X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basket Locking Systems

Now that we have these 9 new Discatchers about to go in the ground in Carnation I need to lock them down. What is the best lock and where do I get 9 of them that open with the same key? 12 days til they're in the ground!
    Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

I think the most common is just a good Master Lock, you can get 6 packs keyed alike at most hardware stores.
    Get 2 six packs, it means you will have two possible keys, but three spare locks.

Comment

the club here in tacoma used cast iron sleeve over the pole and had a cut out for the lock

Comment

Go to your local locksmith shop and order them. Makes it easy when you need more later on. Also, hit them up for sponsorship of the course. You can get a discount that way.

Comment

Right on Getty!!! Post some directions when you can...

Comment

Originally posted by Getty View Post
            Now that we have these 9 new Discatchers about to go in the ground in Carnation I need to lock them down. What is the best lock and where do I get 9 of them that open with the same key? 12 days til they're in the ground!
            GET THE ROUND LOCKS AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE MASTERLOCK!!!!!!!!! ALL THE OTHER LOCKS CAN BE CUT AND OTHER ROUND LOCKS ARE CRAP. sorry about the caps . if someone wants the basket all they have to do is undo the nuts and bolts down at the lock and they can jack it without cutting the lock. we came up with a sleeve to go over the lock and tab assembly to keep that from happening. We have some for sale at 9 for $150. They keep the lock clean and basket safe,small price to not lose a $300 basket. they are on all 60 of your baskets. we also filled half the bucket with concrete,then after it hardened we put the collar on the top of that and add more concrete. It made it so that it was deeper in the ground which will make it harder to steal the whole thing.
            We all should take better care in our courses

Comment

Make sure to tack weld the top to the pole and the collar by the lock to the pole so they can't be unbolted and stolen as Kilmer pointed out.

Comment

Eh, doesn't stop someone from coming in with a hack saw, or battery packed sawzall....Ala Trojan hole 12. Just cut it off at the top of the collar and off they went with the basket.

Comment

We've gotten a few partially cut, bloody basket pipes and broken blades when someone tried to cut the pipe that way. We drop a stick or two of loose rebar in the pipe and that wreaks havoc with sawing attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                    We've gotten a few partially cut, bloody basket pipes and broken blades when someone tried to cut the pipe that way. We drop a stick or two of loose rebar in the pipe and that wreaks havoc with sawing attempts.
                    Great idea! Just fill it with basalt gravel after the rebar goes down there. That should slow 'em down too.

As far as tack welding the collars, I recommend brazing, as the zinc is a great flux for bronze to flow. With a small oxy/acetylene rig, they can even be done in place. Just sweat the bronze down one side of the collars and it's done. Granted, they will be pretty permanently one-piece deals after that. But, if you can grind that tack weld away, so can the thieves.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Good idea about brazing. I'll pass it on to our designers group.

Comment

Welding a chain inside the pole works like dropping the rebar down into the pole. Having a good shroud to protect the lock is crucial to keeping the baskets safe. Now if someone could get a good design like at DELA for a donation box that is secure from thieves , that would be the BOMB.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I decided to imbed cobras, rattlers and scorpions in the poles and maybe a gator or two, and I ain't talking discs here. Concrete gets poured Saturday, baskets get locked into position after work Tuesday.
                          Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X