X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind issues

what would be some good discs for windy situations?

Overstable, heavier discs for headwinds, understable, lighter ones for tailwinds.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

You probably want heavyish ones for crosswinds too.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Driving: Starfire, Firebird, XXX, Flick,

Putting: Rhyno, Drone, Challanger,

Etc, etc

Here's a link to the universal flight chart. You probably don't want to throw anything with a negative HSS
        Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

A crosswind that opposes the spin direction of the leading edge will be a flippier crosswind than the one that doesn't. In other words, the one that hits from the right side for the RHBH, or the LHFH, will try to tip you right and act more like a headwind, where the one from the left side will act more like a tailwind. At least that's the way it seems to me.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
            A crosswind that opposes the spin direction of the leading edge will be a flippier crosswind than the one that doesn't. In other words, the one that hits from the right side for the RHBH, or the LHFH, will try to tip you right and act more like a headwind, where the one from the left side will act more like a tailwind. At least that's the way it seems to me.
            In my experience the way a crosswind effects your disc flight depends alot on the angle your disc is flying at. Throw a disc with hyzer (rhbh) in a right to left crosswind and the wind will exagerate that hyzer and make it harder for it to flip flat making the disc seem more overstable. Throw the same disc with anhyzer into the same wind and the anhyzer line will hold longer making the disc seem more understable. I think crosswinds are trickier to figure out and navigate succesfully because the potential surface area of your disc (hyzer/anhyzer) is much greater than it is into a headwind (nose up/nose down).
            Read this ^

Comment

I love the star destroyer with a headwind thrown rhbh. Champ sidewinder/roadrunner tailwind. Millineum polaris ls/orion ls sidewind thrown rhbh.
              Hukin since 1992
              DGOD #115

Comment

I was speaking of discs thrown flat. Let a crosswind get underneath, or on top of, your disc and all bets are off. They either get blown into the ground or into the next county.

Comment

Crosswinds are the trickiest. DMajor pretty much summed it up, but when you have a combination cross/tailwind or cross/headwind then things get real tricky.

In general, overstable discs want to drop and will be the least affected by the wind, but they can still be pushed around quite a bit if you expose the flight plate to the wind.
                  We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I was speaking of discs thrown flat.
                    Consistently flat shots are pretty rare for me.
                    Read this ^

Comment

I was speaking of discs thrown flat. Let a crosswind get underneath, or on top of, your disc and all bets are off. They either get blown into the ground or into the next county.
                      Flat and low is the best advice for windy throwing conditions.

If I'm feeling feisty I try to keep the wind on top of my disc. If the wind gets underneath the disc, its very difficult to predict.

If I have a left to right wind, I'll throw something on a slight hyzer angle and give it some extra height because I know the wind will push it down.

Right to left wind, throw a slight anhyzer (usually a roc or beat eagle) and give it height.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
                        I love the star destroyer with a headwind thrown rhbh
                        Are you suggesting that the Star Destroyer is not a good headwind disc for lefties throwing backhand? Why, direction of the earth's rotation or something?
                        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

There's always the Southern Hemisphere for the lefties.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                            Are you suggesting that the Star Destroyer is not a good headwind disc for lefties throwing backhand? Why, direction of the earth's rotation or something?
                            Yup its all about the rotation....and the moon

Actualy I play with some golfers who throw left backhand. I don't think the wind cares what direction the spin is!!
                            Hukin since 1992
                            DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
                              I don't think the wind cares what direction the spin is!!
                              The crosswind certainly does. It will separate the righties from the lefties.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X