X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard Katana Consistency???

I ordered and extra 150gm Blizzard Katana from my Favorite eBay seller knowing I wouldn't be out to Chainbangerz before the Sudoku Tourney on Saturday. I got it in the mail this morning and went to my practice field today. This is the 3rd Blizzard Katana I have thrown. The one I got today is like throwing a dang Destroyer in terms of stability.... This is the 2nd one I have thrown that was Horribly stable. Anyone else have consistency issues with the Blizzard discs, as far as stability goes? Or, am I just finding the weird ones??? Thanks y'all.

Originally posted by JNichols View Post
    I ordered and extra 150gm Blizzard Katana from my Favorite eBay seller knowing I wouldn't be out to Chainbangerz before the Sudoku Tourney on Saturday. I got it in the mail this morning and went to my practice field today. This is the 3rd Blizzard Katana I have thrown. The one I got today is like throwing a dang Destroyer in terms of stability.... This is the 2nd one I have thrown that was Horribly stable. Anyone else have consistency issues with the Blizzard discs, as far as stability goes? Or, am I just finding the weird ones??? Thanks y'all.
    seems like it's a kink in they're trying to work out with the technology (i personally am very shocked that bubble infused plastic turns out to be quirky and inconsistent... )

if you check out the thread on blizzard plastic in the women's disc golf section, scott hill posted a link to the disucssion on the pdga boards i think.
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Sweet! Thanks Emma.

Comment

My 150 Blizzard Ape is less stable than my 150 Blizzard Boss (it should be the other way around). But that's just a sample of one.
        So yes, consistency seems to be an issue.

Comment

I bought a couple of 135 Blizzard Apes that are the two of the most understable discs I have ever thrown. Flip city.

Innova has been up front stating that they are having consistency issues with the Blizzard plastic and are committed to fixing the process.

Comment

While not blizzard plastic, I had a 172 blue Star Katana that I loved. Slightly understable, but right where I would expect it given its stabiilty ratings. Lost that disc, so replaced with a 170 blue Echo Star Katana. It is more stable than my star Boss (170). I have had similar problems with other Innova discs. I try to keep the weight and even color of the disc the same, but never seem to get consistent discs.

Comment

Consistency has never seemed like a primary objective of Innova drivers. That said, my favorite drivers have almost always been Innovas. You find that one you really like and buy six more trying to match it. Probably not a bad business plan.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

so i picked up a 142 POPTOP Katana @ the BSF. being told it would make a great flippy flyer.....

i can not get this thing to hyzer flip at all.....i can force it over it is seriously more stable than my 172 1st run Big Star Destoyer and is at least as stable as a 175ish CFR Glow Destroyer

i have not tree tested it yet to see if that helps the flight pattern, but it has found a spot for now in my 12 disc bag.
                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I throw Innova primarily, so I kinda got a feel for most of their driver lines, but I am just now really touching the Blizzard stuff. I get to a point where I am so happy with my bag, I hate to touch a new disc that will make me want to change it.... again......
                  Last edited by JNichols; June 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieinOR View Post
                    While not blizzard plastic, I had a 172 blue Star Katana that I loved. Slightly understable, but right where I would expect it given its stabiilty ratings. Lost that disc, so replaced with a 170 blue Echo Star Katana. It is more stable than my star Boss (170). I have had similar problems with other Innova discs. I try to keep the weight and even color of the disc the same, but never seem to get consistent discs.

Same thing happened to me. I bought 2 star katanas, same weight and color. One was just perfectly understable, throw it hard and flat and it will flex out perfectly, the other is the most stable katana i've ever felt. Have never to this day been able to get it to flip for me. I can force it over but it always come back.
                    Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

I have had a Couple Vulcans, in Star AND Pro Plastic that were the same way... The Pro Plastic REALLY surprised me. I picked up 2 167gm Pro Vulcans one day at the same shop, from the same bin. Same weight, same color. One I could Almost use as a Backhand Roller throwing it dead Flat it was so Under Stable. The other was like throwing an Excaliber for me. No distance, straight Left and to the ground. I have had MORE of that experience with the Star Vulcan. Still LOVE my Innova discs though. When I find one that works for me, it be like the Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow....

Comment

See, this is why I stopped buying and throwing Innova discs. I got tired of having to buy three or more discs in the same mold, same weight and same color just to get the one that actually flew the way it's represented by it's flight stats. There are several theories on why this happens.

My thought, having worked in plastic molding before, is this.

Innova molds in California where heat and humidity can cause serious issues for anybody trying to have uniform molding. Heat and humidity are the enemy of plastic in the molding process. I'm guessing that Innova doesn't have the same type of clean room molding that is required for food and medical supplies.

My Blizzard Boss (156) that I got as a club disc this year is quite stable. I actually can put a lot behind it. The Blizzard Wraith (153) my buddy got is more stable than the Boss I have (which shouldn't happen). The Blizzard Destroyer I got on a side bet (144) is so flippy that it's more like throwing a Mamba. I haven't thrown and Blizzard Katana's yet so I can't say anything about their lack of consistency. All of these examples are extremely pop topped with very few bubbles in the flight plate and a ton in the rim. I've heard that you want them in the flight plate and not the rim but I can neither confirm nor deny this
                        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                        Cleveland Brown

Comment

I don't like them in the flight plate because the top gets so light that they will warp. But the more bubbles on top the more weight on the edge of the disc, the more stable the disc.
                          Fear of any kind is the number one enemy of all golfers regardless of ball-striking and shot-making capabilities.

Comment

From Dave Dunipace on the Ask Dave thread on the PDGA discussion forum:

"The inconsistencies are due to the nature of the materials and molding variables. This happens much more with Blizzard than any other disc type. With Blizzard, it is very difficult to get consistent results from disc to disc coming out of the machine, let alone from batch to batch. Even the colors we use change the appearance of the Blizzard. I would like to say that we have mastered the Blizzard tech by now, but we haven't. We are doing our best and have purchased a new piece of equipment which we expect will help with this.

All this being said; whether there are bubbles in the flight plate or not, it doesn't affect the flight of the disc. A disc with only bubbles in the rim may be more or less stable or domier or flatter. All those characteristics vary independent of each other. You might try contacting Eric at the Innova Store and ask him for a specific type disc in a factory second."

Comment

I have 138 boss, destroyer, katana and ape, all pretty broken in. The APE has been working best for long controlled hyzer bombs. EVERYTHING else is so flippy/unpredictable its frustrating. My buddy has a similar set in blizzard plastic and he cant get anything to flip. I love the new technology but EPIC FAIL INNOVA

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X