X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me on some new putters

I am looking to get a couple of new putters. I have been throwing a 2nd hand Birdie putter and an Avair. They are a little beat up and I am ready to try something new. Anything I should not have missing from the bag?
    10/4 5PM START Carnation weekly Random Doubles every Thursday untill we cant see our discs flying anymore. All info in the link http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8788

Depends on your putting style. Spin? Push? A combination of the two?

In my bag at the moment are three different molds of putters in five different plastics.

Yeti Pro Aviar. Thing is money and the first Aviar I've had in my bag in four years.
    Zero Line Spike. Thing is super money. Stiff enough to push putt with without feeling like my thumb is going through the top of the disc. Tacky enough to grab a single link and stay in.
    Grip Line Spike. Driving putter. I have two at the moment. A new one that stays straight to slight left fade if needed. Beat one that stays straight to right. More ace runs with these then most any of my other discs.
    Pro-D Ringer. Wind putter. If everything else is getting batted around when I'm practicing, I know this thing will stay on line. Kinda flies like a brick though. Not a glidey putter.

I've been messing around with a few different putters as well but none that will replace my goto's.

P1 and P2 from Discmania. Seems like an Aviar to me and I really can't tell the difference between the 1 and the 2. They seem like the exact same disc even though they say they haven't different flights. My buddy Brian swears by them and has one of each.
    Soft Ion. Thing just want's to keep going and even though the top is soft, the outside rubber is hard. Great looking disc and innovative. Just doesn't do anything better then my other putters so it's not earning a permanent bag spot.
    10m Brick. Thing has the appropriate name. Seriously brick like in flight and seems to kill the chains when it hits them. That's if you can get it to the chains in the first place.

Hope any of this helps.
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

Comment

Thanks GS! I will look into those putters you suggested. I am a spin putter and have been looking into a rhyno. Need a good putter for the wind also so I will read up on that Ringer aswell. Thanks again.
      10/4 5PM START Carnation weekly Random Doubles every Thursday untill we cant see our discs flying anymore. All info in the link http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=8788

Comment

Discraft Banger GT's are great spin putt discs

Comment

Try a Gateway Putter. They make 4 excellent putters. 3 of their molds are essentially improved versions of the Aviar.

The Wizard is their most stable putter and feels a lot like a KC Pro Aviar because of the big bead.

The Voodoo has a much smaller bead and flies like a beat up Wizard.

The Warlock is essentially a Wizard without the Bead, and flies the least stable out of the three.

They also have a putter called the Magic that's not based off the Aviar and flies really understable.

All Gateway putter fly great in the wind because they're molded gyroscopic-ally, meaning heavier and thicker out on the rim and thinner and lighter on the flightplate. This makes them fly further, more consistent and just all around better than the Aviar.

The MVP Ion essentially takes gyroscopic molding to the next level with their Ion, but why drop $20 on an Ion when you can get Wizards that fly just as well for $10.

Inside the 10M line all putter will essentially fly the same. Find one that you get a comfortable and consistent grip with. Also helps if it doubles as your approach and driving putter as well. I'm a big proponent of carrying only one putter mold.

Oh yeah and about the P1 and P2 since I'm a little bit of a Discmania expert...

The P1 is an Aviar Putt and Approach same mold and everything just rebranded and a different stamp.

The P2 is an Aviar X or Aviar Driver with an added spacer in the mold to give it a little higher shoulder height and with out the bead.

They shouldn't fly similar at all the P1 should be quite understable off the tee while the P2 will be almost to the overstable side of the scale. Both very good putters though.

Comment

Originally posted by himynameismatt View Post
            Try a Gateway Putter. They make 4 excellent putters. 3 of their molds are essentially improved versions of the Aviar.

The Wizard is their most stable putter and feels a lot like a KC Pro Aviar because of the big bead.

The Voodoo has a much smaller bead and flies like a beat up Wizard.
            I second the Gateway suggestion. I have carried a Voodoo and Wizard for two years now and it's true love. The SSS plastic (Stupid Super Soft) is very grippy and feels great.

Putters are very personal though so find something that just feels right in your hand. That's all that matters.

Comment

I would try out the Ringer by Discraft. It goes in every time...EVERY time.
              Team DISCRAFT
              NW Sign Up
              Gorilla Boy
              Paragon Disc Golf
              Odwalla

Comment

+3 on gateway putters, I have the sss(super stupid soft) wizard. This is a stable putter and works very well, grabs chains and stays in more than falls out.
                Hukin since 1992
                DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                  Yes they do. Very good for spin putts. And very good for approaches if you have some power to your drive.

That's why the ever elusive Z ones are so wonderful....

The only other suggestion I have for a putter is a Focus by Discraft. They are like a Challenger/Wizard cross and have enough stability to be driven and putted with in a head wind. They also come in a hard and soft version.
                  "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                  Cleveland Brown

Comment

Right on! Thanks for all the input everyone. I will just have to head down to Mandos and try a bunch of different ones and see what feels right. Atleast i have a little direction now. Take care and thanks again!

Comment

I was all about the Wizard/Voodoo combo for something like three years (and they are awesome), but then I got my hands on a Vibram Ridge and a Summit. Never looked back.

Comment

luckily putters are in more affordable base plastics, so buy and try a few. if they work, cool. if not pass them on, try a few others.
                        educate your thinking

Comment

wizard ss and focus

Comment

A putter is a putter is a putter. It is just you getting used to the feel and the flight. Go to a shop and hold a bunch of them. If it feels right it probably is. Get three of them in the same weight and color. Learn them love them. If it doesn't work, try again.
                            Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

in in the end

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                              Good one!
                              Eventually my Aviar by Innova, goes in EVERY time also.
                              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                              - Anonymous

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X