X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flick vs Nuke

I'd say I'm an intermediate level player. I am baseball player and the forehand throw comes very natural to me. I bought a flick esp 150 class a year ago as my first driver. I have had great success with my flick and I feel that I'm starting to max out its range just over 300'. I just bought a nuke (166g) and I'm having trouble adjusting to it. I know practice will help me get a feel for it.

I bought the nuke looking to extend my drives, and keep them straighter. Currently my flick bites hard right at the end of its flight; the nuke likes to sail high and wide left and bite extremely hard right. My range is about even with the two, the flick staying lower and more true.

I wanted to know your opinions on the nuke as a fh driver, If I'm out of my league throwing the nuke as of now, if I should invest in a heavier flick as well, what discs you guys have gotten the best results with on your forehand drives.

Jordan

If you like discraft, try out an XL

If you want to try innova, try an Eagle.
    Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Mark Ellis, a Discraft sponsored FH dominant pro, likes the Nuke for distance.

You may not have enough power on your FH to get it to do what it is supposed to do, however. So use whatever works the best for you.
      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
        Mark Ellis, a Discraft sponsored FH dominant pro, likes the Nuke for distance.

You may not have enough power on your FH to get it to do what it is supposed to do, however. So use whatever works the best for you.
        Do you think a heavier flick would be a good transition, or would I run into the same problem because of the weight difference I am used to?

Comment

I'd say try something in the predator/crush/avenger family first. The Nuke might be great for total distance shots when you get more consistent power and release control. I love the Nuke for distance sidearms.

but my go to discs are the predator and the pulse.
          Team DISCRAFT
          NW Sign Up
          Gorilla Boy
          Paragon Disc Golf
          Odwalla

Comment

Like Dion says, maybe try a Crush as a transition disc. I'd go 170ish since you're used to a 150 Flick. A 175 Flick will probably be almost unusably overstable for you. A Surge may be a better fit if you're looking for more distance, but like the Nuke, its rim is fairly wide.

Another solid sidearm performer is the Z Talon, but its out of print. It was (still is?) Geoff Bennett's go to disc for accurate and long drives. If you don't know who Geoff is, he is probably the best sidearm dominant player in the world.

If you want to branch out of Discraft, there are other good options as well.

Also, like Dion, my go to sidearm disc is a Predator. However, I rarely can get that past 300' on a FH. Its more of a consistency disc than a distance disc.
            We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I use a 150 flick LFH and I prefer it over anything else. I tried going to a heavier flick thinking that it would help a bit. I found out that its harder to get the distance vs accuracy due to the weight so I stay with the lighter flick. I have thrown the nuke RBH and liked the flight pattern and distance as well but havn't had a chance to throw it LFH. My guess is that you got used to that very quick turning flick and need some adjustment time. I do so love that fast turn of the flick but know that its very over-stable too.
              Hukin since 1992
              DGOD #115

Comment

I throw RHFH and my primary driver is a 174 Flick, but with a tailwind I throw a 150 Flick. I tried the Nuke for a couple of weeks, but I also had a hard time keeping it under control. It would hardly ever come back, so I decided to stay with the Flick.
                Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

Put the Nuke away and pick up a Star Boss.

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
                    Put the Nuke away and pick up a Star Boss.
                    The Champ Boss was my go-to driver, until I met the Flick!
                    Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

Originally posted by Kris C View Post
                      The Champ Boss was my go-to driver, until I met the Flick!

I carry both most rounds, at the same weight.
                      The Star Boss goes farther for me, on a straighter line.
                      The Elite Z Flick has less glide, but I trust it to not go straight up when I throw into a breeze, and it always comes back.

The Flick is easier to throw FH, but I wouldnt want to live in a world without the Innova Boss, at least not the disc golf world, its just too good.
                      I used to throw Destroyers FH, but they seem so slow now, the Boss is a screamer.
                      I think the Boss is the lowest stability, fast driver a FH player can work with.

Grooves and Katanas will turn nice for backhanders, but they are both too unpredictable for regular FH use in my opinion.
                      That doesnt mean you CANT throw a Groove or a Katana well, but when it comes down to parking that last drive, when I really need it, the Boss will get the job done better for me.

Plus, unlike the Nuke, there is a Boss for every skill level and throwing style, from wimpy to 'roid ragers.

Comment

For my FH i use a some what beat Z Force. It will hold a straight line and finish to the right as it starts to slow down.

Comment

If you like the Flick I would try a heavier one. But I also recommend the esp pulse for forehand shots!

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                            I'd say try something in the predator/crush/avenger family first. The Nuke might be great for total distance shots when you get more consistent power and release control. I love the Nuke for distance sidearms.

but my go to discs are the predator and the pulse.
                            do this.
                            Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by thehuberkid View Post
                              If you like the Flick I would try a heavier one. But I also recommend the esp pulse for forehand shots!
                              Go Sounders.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X