Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the PDGA created or an inventor patented a basket design that was turned over to the PDGA to become the "official" target, it would not have external chains because it likely could not be radially symmetrical. The members were clear that they wanted chains in the survey completed several years ago. http://www.pdga.com/pdga-documents/t...-member-survey So I don't see much hope in the short term for resolving this conflict to move toward establishing an official target design for our sport.

Comment

couldn't resist

Originally posted by NoLoPutts View Post
      This is a funny thread. If you throw a perfect putt it is in. If it doesn't stay in it wasn't perfect. I don't see other way to look at it. You can hum and haw all you want but the proof is in the pudding.
      OR, maybe the Proof is in the Putting!
      I think it is a ridiculous idea to even think we could/should change what we already have in regards to the hundreds of courses out there.
      It is what it is.
      How many of us complain when a chunder putt goes in?
      Derek, Dave ....... suck it up and focus a wee bit more.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      - Anonymous

Comment

When I'm doing putting practice, and I get one of those gift putts to stick, I consciously do not count it as a good shot and try to avoid doing it again. It just seems so plain to me. Everyone plays with the same baskets. Yes, if I make a good looking putt that pukes out, I get to bitch. That's all I get (along with the stroke). When I get the lucky one that goes in, I just do that stupid grin that ya gotta do.
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

lol, Yose . . . I just can't putt. There is no basket to blame for my lack of skill, period. I "focus" on a link, then throw my putter at a tree. haha

I figured that it wouldn't be long until you coined in, since I mentioned this to you yesterday. Nice chattin' with ya yesterday, btw.

-Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
            Too much variation in "regulation" baskets. Everyone without questionable baskets on their private/home course agree?
            I don't know why the PDGA allows such basket variation. Perhaps they are in cahoots with the target manufacturers (ha ha), but I think it's just growing pains. They could have a very specific guideline for baskets, and there would still be several manufacturers.
            PDGA just needs to tighten up the specs.
            Whatever is decided.. I can miss or make a putt on any basket you can point me at.
            beside... unless we all use the same spec putter no basket is going to treat each of our putts the same.
            Solution; One type of basket and one type of putter.
            And we all need to learn to use the same style putt.
            i kind of enjoy having to adjust my putting to the baskets i am playing...just like weather/course conditions.I do think all A tier and Tour events should be on tight specs as far as teepads and basket design.Some leeway given for B tier events and let the C tiers and such continue to give us some variety in taste and design.I hope we can commercialize the professional side of the sport without losing the variety and personality of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye Disc Golf.com View Post
              The fundamental flaw with the current basket design is the metal ring at the base of the chains. The metal ring tends to "trampoline" the disc out of the basket. This is even more evident with baskets like we have at Pier Park that have added loose chains that aren't attached at all at the bottom.

The simple solution to this is to use a ring of chain at the base to secure the bottom of the basket chains. There are a couple of baskets with this setup at Dabney (hole 8 and 17?) and it is painfully obvious that those baskets catch significantly better. I have 2 baskets of my own, one with a ring at the base and one with a chain that I attached with S hooks myself. The basket with the chain at the base catches so much better that I don't even want to practice on it because it catches better than any basket on the courses, and I don't want to get used to it.

Using a ring to secure the chains at the base probably saves $2 in the overall cost of the basket. Probably $36 for an 18 hole course. Not really worth it when players in the open division are losing $100 or more in lost payouts for putts that spit out or spit through.

A chain ring placed at the base of the vertical chains in any basket significantly makes the basket catch way better than the standard design. It creates more of an irregular motion when impacted by a disc vs the springboard effect you get with a ring at the base. This is the easiest solution and the manufacturers should just suck it up and make this the industry standard.
              I don't like this concept, 'Make them catch better!'
              It seems that Putting is the easiest part of our game yet people want to Nerf it. (Make it all soft and squishy, for those out of the loop.)
              I personally think that the speed of your putt should be more of a consideration during a money round than the design of a basket you are all sharing.

If the design of the basket is the major problem in your game... it is probably your brain affecting the putt well before the chains get a chance.
              When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Standardize everything, baskets, basket heights, fairway patterns, teepads - remove the trees from the fairways and all creativity from the game so that 'bad luck' is eliminated and someday we can get it on TV...(rolls eyes)

OR, why not embrace the creativity, regional difference, and grassroots character that makes this game so unique. As one of my friends recently said, "everyone is trying to make this game like ball golf; but they play disc golf precisely because it isn't ball golf!"
                'Weekend 4 Women':
                Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
                  Standardize everything, baskets, basket heights, fairway patterns, teepads - remove the trees from the fairways and all creativity from the game so that 'bad luck' is eliminated and someday we can get it on TV...(rolls eyes)

OR, why not embrace the creativity, regional difference, and grassroots character that makes this game so unique. As one of my friends recently said, "everyone is trying to make this game like ball golf; but they play disc golf precisely because it isn't ball golf!"
                  AND shorten the fairways, make only ONE driver, approach, and putter disc. Everyone uses the same discs in the same weight.

I completely agree cefire........this game would be boring if EVERY putt stuck. Some baskets don't catch the same as others, some fareways have fewer/more trees than others, some courses have water hazards. Learn to play with what the course gives you.

Bob

Comment

That point of view is just another reason this sport should probably revert to 100% amateur level competition with no pro level. Non-standardization of throwing and field components is just one of several elements that do not support having pro level competition.

Comment

This ^^^^

Except substitute "fun level competition" for "amateur level competition"
                      'Weekend 4 Women':
                      Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                      Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

I got to this thread with some interest, as I've seen this discussion before on a few other forums. However, as I read through it, I get the same feeling I got from the other threads on this topic.

For those who work in a group work setting, or a family unit, or whatever, there has often been the mantra of "don't bring any problems without some kind of solutions" or the accompanying idea that "expounding on the problem... a solution it does not make"

I was still getting that vibe from this discussion as I sat here thinking there's a lot of negativity of current design, but not much solid options. I did see the part about a netting bottomed basket, but it wasn't until we got to the part about the chain gather vs a metal ring gather that I got something that sounded uplifting. I did see a hinting by something John Houck alluded to on another forum thread in regards to target design, but that the sport/culture wasn't ready for it yet. Maybe its our dedication to the basket/chains sound or image thats reflected in Chucks Kennedy's survey results.

It'll be tough to get a great design that could live in many of our parks if we go with alternate materials. I do like continually tweaking and improving the catch-ability of the metal and chains concept. I like the current baskets and think the appeal of the metal and chains has become integral to the experience.

But a better mousetrap does have the world knocking at your door... or welding shop.

Comment

I think what we have is pretty much good enough to have fun. If I was so serious that it wasn't, I'd quit (or go postal).

Comment

Comment

I was under the impersonation that there was a minimum height that the bottom of basket had to be above the playing surface.

I am all for different baskets and their idiosyncrasies. I just want courses to not change basket types halfway through. Quite annoying when you start on mach fives and end with mach twos.
                              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                              Cleveland Brown

Comment

And some holes are longer or have more obstacles than others. All the baskets need to be the same? You want all Mach Vs with no trees within fifty feet, or all the trees at some regulation distance from the pin? Venues without the big bucks to buy 18 baskets at once should just forget about trying.

I have to admit I'm a bit amazed by some of the things on this thread. That includes DF.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X