X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable baskets...

Last edited by loocid; May 14th, 2011, 11:36 PM.

SkillShot

I have only had it a couple weeks but I love it.
    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
      Which one?

Comment

jshrack's subject line reads "SkillShot", but I think the Mach Lite is hiqher quality, and more like a real basket. (I own the Skill Shot). For QUIET putting, the Traveler.
        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I just picked up a Chainstar portable. Expensive ($350), but totally collapsible, and its the same dimensions as most of the baskets our courses have.
          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I like how the SkillShot makes you putt better, to make it. On the other hand the Disc Cather Travel or what ever it is called, will take any shot you throw at it, supporting sloppy putting is a bad thing, I think. So are run on sentences, sorry.

Comment

Any target that you judge improves your putts is good. That old 24 inch, nubless, Mike Moss basket was my favorite practice basket, until I remade it to 26 inches and gave it nubs. Now it catches too good and is the new hole 15.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I definitely recommend the InStep basket with added chains! Here's a video I did a while ago to show the inner chains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmdJHmzkDKo

Comment

Originally posted by Brody Cannon View Post
                  I definitely recommend the InStep basket with added chains! Here's a video I did a while ago to show the inner chains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmdJHmzkDKo
                  Agreed. This is the basket I use, and I haven't even got around to adding the extra chains yet. There are a lot of spit outs without the extra chains, but during practice it doesn't matter if the putt sticks. You can tell if it was on line or not. I think I bought mine for $79.00, so it's definitely one of the better deals out there.

Brody - what did you use for the small inner ring that the chains attach to at the bottom?

Comment

Skillshot

I got the Skillshot, like the subject says. =)

I like it because:

It was ready to go out of the box, no add ons or major set-up.
                    I can set-up or tear-down in less than 3 minutes with no hurry.
                    (I could probably go quicker but there is no point)
                    It is just smaller than the course baskets, so it improves my putting.
                    It fits perfectly into my trunk and takes up very little room.
                    Catches like a champ with minimal glances and no blow-throughs... yet.
                    Catches something like 10-15 discs no prob for group practice.

I don't like it because:

The base seems a little bit flimsy, it's portable but I take care with it.
                    The bag could be of higher strength material, may become an issue.

All in all, my confidence in putting lately has grown.
                    I owe most of that to the Skillshot.
                    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

I guess I interpreted "portable" as "collapsible". As far as portables, I like the Mach III!

OK: LIGHTWEIGHT PORTABLES: I prefer the Discatcher Sport. I don't like the M-14.
                      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        Agreed. This is the basket I use, and I haven't even got around to adding the extra chains yet. There are a lot of spit outs without the extra chains, but during practice it doesn't matter if the putt sticks. You can tell if it was on line or not. I think I bought mine for $79.00, so it's definitely one of the better deals out there.

Brody - what did you use for the small inner ring that the chains attach to at the bottom?
                        I forgot the name for it but it's 3" and 5" rings. Got them at Michaels and might have extras if you need them. Oh and they were in the leather area i think..

Comment

I picked up the DB-5 Basket by Lightning Discs, and so far I really like it. When Shopping for baskets, I was torn between the DB-5 and the Innova Discatcher. I found a DB-5 used, so that's why I went with that. I realize these are the most expensive portables and probably more for backyard practice and less for bringing places - I'd say DB-5 pushes the limit of being "portable" even though they are collapsable... but if you can bag one used, then it's worthy of consideration.
                          By the way, I think GottagoGottaThrow has the DiscCatcher Sport on sale for $154 Dollars plus $20 for shipping

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgol...ket-p-360.html

What I like about the DB-5:
                          -Fully galvanized: it should hold up in the weather well
                          -Quite easy to set up, sturdy and very well constructed- seems like a good deal for $200 new.
                          -Adding 9 interior chains was pretty easy using Stainless steel Chain, Quick links and clamps on top (for a total of 27 chains which was about 50 bucks at home depot)
                          -The basket feels like you're putting at real thing, like what you'd find at the local course

What I don't like so much:
                          - basket height seems lower than permanent baskets to me
                          -basket catch basin shape is a bit different then permanent course baskets
                          - chains feel just a tad stiff, but maybe they'll work in after more use
                          - the galvanized coating chews up putter plastic - I actually took a metal file and smoothed out some sharp areas on the basket

Overall, I'd say the DB-5's are pretty solid and great for practice, I'd recommend them
                          Last edited by Fridgecat; July 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaemes View Post
                            Which one?

Thumbs up SkillShot

PDGA # 31451
                            2 Mini Aces
                            75 Aces
                            PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                            DISC GOLF OR DIE
                            BOB CABAL
                            DISCVANGO
                            JEFF ELLIOT
                            G-MAN
                            JORDAN LEWIS
                            JEFF HAGERTY
                            JAMES GARCELON
                            SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                              jshrack's subject line reads "SkillShot", but I think the Mach Lite is hiqher quality, and more like a real basket. (I own the Skill Shot). For QUIET putting, the Traveler.
                              lmao it would help if i read more before opening my mouth my bad
                              PDGA # 31451
                              2 Mini Aces
                              75 Aces
                              PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                              DISC GOLF OR DIE
                              BOB CABAL
                              DISCVANGO
                              JEFF ELLIOT
                              G-MAN
                              JORDAN LEWIS
                              JEFF HAGERTY
                              JAMES GARCELON
                              SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X