X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valkyrie Molds

I definitely love the Valkyrie and have begun collecting this mold in many plastics and weights.
    At a recent tourney I got a bunch of them to practice with and didn't realize until later that I grabbed two distinctively different discs marked 'VL.'

The VL that I am used to has almost a 90' angle on the rim.
    The other ones have a much more obtuse angle in the plastic... slips out of the grip easier.
    Anyone have a clue why these discs are marked the same yet are obviously different? (are there different molds for the valk?)
    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
    I definitely love the Valkyrie and have begun collecting this mold in many plastics and weights.
    At a recent tourney I got a bunch of them to practice with and didn't realize until later that I grabbed two distinctively different discs marked 'VL.'

The other ones have a much more obtuse angle in the plastic... slips out of the grip easier.
    Anyone have a clue why these discs are marked the same yet are obviously different? (are there different molds for the valk?)
    I found this on the PDGA forum:

"I traded for a Viking that is marked VG on the bottom, from the way I understand Valkyries were labeled VK for a while, then changed to VL when the Viking came out, and the Viking became VK. The disc is yellow with a stock stamp, is this more than likely just a mis-label, or maybe just a very early Viking, while the Valkyries were still labeled as VK?"

According to the Innova Website, the abbreviation for Valkyrie is currently VL and Vikings are VG. They likely changed from VK to VL to avoid confusion with the Viking.
    http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/disc-comparison.html

There is plenty of evidence that suggests that Valks have been labeled both VK and VL. As far as the difference in the mold, it is possible that the person who removed the disc from the mold mislabeled it. I have an x-out labeled RR for Roadrunner but it flies like a Starfire. I also have a Champ Coyote that got stamped Star Coyote. Mistakes happen.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDriver View Post
      I found this on the PDGA forum:

"I traded for a Viking that is marked VG on the bottom, from the way I understand Valkyries were labeled VK for a while, then changed to VL when the Viking came out, and the Viking became VK. The disc is yellow with a stock stamp, is this more than likely just a mis-label, or maybe just a very early Viking, while the Valkyries were still labeled as VK?"

According to the Innova Website, the abbreviation for Valkyrie is currently VL and Vikings are VG. They likely changed from VK to VL to avoid confusion with the Viking.
      http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/disc-comparison.html

There is plenty of evidence that suggests that Valks have been labeled both VK and VL. As far as the difference in the mold, it is possible that the person who removed the disc from the mold mislabeled it. I have an x-out labeled RR for Roadrunner but it flies like a Starfire. I also have a Champ Coyote that got stamped Star Coyote. Mistakes happen.
      Me too, but then the stamp and marking don’t affect the actual flight characteristics of said disc just the perceived notion of it. That is why it’s important to learn your discs and how they fly... Especially with Innova discs.
      Throw What You Know.
      "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
      PDGA# 45989

Comment

Just chalk it up to INNconsistency.
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Well, when you put out as much plastic as Innova mistakes are bound to happen.
          Throw What You Know.
          PDGA# 45989

Comment

chalk one up for INNOVA

Doesn't the Valk still hold the worlds distance record?
            I wonder if he threw a VK or a VL?
            Well, whatever it is/was, it's flown further than any other disc out there.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            - Anonymous

Comment

Jebus, I make one pun and people think I'm an Innova hater. FWIW, the Valk and the Orc probably have regularly been in my bag more than any other disc out there. Innova makes great discs, as do most other companies. But c'mon, Dave D. doesn't shit gold, or at least if he does, he doesn't do it consistently.
              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Jebus, I make one pun and people think I'm an Innova hater. FWIW, the Valk and the Orc probably have regularly been in my bag more than any other disc out there. Innova makes great discs, as do most other companies. But c'mon, Dave D. doesn't shit gold, or at least if he does, he doesn't do it consistently.
                I guess your pun went
                I agree there are inconsistencies in their manufacturing process. I was merely pointing out that they put out more plastic then Discrap (look I can Pun too) does.
                Last edited by Uhlman; October 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM.
                Throw What You Know.
                PDGA# 45989

Comment

But c'mon, Dave D. doesn't shit gold, or at least if he does, he doesn't do it consistently.
                  That struck me as very funny.

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post

Can you post a picture of the disc's profile. It was likely mislabeled and the forum may be able to help identify what the disc really is.

Comment

Who know's it may be that DD has changed the Valk rim, just like the Tbird rim got changed http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4758
                      "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

They definitely fly more stable than Valks... but that might be partly because I have trouble gripping the angled rim.
                        I will take a couple pics tomorrow to show differences.

Comment

I think its kinda neat that innova does not always get it right. It brings character to every disc they make. I have two pink first run cros with gold stamps and they both have a star with a 'sp'. I thought that was suppose to be for spider and i know these are not spiders. Maybe innova should of went to three letters like the beast (bst). Viking could be vkg and the valkyrie could be vlk .......just throwing it out there.
                          WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Originally posted by SPIDER-DAN View Post
                            I think its kinda neat that innova does not always get it right. It brings character to every disc they make. I have two pink first run cros with gold stamps and they both have a star with a 'sp'. I thought that was suppose to be for spider and i know these are not spiders. Maybe innova should of went to three letters like the beast (bst). Viking could be vkg and the valkyrie could be vlk .......just throwing it out there.
                            so any urge to sell those cro's. i promise i will give them a loving home

Comment

Well I looked at some vikings at the store today.
                              Definitely not a viking.
                              I think they are just different mold Valkyris... like the new mold t-birds.
                              I took some pics but the batteries are dead, will post soon.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X