X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow disc?

I was wondering how everyone charged their glow disc while playing nite rounds?

Cindy
    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
    Stumptown #176
    PDGA #37716

In my opinion, what ever disc used for driving is best lit with LED's. Putters and Mids are ok with glow. Some people have mini blacklights to light up their glow discs. Some use a camera flash to give it the charge. If you do that option though, make sure everyone is aware and looking another way when you make the camera flash.
    All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

An as far as lighting up the baskets. you gotta love dollar stores. I always go to The Dollar Tree and pick up glow sticks. $20 worth of the right glowsticks will give you plenty of sticks for baskets an tee pads. The ones I buy have 2 neclace sized sticks, an 2 bracelet sized ones.
      All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post

Cindy
        I only have one glow disc, a cfr glow teebird, and I tape a couple UV LED's that I have soldered together to the bottom with a small battery. Other than that I use red LED's taped to the underside of Z or Champion plastic. You can't see the complete flight of your drive very easily but can still get a general vicinity and when you get within 10-20 feet the disc is surprisingly visible. One time at Pier, I believe it was Eric M., taped just one LED near the rim and it lit it up for the whole flight, but I felt it affected the flight too much that way. He also had a LED flashlight that had like 50 blacklight LED's and would light a glow disc up like nobody's business... for one hole... and not ruin your night vision.

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post

Cindy
          With sheer anger.
          Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

I've found the Innova glow discs to be pretty useless (from a glow standpoint). LEDs on champion discs seem to be a much better way to go.

Comment

I use Discraft Photon discs, they are the best, imho. After 5 minutes a side in front of a car headlight my Talon, Buzzz, and Challenger will stay charged for a couple of rounds on the short HH course. If they do fade I use a camera flash. For the baskets we stopped using glo sticks (too labor intensive) and went to small battery powered under-the-cabinet LED lights. I got them at Home Depot 3 for 10 bucks. Placed in a Hornings basket they shoot a wide beam of light up through the chains and top; talk about visible.

Glo plastic or LEDs, glo sticks or portable lights, I encourage everyone to play some glo rounds; they are especially nice this time of year because you can T off at 6 rather than close to midnight. A quick reminder, once your group is on the course, use your flashlights as little as possible, let your eyes become accustomed to the dark. Too much flashlight forces your eyes to spend all their time adjusting between light and dark. That and slow everything down and have a blast. We're contemplating a round or two at Hornings this evening. I'll post here if it's a go.
              J
              educate your thinking

Comment

Glo round on HH2 this evening, T@6
                J
                educate your thinking

Comment

I have heard that gateway glow works really really well, even better than photon, it is a little difficult to come by in some molds but works well. Jman I am curious how you like the talon? I thought it was a good disc and have used it in my mess around bag quite alot. I also noticed that you keep no fairway drivers in your full time bag why is this/ what do you use a buzz thrown extra hard or a force thrown extra soft? If so why?

Comment

I'm loving the Talon. I had never thrown one until I picked up the photon. I liked it enough I was going to try one in the Z plastic, and found out it's discontinued. As to a fairway driver in my regular bag, well I do have one, the X Predator. Best damn fairway driver around. Fast enough to use a power grip off a Tee and comfortable enough in the hand to use with a fan grip out of the fairway when a Buzzz just won't get you there. I will admit to it being the least used disc in the bag, but I like to believe that's because I'm rocking my Force off the T enough to go straight to my soft Magnet.
                    educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                      I'm loving the Talon. I had never thrown one until I picked up the photon. I liked it enough I was going to try one in the Z plastic, and found out it's discontinued. As to a fairway driver in my regular bag, well I do have one, the X Predator. Best damn fairway driver around. Fast enough to use a power grip off a Tee and comfortable enough in the hand to use with a fan grip out of the fairway when a Buzzz just won't get you there. I will admit to it being the least used disc in the bag, but I like to believe that's because I'm rocking my Force off the T enough to go straight to my soft Magnet.
                      The Z-Talons were my go to driver for a while (back when they were making them as a regular production item). I think if you had decided to throw them, you would have found them pretty drastically different from the Photon-Glow version, so maybe it was for the best that you didn't pick them up.

If you ever get curious, I have a stash of new, red Z-Talons and I be happy to let you test drive one.
                      Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

I sure appreciate the Talon offer, but my driver package of a Sparkle Z Force, Sparkle Z Rogue and an X Pred is set until mid summer. As much as I love the photon Talon, and I do believe you're right about it being a different disc in Z, I can't rationalize getting to familiar with a disc that would be harder to get in my picky demands of weight and color.
                        educate your thinking

Comment

I use a 2 million candle power huge light and charge it before every throw, works great.

Comment

Shucks, with a light that bright just light the hole and I'll throw my regular discs
                            educate your thinking

Comment

My son had a black light fixture, so Bob threw the discs into a box and put the light on top of it. I also tracked down a portable black light. The discs we have, the charge seems to hold for a while.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X