X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of opinions!

New to the forums and the game ive been playing for 3 months now and i am currently carrying in my bag, championship beast, boss pro, and soft focus for my putter. I use my Champion beast for backhand throws and my boss for side arm throws.
    I am right handed.

Just so you all know i am 80% a backhand thrower, and 90% of the time when i throw my champion beast it goes perfectly straight.

My question to you guys, for me to throw a disc father what disc should i go for?
    I know its mostly in the forum but like i said above 90% of my throws backhand are perfectly straight and eye level not high, low or super curves.

What disc could i put in my bag to help me throw a little farther on how i throw?
    I have been trying to throw my backhands as starting off to the right so they come back left.
    Last edited by Dust; September 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM.

Learn to throw backhand too.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Sorry i had my wording wrong i do throw backhand 90% of the time. I throw backhand and then sidearm only when needed.

Comment

You could probably try out something like a Katana or a Vulcan, but without seeing you throw it is pretty hard to say for sure. They're both high-speed drivers, but not extremely overstable ones.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Read this: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=26165

And get rid of the high speed drivers. Start throwing putters and mid ranges, your form will get better and so will you. Also you won't have to unlearn bad habits later on.
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post

And get rid of the high speed drivers. Start throwing putters and mid ranges, your form will get better and so will you. Also you won't have to unlearn bad habits later on.
            Great advise Sillybizz, and great link, Thank you! I think all of us need to work on some of this. I have watched Bullseye throw his Roc farther than my best throw with the Vulcan, and he's got over 10 years on me. It is all about technique, and years of practice.
            PDGA# 49616
            Stumptown# 353
            OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

^ This is great advice. The Beast is probably too fast for you. Get something like a Leopard, Teebird, or Eagle. As well as learning to throw Putters and Midranges for any shot 300' and under.

Learning to throw your Putters farther will directly correlate to more distance with your drivers. This is because putters require you to put a lot of snap or spin on them for it to travel farther because their less aerodynamic profile doesn't allow them to travel as fast as your drivers.

Comment

it's not always about the disc as many people are saying here... it's really about form and technique... i do throw vulcans and archons because i can get them to go further, but i've been playing for a looooong time and only recently picked up these faster discs... and really, i don't throw them that much further than my t-bird or my valkyrie... so chew on that, play some tournies so you can see a variety of form/technique from better, more experienced golfers... and don't worry so much about distance at this point in your game... it's way more about control and putting it in the fairway and parking your upshots and hitting your putts.
                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

The best tip? Play for longer than 3 months.

Sounds like you're on the right track, but the best secret is that there is no secret. It takes time and practice, practice, practice.

I agree with the others that the high speed drivers should be put on the shelf for now. Focus on form and technique with your putters and midranges.

By the way, welcome to disc golf and welcome to the forum. Have fun!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice! Maybe anyone recommend a nice mid range? Putter? My putter was a hammy down and its pretty beat. I do have a steady ed blow by 2 thats brand new but i didnt like throwing it.

Comment

Try a Discraft Nuke. They're great discs that work well for both backhands and forehands. They're fast and fade hard so it may take a little getting used to though. I can't throw straight to save my life but most people seem to choose either a Buzz or a Rock for those shots.

Edit: Putters:

IMO most putters are pretty much equal. Find one that fits nicely in your hand with the grip that you like to use then learn it and adjust from there. I prefer beat putters myself. Just because something's old doesn't mean you have to replace it.
                      Last edited by Reichard; September 14th, 2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reichard View Post
                        Try a Discraft Nuke. They're great discs that work well for both backhands and forehands. They're fast and fade hard so it may take a little getting used to though. I can't throw straight to save my life but most people seem to choose either a Buzz or a Rock for those shots.

Edit: Putters:

IMO most putters are pretty much equal. Find one that fits nicely in your hand with the grip that you like to use then learn it and adjust from there. I prefer beat putters myself. Just because something's old doesn't mean you have to replace it.
                        Are you kidding me? Nuke is the fastest disc or one of the fastest discs on the market. There is no need to throw anything this fast yet. Sorry but you sound like you should be taking some of this advice instead of giving any, no offense. There's a reason you can't throw straight.

Buy a putter that feels good to you, something that isn't too overstable. For a mid you can't go wrong with a Buzzz,Stingray,Roc, etc. something with a neutral flight.
                        Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I'm a big leopard fan. TLs are pretty juicy, too.

For putters, you can have more than one. Look for an overstable putter for long approaches (200' and in) and maybe something less overstable for shorter putts. There's a thread somewhere here that talks about the merits of all different types of putters - check it out. It mostly comes down to personal preference.

Comment

IMO: A DX Classic Roc is the perfect putter thrower. They start a little over stable and beat in very straight. Try one of those out.
                            Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

For a mid you can't go wrong with a Buzzz,Stingray,Roc, etc. something with a neutral flight.
                              Stingray doesn't belong in the same list with Buzzz and Roc. The Stingray is a nice disc, but very understable. A Shark or Spider would be more of a "neutral" Innova midrange.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X