X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft/gummy putter vs. standard plastic putter

Last year i made the switch from star aviars to the R-pro, not really sure if that was a good decision. Seems that the R-pro is alot less consistant in the wind. I am half tempted to switch back. Anyone have much success on a similar switch ?

I switched to rubber.
    My VP has a great feel, better than the soft JK Aviar X I was using.
    Plastic putters are so Eighties.

Comment

I like my FLX and Soft X Challengers for putting but I also throw a Turbo.
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

A few months ago I switched from a Champ Aero to a Soft Magnet and I love it! I've had a lot less spin outs.
        Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

My main two putters are a 'soft' Warlock, which is as hard as DX but has a chalky feel, and a 'Super Stupid Soft' Warlock which is kind of like firm taffy and, when it was brand new, was downright sticky--almost like weak post-it adhesive. If you want floppy soft, try a Gumbputt or a Woodchuck. I still carry a Gumbputt for those times that I want an approach to hit the ground and STOP!
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

My philosophy about soft putters is that they'll help a sloppy putt stay in, but a firm putter will give you a more consistent release so you can have more good putts. There's a reason most top pros use medium (DX/D) to firm (KC Pro) putters.

The Vibram putters Captain Jack talks about seem interesting--they have the rubbery texture, yet are firm enough to keep a consistent shape. I wouldn't mind trying one out.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Funny, my floppiest putter, my Four Times JK A-X, is my goto approach and long putter, its main problem being it's too long, too often. If I'm afraid of going long, I use my Ringer. My short putters, yellow and orange Rattlers, are stiff like plastic, but their surfaces are grippy like rubber. When I turbo putt, I use a driver like my FLX Surge. I can't turbo putters anywhere as accurately as I can drivers. I never see anyone else turboing drivers, but I find the difference in results huge.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

...i love my r-pro aviar, but agree it is not the most consistent in the wind... because of that i carry a standard aviar with me, too... also, the heavier the better for the r-pro has been my experience... oh, and don't leave it in the front "putter" pocket of your bag in your car on a hot day... now i have an r-pro canoe...

peace,
                em
                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I like my gummy Supreme JuJu but I may try a Gumbputt soon. I rational that a really floppy disc actually flaps almost like the wings of a bird and straight too. We'll see.

Comment

In an effort to force more grab of the chains, would it be taboo to scrub a little violin rosin around the outer edge of the disc? I mean that would be 'gummy'. Discs are rubber, rubber is tree pitch and rosin is tree pitch..

Comment

Originally posted by Wyman Gast View Post
                      In an effort to force more grab of the chains, would it be taboo to scrub a little violin rosin around the outer edge of the disc? I mean that would be 'gummy'. Discs are rubber, rubber is tree pitch and rosin is tree pitch..
                      While that is not outright taboo, you may get some strange looks as you rosin up you disc. Heck you may just want to carry a violin case as your disc bag if you do that. I use Climbers chalk on my hands to help with grip and I guess you could say the same thing about the Rosin.
                      Throw What You Know.
                      "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                      PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun View Post
                        I like my gummy Supreme JuJu but I may try a Gumbputt soon. I rational that a really floppy disc actually flaps almost like the wings of a bird and straight too. We'll see.
                        lol the wounded duck putt ?

Comment

About 6 months ago I switched to the KC Pro Aviar and it's the best disc decision I ever made. They're great for 275 feet and closer approach shots and the firm putter means it's going to fly the same on every release. Granted, they can spit out off the chains a little too easy sometimes, but you just have to make sure you hit it right. I have 4 of them in my bag from really beat up to fairly new.
                          My favourite putter is my driver.

Comment

back when i putted with an aviar i tried out an r-pro for a round. same everything. i found that it was just rubbery enough to flop out somehow on every birdie putt for nine holes. was on the wsu practice course so they were all birdie putts. never touched r-pro again.
                            ________
                            Babe tubes
                            Last edited by Jonesy; March 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I have been enjoying my ION putter. It puts two different plastics together. The flight plate is like a Champion plastic and the edge has a very rubbery feel. I was practicing the other day and had a horrible putt, but it glanced the last chain on the outside and pulled itself in to the basket. Problem is I found this putter in the used section at NA and now I would like to find another.
                              Disc golf ruined my life.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X