X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tazzmann View Post
    Hey dye gods, I have a question. I ordered some of the free sample vinyl from 3M that was suggested on another forum, so I am not using cheap stuff. Anyway, My first dye job went ok, but I had a few problems related to me and not the vinyl.

After that, the next TWO dye jobs I had a problem with the vinyl leaving the glue behind. I tried different ways of pulling the vinyl off and made sure the heat in the pan for the dye was not too hot. Has any of you had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!

Mike
    Thanks for the great question. I have had the same problem from time to time, and it was frustrating to say the least. Thanks for the all the expert advice. Going to look into the silicon based stuff.

Comment

The McMaster-Carr web catalog is massive. Here's a link to the page with the tape:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3413/=8ysoc2
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Do they sell anything over 6 inches wide? If not, it might not be very useful as a masking stencil for disc dyeing. Plus, that stuff is prohibitively expensive!
        Last edited by ChUcK; September 23rd, 2010, 03:50 AM. Reason: engrish is hard
        The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
          Do they sell anything over 6 inches wide? If not, it might not be very useful as a masking stencil for disc dyeing. Plus, that stuff is prohibitively expensive!
          Most tapes and films with silicone adhesive are going to be expensive, but I had used the 1/2" tape and just either laid down simple designs freehand using the tape edge and stretching in curves where needed, or building up a sheet with strips and then using an NT knife (WAY superior to x-acto: sharper, blades last longer) to cut out a design and then transfer it to the disc. The silicone adhesive is pressure activated and immensely forgiving. You can position and reposition it numerous times and then just burnish it into place.

Here's a possible alternative: floor film. It's the protective film used in home construction to protect carpet and tile floor from damage during finish work or remodeling. The smallest roll is $53, but it's 24" wide and 200' long. That's enough to potentially mask off 400 discs. You can also pick it up at Grainger industrial supply which has branch locations all over the pacific northwest. Here's a link:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PLA...YH7?Pid=search
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X