Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nike ball golf shoes for disc golf?? yes!!

I picked up 2 pairs of new Nike ball golf shoes on ebay for less than 70$. Thats 35 per pair with shipping.I have been looking for a realy grippy and water resistant shoe for disc golf. New balance shoes are what I have been using. A good shoe but not water resistant at all. So I got my shoes this weekend and gave them a tuff trial by going to Fenwick DGC. Its a real mud hole but realy cool place to disc.

The fitment and wear= a bit tight around the outside of my little toe, otherwise nice and comfey. They look good too, kinda like low top tenny-runners. I can definately tell they have cleats, kinda squishy feeling on the concrete but fine everywhere else. I was feeling like a goat while doing some uphill walking.

Concrete t-pads= a little less grip than I thought, mabe when the cleats wear a bit this will improve.

Rubber t-pads= Exellent grip!! I thought I would slip a little but NO. I would rather have rubber t-pads for ball golf shoes, its a perfect match.

Earth t-pads= Super traction, well duh they're golf shoes. Kinda scary traction in the dirt/grass/mud.

Water resistant/proof= yes! however I did spray them with a leather/suade water proofing spray I got at wilsons leather. I went all the way to the top of the shoe in the muck for a putter and had no issuess. Took the shoes home and washed them off.

Cleats= cheap enough to replace, 12$ for 18 cleats. There are 7 replaceable cleats per shoe. I have played 54 holes so far and the cleats show some wear but not too bad yet. No cleats have fallen and or torn off yet.

I realy wish I had these shoes for Hagg Lake,Oregon. They would have been perfect I think...
    I will update this again in a week and let ya know how things work out.
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

NO!!!

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
    Rubber t-pads= Exellent grip!! I thought I would slip a little but NO. I would rather have rubber t-pads for ball golf shoes, its a perfect match.
    OMG! If I saw someone teeing off on one of our course's painstakingly installed rubber pads, while they were wearing ball-knocker cleats, I'd shout them off the course! You're gonna rip the crap out of those pads.

BTW: You're traction on the concrete is only going to get worse as the cleats wear down.

If you really feel the need to wear cleats, get a pair of rubber-cleated baseball shoes. Or the shoes with low-profile cleats used for indoor soccer and arena football.

If you really want a versatile and durable shoe that is going to have excellent traction on a multitude of surfaces, and give you the same 'firm' feel that golf cleats provide, try looking at something called an 'approach' shoe--especially the kind with 'high-friction' soles.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I have seen some people playing with Football shoes. They claim that they cleats are perfect for wet weather. My concern with cleats being that they grip WELL. I can see a blown out knee due to the body twisting and the knee getting stuck due to the cleats. To each their own I guess.

I played in wrestling shoes for awhile. They were great till I wore through the toe from dragging it on my follow through.
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Burge View Post
        OMG! If I saw someone teeing off on one of our course's painstakingly installed rubber pads, while they were wearing ball-knocker cleats, I'd shout them off the course! You're gonna rip the crap out of those pads.

BTW: You're traction on the concrete is only going to get worse as the cleats wear down.

If you really feel the need to wear cleats, get a pair of rubber-cleated baseball shoes. Or the shoes with low-profile cleats used for indoor soccer and arena football.

If you really want a versatile and durable shoe that is going to have excellent traction on a multitude of surfaces, and give you the same 'firm' feel that golf cleats provide, try looking at something called an 'approach' shoe--especially the kind with 'high-friction' soles.
        Ball golf "cleats" are plastic. Most courses don't allow the old steel style any more.

When I started disc golfing I would wear my golf shoes, they did provide great traction, but they couldn't handle the abuse of the course. I tried my football cleats for a while too (Nike Shark), they are very wide and the cleats are pretty soft.
        A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Wow, interesting info here. I like the idea of wrestling shoes for concrete pads, but I'd be scared about something going through the bottom of the soft sole when off the pad. Has anyone tried discus/shotputt shoes? they have major bottom thickness, no tread so great for the side to side (lateral) motion, and I believe pretty good to protection over the top of the shoe, which would be beneficial for toe draggers.

Comment

Mabe I shoulda said that the cleats are hard RUBBER! I forgot to mention that. There is a wide variety of rubber cleats available. Sorry for the confusion..
            Hukin since 1992
            DGOD #115

Comment

I've used (and love) indoor soccer shoes. Grippy but relatively smooth bottom. Awesome on dry pads, dirt, and grass. NOT a good shoe in wet conditions.

Comment

Update on the shoes. Ok so I have played 144 holes and the only thing is that the rubber cleats wear faster than I thought. I was in some heavy rain yesterday, and deep in the $%$# today with no issues with traction or water/mud. I realy wish I'da had these shoes this last winter!!
                Hukin since 1992
                DGOD #115

Comment

Can you give us the model name or a link so we know what shoe you are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
                    Can you give us the model name or a link so we know what shoe you are talking about?
                    here ya go!! Nike Air Zoom Elite 2
                    http://www.golfshoesonly.com/shoe/ni...-ace.aspx?gd=2
                    Hukin since 1992
                    DGOD #115

Comment

interesting... can't even fit my paddle feet into nike's though. I go with the Garmond Sticky Dragons for waterproof and even they are too tight... I can't wait till summer so I can play without the big hiking boots.
                      FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Rakoz them some nice shoes! I think I'm gona stop by REI and have a look at some different kicks. Ya know research right??
                        Hukin since 1992
                        DGOD #115

Comment

I still say no to all those teeth.

I just ordered myself a pair of these...

http://www.sportiva.com/products/foo...oach/boulder-x

I used to have a pair of the Cirque Pro but they finally died last summer and I miss the incredible grip and support that these shoes provide.
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

they work great on all dirt course but not so good on hard pades

Comment

I gotta say, I would feel a bit silly if I showed up on the course with these on. Not saying they're not practical, I just don't like the look.
                              Basket thieves

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X