACEPOT that Sunday.

How can I TRULY know if I stumble across one of these beauties in a store -- or are the chances so astronomical that its unlikely.

Is there a way to REQUEST these discs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

I have a roc that says San Rancho Ontario. Is it worth any money? I would trade it for Lunds first born. Unless it's a girl. Then I would need cash on top of the trade.

Comment

Originally posted by maco capo View Post
                                i have a roc that says san rancho ontario. Is it worth any money? I would trade it for lunds first born. Unless it's a girl. Then i would need cash on top of the trade.
                                oh yeah....well i have one that says san rancho ontario + in a hybrid star-champion-ce glow mixure. Dont even try to come back with one after that..........youre done!
                                WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X