Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocs

Can someone provide a Roc tutorial?

There seems to be a gajillion different types - Rancho, San Marino, Ontario, Super Rocs, Star plastic, etc...

Is there a huge difference, or is it just a marketing scheme?

Can someone in the know put them in order, by stability?

I am sure folks will disagree, but I am a former roc hater, they were to understable for me. I have now been throwing rocs for a year, and love them, but not as much as I love the Star CRO. In order of stability, it goes...
    DX/Pro
    Rancho
    San Marino
    Super Roc
    Ontario
    Obviously the Star is most overstable as some of these molds are available in different plastics.
    I couldnt throw a KC Pro to save my life, then I found a champion San Marino and fell in love, then I found a star Ontario and it is even more overstable, you can really crank on it. Then I found the Star Cro and I now have some really pretty rocs hanging on my wall. Also speaking of marketing... did you ever notice the creative minds at INNOVA have sold us 3 completely different models but used the same three letters rearranged? ROC... CRO... ORC... Very Interesting
    Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Thanks, that's pretty helpful.

I've got a bunch of Rocs, but have never thrown them much. Being a forehand only thrower, I could never do much with mid-ranges. Over the last few months, I've been working on the backhand a lot, focusing on real flippy drivers in low weights (sidewinders, valks, etc..). The distance is starting to come around, but my accuracy is not ready for prime time yet. I grabbed a few Rocs and a Wasp (same thing, right ), and immediately noticed a big change in accuracy - all five discs were consistently landing within about 20' of each other. When I throw five drivers out there I'm about 50 - 100' farther, but all over the field. Great during practice, but not so great when you have to hit a fairway. I still don't have much snap in an backhand toss, so being too flippy is not an issue for me. In fact, I find the KC Pro and Z Wasp to be pretty stable. I have to really crank them and throw with a little anhyzer to get them to go straight. For now, all my backhand drivers are coming out of the bag and are being replaced with a selection of Rocs - A 150 DX, 177 DX, 176 KC Pro, and Z Wasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Can someone provide a Roc tutorial?

There seems to be a gajillion different types - Rancho, San Marino, Ontario, Super Rocs, Star plastic, etc...

Is there a huge difference, or is it just a marketing scheme?

Can someone in the know put them in order, by stability?
        It's more straightforward than it seems. Aside from the fund raiser premium plastic discs, it's doesn't have anything to do with marketing either.

Basically the mold has changed twice through three different production facilities. So you have 3 similar but distinct molds all going by the Roc name. The molds are distinguished by the location of the die origin, which you can read on the underside of the disc. In order of increasing stability it goes Ontario, San Marino, Rancho. Most people, when they are talking about Rocs, are probably talking about Ranchos. Until recent re-releases of the Ontario and Sanny molds, Ranchos were the only ones is standard production for the last little while. KC Pros are also Ranchos.

So that's it. 3 molds. Ranchos have been the standard for the most recent past. Going into any more depth comparing the various plastics is the same as it is with the differences between any other innova disc from one plastic to the next.

Comment

Thanks for asking this, Scott. The different molds and their different attributes are what has kept me from throwing a Roc. I have a few, but I don't buy in to the hype. I have a few Buzzz in my bag, and they work just fine for me.
          TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by zippyboy View Post
            Thanks for asking this, Scott. The different molds and their different attributes are what has kept me from throwing a Roc. I have a few, but I don't buy in to the hype. I have a few Buzzz in my bag, and they work just fine for me.
            Buzz is another one I wouldn't mind trying again now that I have a little bit of a backhand in my bag of tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by zippyboy View Post
              Buzzzes are great, so I'm not necessarily suggesting switching, but there's no need for hesitating when it comes to trying out a Roc. Most vendors are only carrying DX Rancho and KC Pro, which are the same mold, and some of the best Rocs available besides. It makes the process of purchasing as simple as can be.

I actually think it was kind of a bad idea to re-release the older Ontario and San Marino molds. Number one, it only leads to more confusion of the kind displayed in this thread. Number two, the Rancho mold is superior anyway.

Comment

the Buzzz has the same issue as the ROC, different plastics make it fly different. I have been throwing the Buzzz since day one and I have the Z plastic, ESP FLX, and Crystal Buzzz in my bag and all are different, the Z is like the Ontario for ROC, ESP FLX like the Sanny of ROC, and Crystal like a KC pro ROC. I have not thrown the D or X of discraft...

Comment

I always had trouble getting onto the Roc. Anyway, I can throw an FLX Buzzz longer and straighter. Throw it hard, it go straight. They seem to tend towards understable so you have to try to find the more stable ones. I find I need to leave the Buzzz in the bag on anything but full range shots, as they fade hard and fast on a softer pull.

Rocs? For me, there have been no two alike.
                  The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

roc tutorial- buy one and throw it flat about 10 feet higher than you would your driver and knock strokes off your round.

your welcome.
                    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I'm assuming you'll be offering a money back guarantee on that? If so, I have a few Rocs I would like my money back on...
                      TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Olson View Post
                        I actually think it was kind of a bad idea to re-release the older Ontario and San Marino molds. Number one, it only leads to more confusion of the kind displayed in this thread.
                        I agree with this. I don't agree that the Rancho mold is always the best one, because I have some 12 year old Ontarios that are the shit, although this may be due to the super-stiff DX plastic that they used to use more than the mold itself.
                        Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X