X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick and Easy...

Sounds like you found a quick and easy method.

I might suggest incorporating a small resistor to reduce the amperage.

Remember your Ohm's law equation: V=IR. Change the resistance (with a constant voltage) and you will be an inverse change in amperage.

Put in a 5-10 ohm resistor and you will get a VERY SLIGHT reduction in light output and a noticeably longer battery life.

Also, check the rated output for your LED's... that 20 pack was not among the brightest output I saw from the bunch at the shack.
    If you buy a two pack of the 5mm UV LED's they have an amazingly higher light output... thus the slightly higher price.

=)

ENJOY!!!
    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Basket Lights

For those of you who decide to use basket lights, rather than glow sticks...

Grab some of those DOT lights and set them on top of the baskets pointing down. The LED ones are more expensive but create much better light.

If you have any issues with the light in your eyes just build a little paper cone, cut off the top, and line it with aluminum foil.
      Fashion it over the DOT light to direct the rays down on the chains.

Use rechargeable batteries and pick 'em up when finishing the round.
      When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
        Made my led lights last night. Worked perfect. I picked up the led asortment at the shack and I aleady had the batteries. I found that the red leds worked the best and that they were the best for any of my champ discs. Even the mildly darker colors and semi-opaque elite-z plastic as well. I just soldered 2 leds facing away from each other and taped the batt inbetween the middle-like a sandwich. Then taped to the disc. I used clear packing tape I had from when I moved. Lasted all night!! Quick easy and simple. Thanks for the idea!!
        Could you post a pic of this little gizmo?
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I soldered LEDs in the same fashion. They work great for a while, but eventually the legs will break from all the taping/untaping. Ol' Bob soldered directly to the battery and incorporated a switch to alleviate this problem but I'm lazy and just switched to a single LED.

When you go shopping for the LEDs be prepared to spend some time and be overwhelmed. I would recommend getting the brightest red you can, something over 700mcd, and a narrow angle of visibility. I bought many types to test a couple years ago and these are my preference.

If you have champion glow plastic the UV LEDs work well. It gives the disc a slight glow and although not as bright while flying, you'll be amazed how it stands out when you get within 30 feet of it.

Comment

glow discs and a portable battery powered blacklight. the only way to go.
            ________
            Ttr50
            Last edited by Jonesy; March 17th, 2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

If you want cheap good quality batteries and leds go to Digikey.com. They sell in bulk and are fast to ship. I forget the numbers but it was cheap. They have a red led that works wonderfully.

Comment

Originally posted by The Brodys View Post
                If you want cheap good quality batteries and leds go to Digikey.com. They sell in bulk and are fast to ship. I forget the numbers but it was cheap. They have a red led that works wonderfully.
                16 cents for leds if you buy 100. And 24 cent batteries if you buy 50. I found this to be cheaper better quality than dollar store deal and thats if you can find a dollar store with them.

Comment

You will be able to try this out first hand if you attend the glow dubs at the Flying L this weekend.

Comment

http://www.nightdiscgolf.com/

they have a couple of good ideas here too.

Comment

Originally posted by Altophish View Post
                      http://www.nightdiscgolf.com/

they have a couple of good ideas here too.
                      thats the way i do it.And Ive had some of my leds for like 5 years now with only one battery replace ment
                      PDGA # 31451
                      2 Mini Aces
                      74 Aces
                      PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                      DISC GOLF OR DIE
                      BOB CABAL
                      DISCVANGO
                      JEFF ELLIOT
                      G-MAN
                      JORDAN LEWIS
                      JEFF HAGERTY
                      JAMES GARCELON
                      SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X