X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard Champion Ape! Oh My!

So last week a couple friends let me throw a couple of the new Blizzard Champion Discs...A Wraith, A couple Bosses and a Destroyer. They were very light and therefore flippy but I could see some real potential. So I got online to see what folks were saying about it. I stumbled upon Innovas "Factory Second" store and saw that they were selling Blizzard Apes and I thought "Now I should be able to throw that as hard as I want and I will never turn over on me".
    I went to see what others might be saying about the Blizzard Ape and if my research is correct it is not even out yet!!
    Sold! I bought a 138g and a 150g and a 140ish Destroyer.
    They arrived yesterday and I just got finished with some field practice and in the next post I will share the results for all who are interested.
    Just to verify, is the Blizzard Ape actually available anywhere? Or do I really have one of the select few?
    Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
    Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Originally posted by EnigmaSquad View Post
    So last week a couple friends let me throw a couple of the new Blizzard Champion Discs...A Wraith, A couple Bosses and a Destroyer. They were very light and therefore flippy but I could see some real potential. So I got online to see what folks were saying about it. I stumbled upon Innovas "Factory Second" store and saw that they were selling Blizzard Apes and I thought "Now I should be able to throw that as hard as I want and I will never turn over on me".
    I went to see what others might be saying about the Blizzard Ape and if my research is correct it is not even out yet!!
    Sold! I bought a 138g and a 150g and a 140ish Destroyer.
    They arrived yesterday and I just got finished with some field practice and in the next post I will share the results for all who are interested.
    Just to verify, is the Blizzard Ape actually available anywhere? Or do I really have one of the select few?
    ....drum roll...
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

Comment

On to the results...
      First off, these distances are accurate due to using a range finder and the dimensions of a regulation turf soccer field.
      For reference I typically throw right around 300. In the past couple weeks I have changed up a few things and have been hitting about 330 at the max end of my distance...
      Today I did some warm up throws (although I was so tempted to throw the blizzard plastic right from step one)
      started with the 140 Destroyer went about 300 on a hyzer line the whole way...very promising.
      Stepped up to the 138 Ape on a hyzer line and went about 310 and realized I did not have to worry about it flipping on me.
      First throw ever of the 150 Ape, threw it on a flat plane and it went 350!!!
      First throw ever of that disc and it was perhaps further than I have ever thrown a disc before!!
      I know 350 is nothing compared to some of you but like I said it was a personal best.
      By the end of an hour I was throwing both Apes consistantly 325 and had a nice throw that went 360 (the length of the soccer field) and was stopped by the goalie in the net on the opposite side of the field (oops)
      I cannot wait to throw these discs more.
      Thanks for sharing in my excitement with me.

Comment

That's awesome! I field tested a 134 destroyer last week and found it to be a little unpredictable for me. The 150 boss was a little better. I was really excited to see the release of the Blizzard Ape - that might be the answer I'm looking for.

The Blizzard Ape is out right now as a fundraiser for the Minnesota Majestic. You can get them at gottagogottathrow.com. I'm guessing they'll be available for general sale this summer.

Comment

Thanks for the info Scott. I am very pleased with $11 "Factory Second". I was a little worried that although they claim any blemish will not affect flight characterstics that this one would. The flights of these discs were exactly what I thought they would be like so I feel like I got a nice bargain. It is good to know that if this becomes a "distance favorite" that I can pick up more at the Majestic if they run out of "mistakes" at the innova store.

Comment

Usually they bust out a new disc (or older disc in new plastic) as a CFR fundraiser for a larger tournament (Last year for the BSF it was the Archon). Once the initial grab of first-runs and tournament stamps are gone they should be in the stores.

Comment

Originally posted by EnigmaSquad View Post
              I bought a 138g and a 150g and a 140ish Destroyer.
              Did you find much difference in stability between the 138g & 150g Apes?

Comment

I think I did.... but I need to do some more field testing...I think I am sort of subconciously putting a touch of hyzer as well as aiming further left (for a RHBH) in order to compensate.
                I will try and really concentrate on throwing both exactly the same tomorrow and let you know.

Comment

EnigmaBrother...

You're forgetting the best part...

West Sound Disc Golf Association has a boatload of fundraiser Blizzards coming in for the West Sound Challenge events!

First Event to get a crack at 'em: Discin' at the Depot, April 14th, see WA events threads!
                  Local stamp too!!

Blizzard Wraith, Boss, Katana, Destroyer. (ok, so no ape.)
                  Metal flake Roadrunner and Teebirds
                  CFR mako and champ fundraiser Vulcan.

Comment

I threw a 138 Destroyer and found it to be fun to throw. Not something that would earn a spot in my playing bag but definitely something that I will keep around for when I want to throw as far as possible in a field.

I believe that a sub 150 Ape would provide me with as much enjoyment for throwing.
                    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

I threw my new 151 Destroyer at least 25 - 30 feet farther than my normal 170 Champ Destroyer. I did throw it on more of a hyzer flip than my 170 (which NEVER turns over), and it didn't flip on me.

My only concern is what happens after it gets beat up. I'm only going to use it on huge open field shots.
                      It's not whether you've won or lost, it's how many beers you were driven to drink after you're done.

Comment

I heard from one source that the Blizzard Champion plastic beats in faster. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          I heard from one source that the Blizzard Champion plastic beats in faster. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?
                          Seems like a fair assumption... seeing that air is softer than plastic... so plastic with air in it would be softer than plastic without air in it... see how sciencey I can be? Happy Friday!
                          SDGA PR Guy.... bringing the Public to the Relations... or the Relations to the Public?

Comment