Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burge View Post
    A cart? A CART!?

I would consider a cart to be the antithesis of the entire idea of disc golf. If you seriously think you need a cart, then you seriously need to think about carrying less plastic.

I carry 18 discs -- max, usually 12-15, or 10 for night rounds, but I know I could get by with just 2 or 3. Sure, I've got a lot of plastic too, probably 30-40 kickin' around that I don't even throw or that are backups of a critical disc, but even when I carry 18, I usually only use about 6 of those discs 95% of the time.

I've seen a couple of yokels truckin' carts around on our rugged courses over the years...they really look just as foolish as the ya-hoos that are so afraid to put their enormous bag on the ground that they have the little stool to hold it up.

If you think your ability to play a good round is limited by the amount of plastic you can lug (or cart) around the course, then maybe you should think about expanding your abilities before you expand your inventory.
    Or maybe his back hurts?

I am what I am because of who we all are.
    Wow, way to take responsibility for yourself, dude.
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Okay everyone...obviously, I went off half-cocked and I sincerely apologize, my rant was not intended at anyone personally, especially not Maidenrules (because Maiden does RULE) and maybe my point bears a little clarification, but there are quite a few assumptions that were made within your responses that are as unfounded as some of my assertions...

First of all, I should have left an allowance for those that suffer from chronic pain, yet still love the sport to do whatever it takes to get out there and throw. I don't disparage those people for using a cart...good reason.

Second, of course, there are legitimate tournament situations where there may be a crowded course with a lot of groups and many players spend more time waiting to throw than actually throwing...another good reason. Bring your stool...you'll need it.

Then, how could I forget the serious pros that, while in the middle of a crucial tourney, don't necessarily throw 20 different discs in the round, but want to be prepared for any contingency that might cause them to lose a disc or two and want to have a backup, or six of the same disc in different plastics and varying levels of wear...ok, reason number three. However, when I see someone with a massive bag and a stool, playing a casual solo round, and the only thing they're using the stool for is to keep their bag from touching the ground, it's just a peacock tail.

Also, I should make the distinction that our in-town courses (Highbridge, Downriver and Peoples Park) are all within fairly rugged terrain whereas I would see a cart as a burden more than a convenience. Subsequently, those that I have seen dragging a cart of some kind through the roughest parts do look as if they are burdening themselves with the security of su'perfluous material goods -- particularly the ones that feel the need to strap on a boombox. Music is entirely a matter of personal preference and to each their own, but I come to the course to listen to the soundtrack that is provided: the river, the birds, the breeze and the occasional 'ching'...unfortunately, it doesn't have a volume knob -- call me a purist, but if that isn't good enough for someone, they make these crazy little things called iPods.

I can relate with Emma and Matt as I have an ancient lower back injury that limits my flexibility, bruised bones in my right ankle that still hurt from hyper-extending it during a fall six weeks ago and rheumatiod arthritis to boot,-- still, I carry a bag. I guess I like to travel light. It just has discs, a towel, water, and a slingshot. Even then, I still enjoy just grabbing three discs and taking my chances with the trees.

In all, I fail to see the need to flaunt disc golf prowess or age, Matt -- yes, I came off as an opinionated grouch, but If you must know, I've been flippin' lids since the early 70's, won a distance and accuracy competition sponsored by Wham-O and Spokane Parks & Rec when I was 12, played ultimate while attending Evergreen, and have been playing disc golf long enough to keep it under par. I guess I'm just the old dude with a bag, but I'm never out to whup anyone's ass. When it becomes a pissing contest, that's when the fun ends.

What I would consider to be 'the essence of disc golf' is being able to enjoy the course and its natural setting, while playing a challenging and rewarding game with others who wish to do the same.

Oh, and TreeLove, my 'signature' is not a diffusion of responsibility for my actions...quite the contrary. It's an old Banfi philosophy that speaks to the idea that we are all connected, like a 'universal family'. I'm taking responsibility for my flying-off-the-handle earlier because I obviously hurt my family and they let me know about it.

Sorry kids.
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Okay everyone...obviously, I went off half-cocked and I sincerely apologize,

Apology accepted

In all, I fail to see the need to flaunt disc golf prowess or age, Matt -- yes, I came off as an opinionated grouch, but If you must know, I've been flippin' lids since the early 70's, won a distance and accuracy competition sponsored by Wham-O and Spokane Parks & Rec when I was 12, played ultimate while attending Evergreen, and have been playing disc golf long enough to keep it under par. I guess I'm just the old dude with a bag, but I'm never out to whup anyone's ass. When it becomes a pissing contest, that's when the fun ends.

The fun ended when you declared a cart user to be the antithesis of disc golf, but I know what you are saying. I didn't start any pissing contests here, but I don't mind joining one when my hackles are up.

I'm taking responsibility for my flying-off-the-handle earlier because I obviously hurt my family and they let me know about it.

GROUP HUG!

Sorry kids.

Comment

The fun ended when you declared a cart user to be the antithesis of disc golf, but I know what you are saying. I didn't start any pissing contests here, but I don't mind joining one when my hackles are up.
          OK, Matt, I guess one more clarification is in order...

If you'll notice, I said, in the beginning:

I would consider a cart to be the antithesis of the entire idea of disc golf.
          ...not the user.

To put it plainly, when I see a cart, the first thing that comes to mind is ball golf and, really, I think ball golf is the antithesis of disc golf. Golf is a game that was created by wealthy royalty, for wealthy royalty. Even though modern ball golf is not exclusive to a reigning monarchy, it is still a sport that is fraught with social and economic barriers.

Disc Golf is a game that is of the people, by the people and for the people.

Every time I drive to Downriver DGC, and I drive past the lower end of Downriver Ball Golf Course, with nothing but rich, over-dressed, old ball knockin' white dudes driving around in $10K golf carts, and I think:
          "man, I am so glad I don't play a sport where I have to spend thousands of dollars on clubs, clothes, shoes, balls, a cart, greens fees, range time and country club dues while I contribute to a massive yearly pollution of pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer and wasted water on a huge tract of land that isn't even growing any food crops. Instead, I get to go to a beautiful, natural course where the plant-life is allowed to grow and change on its own, I get to wear whatever I want, it only costs me my gas to get there and sweat equity contribution to the course to play, I grab my $100 worth of plastic and I'm ready to throw. "
          Plus, dude, the pissing contest/fun-ending remark was not directed at you, (although I can totally see how you could get that) I mean playing with people who are out for a pissing contest...not people who are highly competitive, that's fun -- It's people who are aggressively competitive. That's what ruins a good time.

Cheers!
          Last edited by Burge; June 30th, 2011, 08:10 PM.
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

OK, Matt, I guess one more clarification is in order...

If you'll notice, I said, in the beginning:

...not the user.

And then you said a whole lot of other stuff too, but I already accepted your sincere apology and offered a group hug so I'm not going to play the parse the statement game.

Plus, dude, the pissing contest/fun-ending remark was not directed at you, (although I can totally see how you could get that) I mean playing with people who are out for a pissing contest

A lot of what you said came across as a pissing contest even though you didn't intend it that way

Cheers!
            Now can we hug it out?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udj8cX_j_wc

Comment

Carts are cool... Drama is not... Especially over carts!

Comment

burge,

ball golf was actually invented by shepherds in the fields with sheep and shillelaghs. it has not always been a rich man's sport although indeed it has become one (or rich lady's sport... whatever)

... i do not believe, however, that ball golf is the antithesis of disc golf... without ball golf we would not have disc golf and at the core of each sport is the same joy and nearly unexplainable attraction and obsession and pureness of... something intangible that keeps us playing...

... again, i will recommend to everyone to read golf in the kingdom by michael murphy... also follow the wind by bo links is pretty cool, too, and more of a fun fictiony summer read type of thing...

anyway, just sayin'...

em
                  "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                  Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Just trying to be proactive at age 43 to save my back and shoulders. I have a lot of rounds in the future with my daughter who is now 17 months. The GoCart looks like it might be worth it. Does anybody have any friends that have one?
                    Putting......heh...EASIEST THING IN THE WORLD!

Comment

I could see myself rolling the cart when I get older.
                      Something with a built in seat, and a small cooler.

I would not get a stroller or a golf bag cart and modify it though,
                      I wanna nice DG rig, like this one;

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
                        I could see myself rolling the cart when I get older.
                        Something with a built in seat, and a small cooler.

I would not get a stroller or a golf bag cart and modify it though,
                        I wanna nice DG rig, like this one;

That's cool looking cart.

Comment

I like the mud guards.. I hate the spray marks my cart leaves This thing is pretty sweet but I would look into some rims I would probably dye a couple discs and glue them over the wheels. I would bet that they would fit perfectly!
                          Relax and enjoy your hair
                          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

I set my bag on my 4 pronged chair not to protect the bottom of my bag with a lifetime warranty but because That's 24 inches that I don't have to lift my bag. I don't have to bend to grab my discs as far and I have a healthy back. I just want to keep it that way. If I'm inside of 12 feet I don't mark my lie. One less time I got to bend over. Little things really add up if you play alot. That's what separates the great players from the good players, little things like technique or minor adjustments that mean everything when executing a shot.
                            Relax and enjoy your hair
                            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

[/QUOTE]

Wow... thats sleek. Danish Modern? The Eames Cart?

I feel bad now that I skimped and got the IKEA version, the "DiSKA".
                              Sure it works, but I had to put it together myself. Anyone want to trade plastic for a few extra cam bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by WestsoundBT View Post
                                Wow... thats sleek. Danish Modern? The Eames Cart?

I feel bad now that I skimped and got the IKEA version, the "DiSKA".
                                Sure it works, but I had to put it together myself. Anyone want to trade plastic for a few extra cam bolts?[/QUOTE]

Thats why I don't shop at Ikea anymore. Stupid Swedish fiberboard furniture.
                                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X