Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i second the valkyrie, roc, sidewinder, stingray, aviar advice and would like to add stay away from the fancy plastic... you're gonna want those super pretty shiney discs... but no, no... not yet... you need to pick up that super boring, dull yellowish or off white dx stingray and huck the eff out of it and then in a year or so or less depending on your learning curve, then you can start getting some pretty discs...

p.s. you should probably try an eclipse... discraft... best disc ever...
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

just my 2 cents.. when I first started some local pro's took me under their wings and gave me 2 discs. an Aviar and a Roc. I was told to use these 2 discs for atleast 2 months BEFORE touching any drivers..This was the best advice anybody ever gave me...
      Hukin since 1992
      DGOD #115

Comment

For a putter i would find out first if you like soft or stiff plastic. Kc pro aviars are pretty stiff and jk pro aviars are soft. See which one feels good in the hand........ There are only a bazillion putters out there.

For a midrange i would consider a shark, stratus, or even a light cobra.

For a driver i would go with first the leopard in a 160 weight and go from there. If you have a hard time turning it over after a couple months then try a stingray. If you seem to flip it over more often than not after a couple months then step up to the valkyrie..........you can never go wrong with a valk.

Also, very important, ask someone to watch how you throw. If you release your disc with hyzer (45 degree tilt downward) or with anhyzer (45 degree tilt upward) that will make alot of difference for anyone to help you pick out the right disc.

Just my 2 cents.
        WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Innova:
          DX beadless avair
          DX Shark
          DX Leopard

Discraft: Whatever the base plastic is? Pro-d?
          Magnet
          Stratus
          Xl

With new people especially they need to learn how discs are going to change as they age and beat in. It's my belief to avoid overly stable discs, go with something more neutral, so that a newbie can learn as many aspects of disc flight as possible.

Comment

I would agree Bruce, the Leopard has been one of the best starter discs I have used. I made many a kicktastic birdies with that one. It makes a excellent midrange.

Yes I dig my Leopard!

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
            Innova:
            DX beadless avair
            DX Shark
            DX Leopard

Discraft: Whatever the base plastic is? Pro-d?
            Magnet
            Stratus
            Xl

With new people especially they need to learn how discs are going to change as they age and beat in. It's my belief to avoid overly stable discs, go with something more neutral, so that a newbie can learn as many aspects of disc flight as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
              just my 2 cents.. when I first started some local pro's took me under their wings and gave me 2 discs. an Aviar and a Roc. I was told to use these 2 discs for atleast 2 months BEFORE touching any drivers..This was the best advice anybody ever gave me...
              I completely agree with this logic.

When I introduce a beginner I usually throw together a beginner bag with a roc, a mako, and a buzz. Then a dart, a KC aviar, a JK aviar... and a Condor just in case. I try to mix up the plastic types to let them get a feeling for the differences. Let them throw what they want.
              When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

one roc

Go to Disc Golf Depot and buy one 180 gram dx roc.
                Then, ask the owner, 'Jerry Miller', if he has some time for some pointers.
                The tips you get from Miller will be priceless compared to what you payed for the disc.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                - Anonymous

Comment

Picking up a few 'seasoned' discs should help as well. Brand new discs tend to need a little breaking in, especially if they have very much 'flashing' on the edge. Not only are used discs cheaper, but they usually feel a little better in your hand.
                  Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by toby puttzinski View Post
                    picking up a few 'seasoned' discs should help as well. Brand new discs tend to need a little breaking in, especially if they have very much 'flashing' on the edge. Not only are used discs cheaper, but they usually feel a little better in your hand.
                    great advice............i even like to pick up a seasoned disc here and there every once and a while.
                    WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Whippet. Viper. Flick. Force. Drone. Predators.
                      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                      Cleveland Brown

Comment

Everyone is soo different

Take me:
                        Former baseball and discus thrower... Threw Teebirds and Eagles right out of the gate and was throwing wraiths within a few months (side arm and tomahawk somehow). Putt and approach with candy Rhynos. Had such a weird training

Taught My wife (no sport history) with:
                        Leopard ultralight
                        Kite Ultralight
                        Tbird ultralight
                        putts with warlocks

Taught my Best Friend (also athlete) with:
                        Leopard
                        Eagle
                        Buzz
                        Wizards

It's hard to say with each person. I havn't found a disc I can't flip sidearm so I throw a lot more backhand these days (big d still comes sidearm). Was I taught wrong? Who knows...I'm a pretty competitive advanced player in my neck of the woods... could I have been amazing and awesome... we'll never know.

When I am introducing someone to the sport I always recommend Leopard, shark/mako, Eagle, and whatever feels good for putting. Leopard is your go to back hand, shark/mako can make most approach shots, eagle is your diversity disc (tomahawk, thumber, sidearm, roller even). Depending on power and history you'll have to adjust weight but most people should start lighter and go up.
                        FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

Originally posted by Rakoz View Post
                          Take me:
                          Former baseball and discus thrower... Threw Teebirds and Eagles right out of the gate and was throwing wraiths within a few months (side arm and tomahawk somehow). Putt and approach with candy Rhynos. Had such a weird training

Taught My wife (no sport history) with:
                          Leopard ultralight
                          Kite Ultralight
                          Tbird ultralight
                          putts with warlocks

Taught my Best Friend (also athlete) with:
                          Leopard
                          Eagle
                          Buzz
                          Wizards

It's hard to say with each person. I havn't found a disc I can't flip sidearm so I throw a lot more backhand these days (big d still comes sidearm). Was I taught wrong? Who knows...I'm a pretty competitive advanced player in my neck of the woods... could I have been amazing and awesome... we'll never know.

When I am introducing someone to the sport I always recommend Leopard, shark/mako, Eagle, and whatever feels good for putting. Leopard is your go to back hand, shark/mako can make most approach shots, eagle is your diversity disc (tomahawk, thumber, sidearm, roller even). Depending on power and history you'll have to adjust weight but most people should start lighter and go up.
                          If you are flipping every disc while throwing you have off axis torque or bad form. I can throw under stable mid range discs like Meteors and such (yes forehand I am talking about) and get good flights out of them and not flip them over. People with sports backgrounds have more POWER right away and can throw it far; more power than form. Just because you can throw it far right away doesn't mean you are using proper technique. Sorry not trying to single you out, just trying to prove a point.
                          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                            If you are flipping every disc while throwing you have off axis torque or bad form. I can throw under stable mid range discs like Meteors and such (yes forehand I am talking about) and get good flights out of them and not flip them over. People with sports backgrounds have more POWER right away and can throw it far; more power than form. Just because you can throw it far right away doesn't mean you are using proper technique. Sorry not trying to single you out, just trying to prove a point.
                            No problem. I don't flip every disc over when throwing max sidearm; I throw very far with my xcal and tee rex and seldom flip them anymore. I have a ton of power and know that's more of my game than others and luckily my form is improving with age as my power wanes.

I was merely suggesting that you may want to disc up a little for SOME people. I moved from leapard to TL to eagle to tbird to wraith and at every juncture the extra distance from my power made we want to learn to control that disc more. I threw sidearm and tomahawk and soon I learned how to backhand all these discs as well. Can most people jump straight to wraith and get it right? Probably not. But many new to our game can handle fairway drivers off the tee and more and probably get more pleasure doing so (and therefore get them to stick around in our sport).

My wife would get discouraged and probably stop disc golfing if I gave her full weight discs or anything overstable. Likewise my friend would have done the same if given the same discs my wife uses. Sometimes it is ok to disc up a newbie. sometimes.

Comment

Try a CFR Max for a disc that's difficult to flip. I am a LH player that uses a forehand mostly for recovery shots. My RH side-arm(only gets used when injured) is much more powerful/natural than my left, as I am semi-ambidextrous>> I throw a football and any other heavy stuff left-handed, but skip rocks/throw a baseball with my right arm. Anything below 10 o'clock with my LHFH feels awkward, so I often use an over-stable disc such as the Champ Max/ChampXCal/CE Viper.

While Silly's correct that form>wing down can prevent flip, perhaps you could benefit from throwing something more stable. What is your most stable disc? <<after post I see you throw an Xcal/Trex>> The CFR Max is slower, but more over-stable...

You make a good point that it really depends on the individual...
                              Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; March 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM.
                              Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post

While Silly's correct that form>wing down can prevent flip, perhaps you could benefit from throwing something more stable. What is your most stable disc? <<after post I see you throw an Xcal/Trex>> The CFR Max is slower, but more over-stable...

You make a good point that it really depends on the individual...
                                I carried one in my bag for awhile. I didn't get the same distance with it and took it out when I could start backhanding around that distance with decent control. I've also had luck with a brand new DiscMania's PD but keep going back to the trex and xcal when it got broke in a little.

Individuals are different in this just as in any other sport. I'm pretty sure there is a Church of Roc somewhere in disc golf land but I just don't like them. Could be form, could be mental... doesn't matter. They don't work for me.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X