X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headwind Driver

I am finally beginning to understand and appreciate the specific usefulness of certain discs. Headwind drives get me, they are rough for me...I do not have a big arm. I am rely more on accuracy, I do not fully know what to use for each situation yet so...

I was thinking about what people's favorite, most consistent and productive headwind drivers were...any thoughts?
    "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

Predator

Comment

overstable destroyer for me - you might like to start with something less beefy like an orc, tbird, or tracker - in z/champ plastic.
      "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
      -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Originally posted by JR Stengele View Post
        overstable destroyer for me - you might like to start with something less beefy like an orc, tbird, or tracker - in z/champ plastic.
        agreed, or even a Firebird would be good as well....

Comment

Firebird is THE headwind driver. Too bad Discraft doesn't make the Xtreme anymore!

Viper, Whippet...pretty much discs that do not have much high speed turn.

Of course it is all a combo of the disc AND your technique. A good hyzer technique will treat you better than a flat release angle.

ski2man, you say you don't throw far. Does that mean you throw with an anhyzer angle to get D? If so, this will make the wind quite tricky...

Comment

It depends on how the headwind is affecting your throw.

If you have a clean, nose down throw and your disc is turning over too far, then you need something that is naturally stable to overstable. From stable to overstable, a good short list of drivers would include a Star/Champ Teebird, a Predator, a XXX, or a Firebird.

However, if you are throwing nose up or with off-axis torque and the headwind is getting under the flight plate and pushing or stalling your disc too much, then a different disc won't help you a whole lot. You'll have to correct your technique first.
            We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

In a good headwind, accept that you won't get as far. Don't try to throw to the pin. Settle for a controlled drive with an overstable disc that will get 3/4 of the way there.

Comment

Originally posted by geo_ducks View Post
                Firebird is THE headwind driver. Too bad Discraft doesn't make the Xtreme anymore!

Viper, Whippet...pretty much discs that do not have much high speed turn.

Of course it is all a combo of the disc AND your technique. A good hyzer technique will treat you better than a flat release angle.

ski2man, you say you don't throw far. Does that mean you throw with an anhyzer angle to get D? If so, this will make the wind quite tricky...
                i have found an xtreme on ebay...so i know i can find them. i throw with a bit of an airbounce like an ultimate player. just how I do it, people give me shit for it all the time, but i have good accuracy with it. so this does inhibit my distance. so yes, i throw with an anhyzer angle with many discs to get some maximum distance.

Comment

what about a blizzard ape?

Comment

A Predator or a Trident are what I throw for most serious headwinds. If it's 5 miles per hour or under, I'll change the release angle on my disc to compensate for the headwind.
                    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

All depends on how much of a headwind, I have a super overstable boss, all the way to a XXX's I use depending on how hard it's blowing. Though trident from Lat64 is very similar to the older Monster's and also a great choice, in my opinion.

Comment

My 173+ Destroyers never let me down.

Comment

Originally posted by ski2man View Post
                          i throw with a bit of an airbounce like an ultimate player. just how I do it, people give me shit for it all the time, but i have good accuracy with it. so this does inhibit my distance. so yes, i throw with an anhyzer angle with many discs to get some maximum distance.
                          Well, this is a great shot for accuracy in calm conditions.

However, you are going to be pretty boned throwing this type of shot into a headwind with any disc. You best bet is to learn to throw nose-down hyzers if you want to be accurate and have decent distance into a headwind.
                          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I like to teach head wind philosophy so that people can figure out which works better for them or where to start. So if a player throws a disc and it leaves his hand at 50 mph with calm conditions and the disc flies straight and goes 300 ft. A 10mph head wind picks up on the next hole and the same player throws the same shot and the disc flips and almost turns into a roller and goes 140 ft. What happened? It helps to picture the disc flying in a wind tunnel. Say a certain mold flies well at 50 mph but at 60 mph the disc becomes understable. That's effectively what is happening when you throw into a headwind. A lot of new golfers tend to throw harder into a headwind When in fact the opposite is much more effective. Backing off into a headwind can really be helpful throwing into a headwind. Of course throwing more stable can too.. My advice would be to figure out how stable the plastic you throw is in normal conditions. Find a chart that shows how all discs are compared to your go to. Try a disc that's a few notches above your go to but not to crazy stable. Especially with your throwing style. Just out of curiosity what disc works best for you with no wind. How worn is it and what weight and plastic is it?
                            Relax and enjoy your hair
                            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                              Just out of curiosity what disc works best for you with no wind. How worn is it and what weight and plastic is it?
                              that makes sense Yoduh.
                              well, i use katana's regularly but also have certain go to's for certain throws. I'm a pretty straight thrower, with that air-bounce I was talking about, I use a JLS and a z-avenger ss for straighter ones or turn overs respectively. A champion 170 katana that is beat in is a regular disc for me to let it do its thing, be a stable turner with some s-curve to it if I get it right. Most my drivers are around 170. However, i am really getting into the blizzard plastic now because it does add a lot of distance for someone like me with not too much arm. I throw a blizzard katana and teedevil now in many cases of wide open hucking, they are both 150. Those do not like the wind obviously, but it would be great to see if I could figure them out to handle it, don't know if that's possible.

does the same principle of going a little more stable apply to mid ranges in the wind? So does a headwind make a disc do what it wants more(in other words a stable disc goes more stable and understable almost turns into a roller) or is it just about the speed and they will all turn over at some certain speed? Just trying to get something in my head to remember what to do in odd situations like getting out of trouble...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X