X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
    We were talking after doubles the other night about how great it would be to have a scorecard app that would update everyones scores as we were playing the round. With the amount of smartphones nowadays probably wouldn't be that hard to get one in every group. Developing the app would be hard, but live scoring for weekly doubles would be fantastic!
    I've been thinking about this sort of thing for tournaments as well, Dan. Maybe a PDA with a scorecard built in goes out with each group. Then you just plug it in to the laptop at the end of the round and whammo - all the scores are updated and the re-ordering of each division is but a couple clicks away.

Of course that opens up at least 2 issues - "tampering" with scores might be even more of a concern. And you would have to cover for the possible and disastrous computer crash though I have used these devices for collecting a ton of field data over the past few years and have never had a glitch (despite pretty wet conditions and drops etc). I suppose you would want to also send out a standard paper scorecard with each group that is compared to the PDA at the end of the round.....Lots of things to work through initially but wow the possibilities are pretty huge. Real time scores for everyone starts to become very feasible.

Shoot if you set up one to read a pre-recorded message with sponsors and rules, then set a (2 minute) alarm on each PDA you could just get rid of the TD altogether!

Comment

Originally posted by DMajor View Post
      We were talking after doubles the other night about how great it would be to have a scorecard app that would update everyones scores as we were playing the round. With the amount of smartphones nowadays probably wouldn't be that hard to get one in every group. Developing the app would be hard, but live scoring for weekly doubles would be fantastic!
      In theory, a pretty good idea. I think it will take a while before everyone is on board. What if one card failed to send? You'd have to do backup scorecards as well.

At our weekly doubles, part of the fun is NOT knowing what everyone else is doing. Is that stacked team really going to get every birdie? Who are the suprises?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
      Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X