Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moedawg
    started a topic Soft/gummy putter vs. standard plastic putter

Soft/gummy putter vs. standard plastic putter

Last year i made the switch from star aviars to the R-pro, not really sure if that was a good decision. Seems that the R-pro is alot less consistant in the wind. I am half tempted to switch back. Anyone have much success on a similar switch ?

• General Scales
    replied
    It seems that putting style has a lot to do with putter stiffnesss preference. Which makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Push putters tend to like stiffer plastics. With the way that the thumb does 70 percent of the gripping, a soft top plate will cause a lot more wobbly nose down style shots. A harder plastic will stop that. Since there is very little spin in a push putt, the stiffness also helps push the chains apart so the disc drops in.

On the opposite spectrum of putting, spin putters need the tacky, soft plastics to slow down the spin ratio on their putts. The soft flight plate doesn't effect the putt so much as spin putts are thrown with more grip on the rim then the top. The plastic is what makes those single link hit and in throws possible.

Now that I've thoroughly explained the theory behind this I can talk bout my preferences. Pro-D is my putting plastic. Focus's and Ringer's are my putters. Gripline Spikes are my upshot and driving putters and I keep a Soft Challenger for the occasion of having to sidearm putt.

Leave a comment:

• captain jack
    replied
    I switched from the VP to the Ridge for the versatility, but I'm still very happy with Vibram X Link rubber for putting. Never been more happy with a disc.

I gotta say though, the R-Pro Aviar seems to me like the perfect putter for most people. I held one last week at Chainbangers and almost bought it just because it felt so at home in my hand, and the R-Pro formula seems like the perfect blend, not too soft or too hard.

If I wasnt so settled into the Ridge I think I would go with one of these for my next putter.

Oh, and those ultra floppy " Vomit" VP's from Vibram are sick !
    Chainbangers has some in interesting colors. I cant putt with them, but if you like floppy, you should try them.

Leave a comment:

• whalekillah
    replied
    I use both a Soft Banger GT, and a Pro-D. Soft Banger is the go-to, unless "stiff" chains exist(Lunchtime DGC) then I break out the Pro-D

Leave a comment:

• Ol' Bob
    replied
    If you click "Edit" on one of the posts, you'll have the option of deleting it.

Welcome aboard.

Leave a comment:

• another85
    replied
    oops i'm a message board newb i posted once and hadnt refreshed it. my bad

Leave a comment:

• another85
    replied
    i've found that r-pro is too floppy in temps over 45-55 degrees but works great when your dx/jk pro plastic is frozen solid in the winter months up here in the NW. but my weapon of choice is a 4 year old 165 champion aviar never thrown anything else like it

Leave a comment:

• another85
    replied
    i've found that the r-pro plastic is way too floppy in temps over like 45-55 degrees but it works great when all your dx/jk pro is frozen solid in those winter months here in the NW

Leave a comment:

• White Buffalo
    replied
    Organic wizards (prototype) are my favorite. There must be something in the plastic that makes them hit chains!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sagillarious
    replied
    I use a Banger gt for all my puts 35 ft and in. It has that thumb trac which makes my grip and release really consistent and I love that. I wanted to buy another one and saw a single at the store but couldn't bring myself to buy it due to it being HOT PINK! I mean, don't get me wrong, I can rock pink all day but hot pink is a whole other level. Not to mention it would make a little sense on a driver but on a putter? Anyways, for everything 250 ft and in I use my R pro Dart and it's my favorite disc. I got my first and only ace with it due to how straight it flies and I'm definitely getting another (non-hot pink) one.

Leave a comment:

• Ol' Bob
    replied
    The new R-Pro Aviars have a similar feel to the 4X JK Pro Aviar-Xs. I think that's what they may have been going for. I love my X for 40 to 150 feet. I'm thinking of trying to see how close the R-Pros come for shots like that.

Leave a comment:

• Uhlman
    replied
    I have found it easier to putt with a more flexible putter. I recently (this past weekend) picked up a 175 R-PRO Avair and after one round of play I fell in love with it. This is now my go to with-in 10m. I have putted with a DX and Champ plastic putters and I have found that a more flexible plastic works better with my putting style.

Leave a comment:

• Rakoz
    replied
    I utilize the aforementioned "chalky" warlocks for longer putts and windy days. I have a super super stupid soft wizard for anything under 20. The bounce out potential is so much less with the super super stupid soft wiz and it doesn't roll away at all. I'll be playing with the VP soon as well though so we'll see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• zombie41
    replied
    I think everyone needs to try an R-pro Dart. It's my most used disc, It flies super straight and it doesn't catch the wind like my Dx avairs. It also seems to grab the chains better.

Leave a comment:

• mrDROCK
    replied
    Originally posted by Burge View Post
    I will sat that it is a good disc for long putts, but not in a situation where you don't want it to roll because that disc will get up and leave!
    You got that part right. Too many times I will miss my long putt and it starts rolling down the hill. First time I used it at Leverich it got up and almost rolled from the basket at 1 down to the tee at 2. I guess it was ready to move on. It also doesnt help that I sharpied the X-Men logo on it, which make it definitely look like a wheel.

I am still feeling it out, but I think it is making me want to putt Aviars or XDs in the future.

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X