X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
    One last note- some of you are confusing impolite actions with illegal actions. Placing litterers and music-listeners in the same category is pretty asinine.
    And also everyone seems to forget that smoking pot is illegal, let alone in a public park. I don't want to be a jerk, but I am pretty tired of smelling pot EVERY DANG TIME I play Pier Park.
    Disc golf ruined my life.

Comment

If only it was illegal to hijack your own thread with such a boring topic.
      The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

All the "no way" votes sound like positive votes for pay-to-play private courses. Do you people walk over to the pre-teens having a water balloon fight in the park and tell them to knock it off, there's people golfing here? Anytime someone pulls a golf disc out of their bag all sounds within 100 yards must cease just to suit you?

Follow the rules of the park, wherever that may be. If you're at Lucky Mud, leave the MP3 player in the car. If you are at Lakewood, let the sound fly. It's a public park first, and a disc golf course distant second. Obviously you should make sure it's okay with everybody in your group, but other groups' opinions should matter not. Remember, you think the guys with the pit bulls and the jam box are such assholes, what do you think their assessment is of your stuffed shirt? Who wins the opinion battle?

Next time you hear someone yell exuberantly in the park after getting an ace or a killer birdie, run your offended little ass over there and tell 'em to pipe down or you'll write a frisbee golf forum post about how much you disapprove of their noise.

The way some of you are arguing against it makes you sound like the hater/golfers from Falling Down. At least those d-bags were at a private country club with legal precedent.

One last note- some of you are confusing impolite actions with illegal actions. Placing litterers and music-listeners in the same category is pretty asinine.
        It's also pretty asinine to pretend that anyone said any of the things you're arguing against. No one called anyone an asshole (ok, I called some people douchebags, but I was referring to people acting like douchebags, not because of music) or said music or pit bulls were illegal. Last I looked, it was still legal to express an opinion.

"Amplified music goes right on the list with loose pitbulls, litterers, casual groups of eight, and shirtless aggro douchebags as things I dislike encountering on the course." Hmm, things I dislike.....yeah, how dare anyone dislike something.

"But that's just one man's opinion, and I've never asked anyone to turn their tunes off."

By the way, next time you see someone smoking pot in the park, run your offended little ass over there and tell 'em to stop because it is ILLEGAL or you'll write a frisbee golf forum post about how much you disapprove of their behavior.

I've never asked anyone to turn off their tunes, " but I'm glad you were able to get all worked up over this topic.
        Last edited by Matt B.; September 21st, 2010, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I also am annoyed by most of the people that think I want to hear their music while I am enjoying a round of disc golf. I love music, loud music, and most types of music. However, when I'm playing disc golf, I would rather enjoy the outdoor sounds than the tinny second hand sounds coming from someone's golf bag.

The music may sound good to the person or group carrying the music, but to the others on the course it is usually just annoying background noise. What might be your casual round, might be another group's competitive money round....or another casual round where they don't want to listen to country music in fear of starting a fight within their group.

Have you ever gone to the beach with the family and had a group set up next to you and crank up their boombox so everyone in the area has to hear it? At least on the beach you can pack up and move. On a DG course this group just follows you around.

And Toby, don't be dissin on my Lionel Richie and Barry Manilow tapes. If I could find a portable 8-track player for my disc golf bag you could be enjoying this with me during my next round at NorthPark. I get my ass kicked at Lake Stevens for playing this, but I think I could get away with it there....
          Last edited by LakeStevensBA; September 21st, 2010, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I can't see those little HMDX speaker sets being loud enough to bug the guys putting 250 feet ahead of the group on the tee. The volume will only be close to right for the guy carrying it and setting their own best levels. For the rest of the group, it will depend on proximity and be much like an AM station fading in and out at night. Not optimum listening for any but the speaker bearer. I don't see it enhancing the group's pleasure in any democratic fashion. If everyone had their own set of speakers, well, we can see that working out. Dueling speakers. Under that eventuality, earphones would be the only solution. With only one set of speakers emitting, there's only one good seat, with the others getting musical crumbs. Cool, if that's what they like.

I guide a lot of people around this course. I want people to enjoy their golfing experience. I don't particularly like the speakers. I don't like their tobacco smoke. I rarely, if ever, say anything about either. I do watch what people do with their cigarette butts and other litter and will say something if I see them foul the grounds.

I listen to books on audio with my MP3 player. About the only time use it outside is during wood splitting or course mowing, to cover the machinery noises. If I'm out there just walking around, I want to hear the silence, or the birds chirping and salamanders croaking, or leaves shaking, or tree branches crashing down.

I probably talk too much, but everyone is different when it comes to that. Some talk about the game. Some talk about fantasy football (how they do go on). Some people yell about good shots. Some yell about bad shots. Some folks are serious, and some joke around. There are only a small few that I don't want to be golfing with here, but there is that few. There are probably some that don't want to be golfing with me. I hope that is only a few as well. There's no telling about personalities, likes, and dislikes.
            Last edited by Ol' Bob; September 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I'm not arguing for mp3 music, I'm highlighting the crap in the nay arguments.
              The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

How is "I find it annoying as hell" a crappy argument? No one's trying to win first place at the debate tournament here.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Very true.

Comment

I'm not arguing for mp3 music, I'm highlighting the crap in the nay arguments.
                    I'm not arguing for mp3 music, I'm highlighting the straw men I constructed and placed in the nay arguments.

Fixed it for you.

Comment

Ugh, more weak sauce. I wish I had some weak fish n' weak chips to go along with your weak argument style.

I suppose I imagine all the WA arguments coming from Lakewood Park, and all the OR arguments coming from Pier. I forget that you guys down there actually have state parks (re: nice places) with courses in them. Either way, take it easy homeskillet.

Comment

I played a casual round at Corbin Park(short tight city course) with a friend last week. He has speakers attached to his bag, playing a LOW volume mix of music.LS- Freebird, some old buttroc, bits of top 40 maybe(a variety of music) Super cool and enjoyable for this place. Its a city course, in town and the music was fine, if not good to listen to.
                        If it was durring a tourney or weekly league play maybe im not so inclined to hear music. When i go out to Farragut St park, even playing casual w/buddies i might not want to hear music but be able to hear the sounds of the woods all around me. Listening to the Silence of the forest is probabbly more pleasing to me there.
                        However if i go out to a CITY course, ie Downriver, Lakewood, SeeTac where shared use is the norm i would enjoy some tunes to help smooth out the sounds of the city. To each his/her own. Try and be corteous to the other park users. Everything in modreration except for putts. The less the better,imo.. TW

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                          Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't; sometimes other group members bring theirs, it just depends on the vibe. Asking the group is a must; sometimes it's a rock mix, sometimes it's light classical/celtic. Music has the ability to enhance or distract any situation, even nature. Asking disc golfers a question about any topic that ultimately comes down to subjective personal preferences and you'll get as many answers as people you ask; make up your own mind, and accommodate the group you are enjoying the course with.
                          I was with j-man this weekend at the bob hornings tournament and he was playing music what he started with i did not like so asked if he had different and he did and it was at a low volume so it was great and think it had a positive impact on my game....I WON ...hehe so as long as the group your agrees on it and or you play it at such a low volume that no one is affected then i think it is alll right
                          PDGA # 31451
                          2 Mini Aces
                          75 Aces
                          PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                          DISC GOLF OR DIE
                          BOB CABAL
                          DISCVANGO
                          JEFF ELLIOT
                          G-MAN
                          JORDAN LEWIS
                          JEFF HAGERTY
                          JAMES GARCELON
                          SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

And why is that someone always has to bash on the pot smokers some of us do it for medical reasons and yes I know it is illegal but still I dont go bashing on smokers or peeps that drink just leave it alone
                            PDGA # 31451
                            2 Mini Aces
                            75 Aces
                            PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                            DISC GOLF OR DIE
                            BOB CABAL
                            DISCVANGO
                            JEFF ELLIOT
                            G-MAN
                            JORDAN LEWIS
                            JEFF HAGERTY
                            JAMES GARCELON
                            SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by chris7graham View Post
                              And why is that someone always has to bash on the pot smokers some of us do it for medical reasons and yes I know it is illegal but still I dont go bashing on smokers or peeps that drink just leave it alone
                              I wasn't so much bashing as simply sharing my opinion about doing it elsewhere. I know I cannot stop anyone from using, and I do know some people use it for medical reasons, but that is still limited to the privacy of their own home or a business that has licensing to allow that, not in a public park. A good majority here has had a super strong opinion against the portable speakers and I understand the concerns. I just wanted to bring up another annoyance in the parks that is most certainly illegal, but it seems like it is an accepted subject in the disc golf community.
                              Disc golf ruined my life.

Comment

Sure you can stop them. All you have to do is be the vigilante gestapo and believe they should be severely punished for such terrible behavior because it ruins the country and world for all the good people who don't do it. When they got Congress to outlaw it, DuPont and Randolph Hersh only wanted to save the world from all that killer weed, not simply force hemp out of competition with their tree based paper monopolies. Look how much good came out of what they did as a public service. We now incarcerate more people than any country on earth and have that great new private prison industry to save our economy. Looks like a win/win to me. Throw away the key. Get some, we don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee... on those little speakers.

Sorry, though I don't smoke it myself (for health reasons), but I truly believe all the natural herbs of the pharmacopoeia should be unrestricted public property, as it would be in a truly democratic and free society. (Just one person's opinion which shouldn't seriously threaten the vested interests of the status quo.)
                                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X