Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ski2man View Post
    what about a blizzard ape?
    I thought it would be, but was very disappointed. The Blizzard Ape threw very understable for me and flipped in the wind very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by ski2man View Post
      that makes sense Yoduh.
      well, i use katana's regularly but also have certain go to's for certain throws. I'm a pretty straight thrower, with that air-bounce I was talking about, I use a JLS and a z-avenger ss for straighter ones or turn overs respectively. A champion 170 katana that is beat in is a regular disc for me to let it do its thing, be a stable turner with some s-curve to it if I get it right. Most my drivers are around 170. However, i am really getting into the blizzard plastic now because it does add a lot of distance for someone like me with not too much arm. I throw a blizzard katana and teedevil now in many cases of wide open hucking, they are both 150. Those do not like the wind obviously, but it would be great to see if I could figure them out to handle it, don't know if that's possible.

does the same principle of going a little more stable apply to mid ranges in the wind? So does a headwind make a disc do what it wants more(in other words a stable disc goes more stable and understable almost turns into a roller) or is it just about the speed and they will all turn over at some certain speed? Just trying to get something in my head to remember what to do in odd situations like getting out of trouble...
      For a wide rimmed driver into a head wind a wraith could possibly be a pretty good choice. Red and dark blue's tend to be more stable. Look for a domey top to be a good indicator of how stable it is. Star Teebirds in same dark colors might be a good fairway driver. Look for both in the 167-170 range. A predator/firebird could be a good finishing driver. Meaning a disc you want flight out of but then a good finish to the left (RBH). Also If the wind gets really mean it could just be a go to driver. They also work good for side arm roller's, pancake's, and overhands/trickshots.

Headwinds will make any disc less stable. Some discs are so over stable that the wind may have to be blowing 60mph before you notice it.. That's when it gets really fun. Here's an example. All of these throws are written as if the thrower throws 300 feet on average. 10 mph headwind.. thrower puts out 3 shots at regular arm speed (85-90% power)with the disc turned down slightly. 1st shot is understable driver. Disc leaves hand and turns into a roller at 80 feet, rolls for 100 feet flips and lands on its back. Straight driver. Same release. Disc flies 140 feet. Lands on edge with out enough speed to stand up and cut rolls off to the left and lands on it's belly. Turning/ stable to over stable driver, when this disc is thrown usually it flies 230 feet before turning to the left and finishing about 250 feet down the fairway 25 feet to the right. Same release. Disc flies 260 feet pretty straight with a slight hyzer finish.
      All of these are over simplified because the amount of snap can change the things slightly. The greatest predictor is arm speed. TO throw the understable disc into the head wind you could turn the disc so the angle of the release was way sharp. You could throw at 60-70% and get a full flight. There's a lot more guessing involved here than simply throwing more stable plastic but to achieve certain flights the mastery of such flights can be very desirable in some situations.
      By rule I throw about 80% power most of the time. I often throw at less and rarely throw over 85.. This is how form and snap timing creates power.. have fun in the wind. A field will teach you this well before the course will.
      Relax and enjoy your hair
      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Firebird, the flatter the better.

Comment

PRO DESTROYER works for me ..Or move to the Tri-Cities where the WIND always blows and you'll figure it out real quick. LOL
          PDGA # 52916
          CRDGC
          TCDGC
          FWWDGC
          PDGC

Comment

Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

+++ on the destroyer, I keep a 175 glow destroyer in the bag just for headwind driving.
              Hukin since 1992
              DGOD #115

Comment

i have a esp force that has an unsually flat top that i like for headwinds. but a sure bet is a firebird.
                Team HOSER:dancing:
                Team OLY:cheerleader:
                Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

I usually go with a pro line monster when dealing with the headwinds and the eltie z drone for a midrange. I dont usually get alot of distance because the monster just is not a super long distance driver.

If you throw katanas and what distance in a headwind........the first run star katana and even some of the flat stock stamp ones are very overstable compared to the champion plastic. The first run star has the 2010 pro worlds stamp (farting lemon). Mine is 168 grams and it is just know starting to fly straight in a headwind after 1 1/2 years. Im pretty sure the 175 grams would be the ticket.
                  WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                    A field will teach you this well before the course will.
                    thanks for the great explanation, I will take it all into consideration!
                    "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                      Awesome!! thanks
                      "When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                        That's the same thing I say to my discs before throwing them.
                        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                        Cleveland Brown

Comment

TeeDevil

I use the TeeDevil for head wind and it works GREAT!

Comment

126 Blizzard Destroyer. Henh.
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

i stick to one that works anywhere. my blue z cyclone at 173.
                              Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up to the roof and gets stuck - George Carlin

Comment

Nobody has said an Xtreme or a Ram yet..
                                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X