Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Kite

Anyone throwing these?

I was out at Terrace Creek last night throwing in the field and threw my 172 SK and Kelly's 165 SK. I love the feel of this disc in my hand and throwing with a hyzer and some height this disc does a huge S turn, I was getting it past 300 feet for sure. (I've measured distances in that field where I throw from to the basket for five) Thank you Andrew for suggesting a Kite, I like it more than my Pro D Buzzz as it goes farther and doesn't hyzer so bad at the end of the flight which is what I want. I like my 172 a little better as it holds the anhyzer better instead of flipping all the way over. I have 1 Innova disc in my bag!
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Tried it once, did not like. Maybe I'll have to give it another try, as I was not getting it to S at all. I thought of it as super overstable, is that your assessment?

Comment

A kite? Are you f'in kidding me? You use one Innova disc and it's a KITE!!!! Why?

Disc of the Month
      "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
      -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Originally posted by Cornwall, Esq. View Post
        Tried it once, did not like. Maybe I'll have to give it another try, as I was not getting it to S at all. I thought of it as super overstable, is that your assessment?
        Overstable or Understable?

For me it's understable (Goes right for a RHBH) so I have to throw it with Hyzer and give it some air. For my step dad it's dead straight with a hyzer at the end. (He doesn't have much power)

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by JR Stengele View Post
          Disc of the Month
          Probably! Me @ me.

I'm also throwing a Vision that I'm getting really far right now too. Tried my Star Leopard today and I like that disc as well, kind of what I've been looking for.

By the way John I miss your Kermit Avatar.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Kermit!

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Whose Kermit? That's my senior picture.
              Last edited by JR Stengele; January 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM.
              "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
              -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Could be a drag piggy there.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                  Anyone throwing these?

I was out at Terrace Creek last night throwing in the field and threw my 172 SK and Kelly's 165 SK. I love the feel of this disc in my hand and throwing with a hyzer and some height this disc does a huge S turn, I was getting it past 300 feet for sure. (I've measured distances in that field where I throw from to the basket for five) Thank you Andrew for suggesting a Kite, I like it more than my Pro D Buzzz as it goes farther and doesn't hyzer so bad at the end of the flight which is what I want. I like my 172 a little better as it holds the anhyzer better instead of flipping all the way over. I have 1 Innova disc in my bag!
                  so over a year later, are you still using that kite?

I have 2
                  a star 175 and a dx 175 (wanted 150-165)

havent been throwing them long

I kinda think of the dx as only a little understable, and the star as stable

I think the should both start getting more understable as they wear and I start throwing harder (beginner arm)

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                    so over a year later, are you still using that kite?

I have 2
                    a star 175 and a dx 175 (wanted 150-165)

havent been throwing them long

I kinda think of the dx as only a little understable, and the star as stable

I think the should both start getting more understable as they wear and I start throwing harder (beginner arm)
                    got a chance to throw them both again today
                    the star acted a little understable, but for the most part, it just went straight

Comment

I got mine as an understable midrange in dx at 169. Now (1 yr. later) it will hold any line I put it on (anhyzer, straight or hyzer). It has become my long range approach disc

Comment

175g Star Kite was the 1st disc I learned how to hyzer flip. Also the 1st mid I could throw over 300. For a while I would snap a deep hyzer and it would flip flat, gently turn over, then fade left finish. For a season I was parking Pier 15 in the short. But as I became proficient with the snap it would flip from a vertical hyzer to a roller. Took me a long time to find a replacement for that shot. I now use a more stable disc, but the kite was a great learning tool. I really like that disc and use it to teach anyone of my friends beginning in disc golf.
                        PDGA# 49616
                        Stumptown# 353
                        OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I ordered a lighter DX Kite yesterday (dont remember what exact weight was)
                          the 175 is just to heavy (for now) i'm sure it will be good later
                          then I can give the lighter one to my wife or another beginner

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                            I ordered a lighter DX Kite yesterday (dont remember what exact weight was)
                            the 175 is just to heavy (for now) i'm sure it will be good later
                            then I can give the lighter one to my wife or another beginner
                            i received my lighter dx kite (142) on wed
                            i only threw it once or twice
                            im going to give it some more time today

so at this point, i'm going to carry both the 142 dx and the 175 star
                            and leave the 175 dx at home
                            (with my other heavier stuff, i have pulled out of my bag, until my arm gets better)

Comment

today the lighter kite flew much more understable than the heavier one
                              i like it

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X