Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putters are a very personal thing.
    Everybody likes something different.
    Soft or hard, sticky or slick, bead or no bead.
    Some putters are better for driving, some are just for inside the circle.

Luckily , there are many different putters that cover all of the options.

You can read page after page of glowing praise for Gateway putters, like Wizards, and Magics, but, if it doesnt feel good in your hand you won't throw well with it. Never rely on internet advice.

Going to Tom and Marys to try some different putters is your best idea.
    Also, go to Chainbangerz in Burien, Keith has more test putters there, a great big stack, and you can try a whole bunch, on a test basket with actual chains.
    You should be able to find something you like between the two stores.

Me, I'm a Vibram guy. I like that thier discs are rubber, not plastic, and they change very little over thier lifetime.
    I prefer thier overstable putter, the VP, for inside the circle, and thier stable putter, the Ridge, for driving and approach duties.

Comment

Thanks Captain jack. I still have not been to the chainbangerz shop yet maybe I will ty to make it down that way.
      10/4 5PM START Carnation weekly Random Doubles every Thursday untill we cant see our discs flying anymore. All info in the link http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8788

Comment

I have a 4 year old SSS (aka wet towel putter) Wizard that people constantly try to buy off of me, a Wizard soft, and a brand new Wizard SSS with the rainbow Led Zepplin Stamp. I also carry around 2 Candy Rhinos for driving and windy days (had each one for over 4 years).

I highly recommend both but the best advice for putting putters: do what feels good and then do what works and then find the middle ground.
        FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Originally posted by Rakoz View Post
          I highly recommend both but the best advice for putting putters: do what feels good and then do what works and then find the middle ground.
          This is the best advice. Putters I went through before hitting my core group.

Soft APX
          Challenger (Soft, Hard and FLX)
          Wizard (all plastic blends)
          Voodoo (Soft)
          Magnet (Hard and Soft)
          Focus (Hard and Soft)
          Pure (Zero line)
          Zone (ESP)
          Aviar (in every form and plastic till the Yeti's came out)
          Polecat
          Birdie
          Aero
          Banger GT (ESP)

They still lay in a tub to this day, one day I'll give them an honorable death.
          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
          Cleveland Brown

Comment

has anybody tried the wizard in the evolution plastic? like? dislike? im currently using an ss wiz and sss wiz and like them both.
            "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Misquote of Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by M.Parker View Post
              has anybody tried the wizard in the evolution plastic? like? dislike? im currently using an ss wiz and sss wiz and like them both.
              The ones that I have thrown were super grippy and fairly durable. I found them to be a little shorter with a lot less glide. They're pretty beefy, but I've thrown some S Wizards that started out more overstable than a E or HPP. Great woods disc, and is also very good in the wind (for a putter).

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Johnson View Post
                The ones that I have thrown were super grippy and fairly durable. I found them to be a little shorter with a lot less glide. They're pretty beefy, but I've thrown some S Wizards that started out more overstable than a E or HPP. Great woods disc, and is also very good in the wind (for a putter).
                cheers sean. i guess im gonna have to get a new putter
                "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Misquote of Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by M.Parker View Post
                  cheers sean. i guess im gonna have to get a new putter
                  I found the Warlock to be my favorite in Gateway's SSS plastic. I bought six of them in the same color and weight, and looking for 4-more when I can for putting practice. Then I numbered them so I can track flight changes. This has completely changed my putting game. I cannot drive worth a darn, but I now nail my putts regularly.
                  I also have putt with an E wizard, and E warlock. I like the E plastic for an upshot disc, it feels like a higher quality Star plastic to me. But the E plastic Wizard and Warlock stays at home most of the time. They just don't fly or feel the same to me as the SSS. In addition they don't seem to replace my Aviar and Rhyno for upshot discs.
                  I would agree with everyone else that it is all about feel, and comfort. Find a putter you like (preferably easy to get a hold of), buy at least 5 of them once your sure you like it in the same plastic, mold, and weight (Thank you Emma Rose for the best putting advise ever), and putt hundreds of times with the putter you know in all conditions, elevations, and positions. When you need the shot it will be there in your muscle memory.
                  PDGA# 49616
                  Stumptown# 353
                  OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

here goes nothing........

the wife and I both have been using DX175 XD+ putters
                    and we need something a little slower, softer, and grabbier.

so I just ordered 8 sss 174 magic from marshall st. (they were $4.99 on clearance)

time for some putting practice, as we both need more help

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                      here goes nothing........

the wife and I both have been using DX175 XD+ putters
                      and we need something a little slower, softer, and grabbier.

so I just ordered 8 sss 174 magic from marshall st. (they were $4.99 on clearance)

time for some putting practice, as we both need more help
                      Good choice, I know many who like the magic.
                      PDGA# 49616
                      Stumptown# 353
                      OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                        I would try out the Ringer by Discraft. It goes in every time...EVERY time.
                        Sex Panther quote D?

NB,
                        my money is on D Ringers, Lat Sinus, Discmania P2, or another Aviar - JK (mostly because its getting to winter)

Those are all great neutral to stable Putters for a moderate speed spin putt.
                        Personally, I dig the ringer and P2

hope this helps your endevours

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                          Yes they do. Very good for spin putts. And very good for approaches if you have some power to your drive.

That's why the ever elusive Z ones are so wonderful....

The only other suggestion I have for a putter is a Focus by Discraft. They are like a Challenger/Wizard cross and have enough stability to be driven and putted with in a head wind. They also come in a hard and soft version.
                          I always forget about the focus... and I have been on the edge of putting a few in the bag... and I think I have the room for it.

Scales, I think its time we harp on dion for more z ringers... and we need to get them in White. or Ti plastic... lol

Btw that Sparkle force I got from you is EXTRA awesome that was one of the best pickups i have had in a while.
                          Last edited by Stephen.Sines; October 22nd, 2012, 06:44 AM. Reason: Pinkal's insaitable Mother

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen.Sines View Post
                            I always forget about the focus... and I have been on the edge of putting a few in the bag... and I think I have the room for it.

Scales, I think its time we harp on dion for more z ringers... and we need to get them in White. or Ti plastic... lol

Btw that Sparkle force I got from you is EXTRA awesome that was one of the best pickups i have had in a while.
                            I totally agree! Discraft posted something on Facebook awhile back about the Ringer and I harped on them for a premium plastic version. Which started a revolution of people wanting them in at least Z or ESP. A Ti Ringer would be too much awesome for my brain to handle! It's Discraft's equivalent of a Rhyno yet they refuse to make it in premium plastic. It's very frustrating.

Glad that you like that Force . I have a 167 gram one laying around that is just as overstable as that one I sold you. Those First Run Player's Cups are the most overstable run of any Force I've ever thrown. Even more overstable then the legendary pop top Pink Z's that everyone clamors for.

On a related putter note, Tomas at Latitude has promised that Goldline Spikes will be made this winter. He also stated that they had never tried to make a Sinus in a premium plastic. It was stated that the next time they mold up some Sinus's, they will mold up some Opto ones. That would be AWESOME! Then I would just have to have Premium Ringers and Goldline Spikes and I'd be the happiest disc golfer in all the land!
                            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                              I totally agree! Discraft posted something on Facebook awhile back about the Ringer and I harped on them for a premium plastic version. Which started a revolution of people wanting them in at least Z or ESP. A Ti Ringer would be too much awesome for my brain to handle! It's Discraft's equivalent of a Rhyno yet they refuse to make it in premium plastic. It's very frustrating.

Glad that you like that Force . I have a 167 gram one laying around that is just as overstable as that one I sold you. Those First Run Player's Cups are the most overstable run of any Force I've ever thrown. Even more overstable then the legendary pop top Pink Z's that everyone clamors for.

On a related putter note, Tomas at Latitude has promised that Goldline Spikes will be made this winter. He also stated that they had never tried to make a Sinus in a premium plastic. It was stated that the next time they mold up some Sinus's, they will mold up some Opto ones. That would be AWESOME! Then I would just have to have Premium Ringers and Goldline Spikes and I'd be the happiest disc golfer in all the land!
                              I would throw a gold sinus in a heartbeat and not only that it would be a hair fast than the zone.
                              I may be interested in that 167 force if you are willing to barter.
                              I'll PM

Btw Ringers in x plastic would be extra rad. I like mine a little gummy/glidey

Comment

I like the spike over the XD because of their added bulk
                                good putter.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X