X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fiber Discs

Hey guys, I'm just looking for some feedback on some carbon fiber discs I've been making. They are pretty much indestructable and they fly great. Would anyone in the disc golf community ever consider buying something like this?

Originally posted by TylerS View Post
    Hey guys, I'm just looking for some feedback on some carbon fiber discs I've been making. They are pretty much indestructable and they fly great. Would anyone in the disc golf community ever consider buying something like this?
    From the PDGA technical specifications document:
    "(2) be made of solid, non-magnetic plastic material, without any inflatable components;"

I wouldn't be interested in any disc that is not PDGA approved.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...8_1_11.doc.pdf

Comment

Well, unless you've found a way to make carbon fiber conform to the flexibilty standards the PDGA has... Sweet idea for trophies though!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        From the PDGA technical specifications document:
        "(2) be made of solid, non-magnetic plastic material, without any inflatable components;"

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...8_1_11.doc.pdf
        Thanks for the link. Is that their way of saying not made of carbon fiber then?

Well, in a non-PDGA setting, would it be of any interest?

Comment

I think it's their wasy of saying it has to be generally plasticy (non-technical term).
          I think most people who play, or think they might play, in PDGA tournaments would not be interested. What's the point of practicing with a disc that you can't use when it counts?

Comment

Any pictures?
            Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by TylerS View Post
              Tyler,

I can definitely see the problem with being unable to get these sanctioned, however, these would make a pretty cool trophy discs. If you can find a reliable method of adding graphics to the fabric before the addition of the resin without losing the print quality you might find yourself a market that wasn't your original target.

Hell, As a frequent tournament director I might be interested in buying some.

Jeff
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Target market(no pun)

Oops, I just threw it 875ft. Prolly another new market. Carbon fiber glow disc, another market

Comment

I would like to see pix, and get a price quote??
                  Hukin since 1992
                  DGOD #115

Comment

can i ask a price on a custom bag??? me and mikk have talk about this. and if have the skillz i could have the cash

Comment

Carbon

Carbon fiber is bad ass, but the problem Is that it's to hard. Too much damage to trees and people. If you got hit by a 175g carbon driver at full force, It could easily be lethal. Good idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by *freeskier View Post
                        Carbon fiber is bad ass, but the problem Is that it's to hard. Too much damage to trees and people. If you got hit by a 175g carbon driver at full force, It could easily be lethal. Good idea though.
                        The term hard is relevant, cf is hard, but impact shattery.(Yay, a new word.) it would look like a woven basket run over by a bus when it smacks sumptin.
                        Also any chip you'd get the worst slivers. I use to make cf custom guitar necks n parts. you can see slivers in my bosses hand a few yrs old.
                        All that said, yeah it would be a blast to go in an open field and rip a box of freshies. You know they'd sail. Full energy transformation.
                        Make some and report back!

Comment

Alterations

I about to give a carbon fiber disc a try but was thinking about trying some modifications to the disc. I was thinking about either lightening up that ring or weighting it. What do you think would happen? Do you think either one of these would increase flight distance? Have you messed around with any of this?

Thanks

Comment

No pics of these yet
                            PDGA # 52916
                            CRDGC
                            TCDGC
                            FWWDGC
                            PDGC

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.