X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc golfers elbow advice/Elbow braces

So I have developed a slight case of Disc golfer's elbow, which I guess is technically tennis elbow. I have pain on the outside of my elbow anyway. The pain is mild so far, and there is no pain during normal activity, but I can tell that somethings rotten in Denmark.

I have been resting the elbow, and using ice and a heating pad to help the healing.

My questions are:

What are the proper intervals for the ice and heating pads? hot then cold, cold then hot? and how many times?

Can I use one of those Tennis elbow braces in a PDGA tournament?

Do these things actually work?

Is there anything else I can do to help me play with this injury?

Has anyone else been through this, And what did you do to fix it?

Finally, in a perfect world, is there an elbow brace that keeps your arm from hyper extending at the elbow and would that be legal in the PDGA?

I am playing a tournament this weekend, but then have 2 weeks to rest up, I am hoping that will give my arm a chance to heal up. I have read some articles online and this seems to be a chronic injury... this has me worried as summer is approaching and I have a lot of tournaments coming up.

I have been told that my throw has caused this because I don't follow through, among other things. I have been shown a way to throw that is considered "proper". Heres the thing... I don't want to practice so I can rest my arm, but I need to practice this new technique so I don't further injure my arm. I have a tournament in three days, where I know I am going to fall back into my old form because I want to win!!!! AHHHHH! Who knew disc golf could be so stressful.

Part of me wants to cancel the tournament and play it safe, but the other part of me wants to play for obvious reasons...

I don't want to be the quarterback from the movies who plays against doctors orders and has a career ending injury

Thanks for reading and for your help answering any of my questions!

I have found a padded velcro strap that you wrap around your forearm to be helpful in preventing and reducing elbow pain. Also, if you throw predominantly forehand, switch it up and throw more backhands, or vice versa. And of course, remember that your lifelong freedom from pain is far more important than one tourney win.
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Same problem last spring...get a good brace, and that's not just based on price. Try a few on in the store, go for comfort and stability. Then do what I did, get your doctor to give you a nice cortisone injection. Oh the brace helped, the needle sent it away. Good luck, take the time to heal right or you'll regret it later.
      'J'
      educate your thinking

Comment

Cycles of 15 minutes on the hot and cold.

Comment

PT

Get to PT if you can and determine if it's a localized soft tissue issue or the nerves that run from your neck down through your arm. Both cause extreme pain and inflamation in that meat that connects to your elbow.

Mine was the latter and it's improving with stretches and strengthening.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am going to pick up one of those brace thingys today. I think i will use one of those and just take it easy this weekend.

If things get real bad I will get one of those Cortisone shots, does that stuff actually heal the area or is it just to mask the pain?

Comment

To tell you the truth I don't know if the cortisone cures or masks, but it does deal with the swelling. My doc will give me one every 3 months if it flares up, and then it goes away. You playing the Sushi this weekend?
              educate your thinking

Comment

If you have tennis elbow, the more you play the worse it can get. I let my tennis elbow heal for three months and then wore a neoprene sleeve with a built in strap to keep pressure on the tendon for about six months. This is not something that you want to play through, and cortisone injections will only mask the symptoms which is why you have to keep getting them. Icing it is good but only time will cause the pain to go away.

Comment

You will need an actual doctor's confirmation of what it is, there is a huge difference depending if it is muscualar, nerves, tendons or whatnot. This will help you know more what you need to do to treat, heal and maintain a healthy throwing arm than trial and error.

If it is painful, Ice works. Heat is for "soreness" in concept. Ice should be on for 15-20 minutes every hour.

I'm only 29 years old, but since I have the PE degree, I know that the best method of treating injuries is preventing them before they come! Proper warming up and stretching does wonders! The warmer your body is, specifically the parts being used, the lower the risks are for general injury and so forth. I have a warm up routine that I always do before even throwing my first throw, alot of people look at me like an idiot but it works, plus I wear an arm sleeve from pearl izumi that keeps my arm warm and compressed. This keeps my chances of injury much lower plus it keeps soreness to a minimum when wearing it for 30-60 minutes after completing a round. These things really do work, that is why we are seeing more and more professional athletes wear arm sleeves, some are thin, some are thick and warm, i wear the thick and warm types, $30 for the pair. Good luck on healing your arm quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                    To tell you the truth I don't know if the cortisone cures or masks, but it does deal with the swelling. My doc will give me one every 3 months if it flares up, and then it goes away. You playing the Sushi this weekend?

Yep, Sushi Classic it is! I got one of those tennis elbow braces, and it seems to help, I haven't tried throwing though. Sounds like the cortisone shots are a little extreme at this point, and the idea that it just masks the problem is not good.

We will see how this weekend goes, I might have to hang up the ol' disc bag for the summer... 6 months sounds like a nightmare, but I suppose the alternative is much worse.

I could learn how to throw left handed, I would suck at first, but I bet that I could get semi decent, and once my right arm healed it would be useful to have a left handed throw no matter how crappy it is.

Comment

I've recently started wearing a compression sleeve, like you'll see NBA players. I've tried the velcrow armbands in the past and they worked well. The compression sleeve has basically eliminated what pain I started feeling after rounds, and was a relatively cheap investment (15 dollars) I got it a size smaller than what really felt comfortable, to keep a hefty bit of compression on the forearm. So far no complaints other than needing to learn to play with it on.

Comment

Interesting, thanks, guys, I am going to work on:
                        *) finding some of those arm sleeves
                        *) stretching out and keeping warm before, during, and after play
                        *) preemptive use of NSAIDs
                        *) hydrating properly before, during, and after play
                        *) start throwing more lefties (like I did for 6 months while shoulder tendonitis caused by a huge thumber on cold muscles healed - I got 2 lefty aces!)
                        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mayumoogy View Post
                          Yep, Sushi Classic it is! I got one of those tennis elbow braces, and it seems to help, I haven't tried throwing though. Sounds like the cortisone shots are a little extreme at this point, and the idea that it just masks the problem is not good.

We will see how this weekend goes, I might have to hang up the ol' disc bag for the summer... 6 months sounds like a nightmare, but I suppose the alternative is much worse.

I could learn how to throw left handed, I would suck at first, but I bet that I could get semi decent, and once my right arm healed it would be useful to have a left handed throw no matter how crappy it is.
                          I am currently recovering from Epicondylitis(tennis or golfers elbow although most people who get it do not do either).It was diagnosed by a doctor and was given an Elbow owners manual.There are 2 kinds of Epicondylitis...Lateral and Medial(outside and inside) I had both although the indide was not as bad as the outside.Icing helps with swelling but I used Ibuprofen and hot tub jet to relax and stretch the sore area.The straps/braces are great.I bought one with an air pillow in it and wore it most of the time at home and one without for golf....best money i spent in awhile.I recommend Ace brand and i got them at Walgreens on sale.I just played the 3po and my arm feels better everyday.I cannot agree more that stretching and warming up are imperative especially if you throw disc.....even more so if your 50 like me.

Comment

A couple of questions about this Ace thing. I got the brace with the little pillow in it, they said you could use the pillow on the outer or inner side of the arm. Does it matter which way I use it? And how close do I need to get to the elbow for this thing to work? I am just going by what I see on the picture.

Comment

Generally you'd place the pillow near where the pain is, on the upper part of your forearm below the elbow.

As far as the compression sleeve, it keeps the muscles themselves warmer, which I think helps with our quick burst movements. I'm going to stick with the sleeve and can give more feedback the more I golf. So far it is way more comfortable than the couple of armbands I have worn.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X