Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomahawks and rollers......PLEASE HELP!!!!

So I'm wondering what people think the best discs are when throwing tomahawks and forehand rollers??? Also any hints on using these styles successfully?

Overstable discs, for both.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

search youtube
      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Well I use Firebirds for my thumbers. Would that be an equal for the tomahawk?

Comment

I would suggest trying out a XXX from Latitude 64 for your thumber/tommy needs. They have really impressed me in that respect, much longer than a firebird and more overstable.

As far as forehand rollers....whatever you a comfortable with. I use everything from a boss, to leopard to a putter. Just depends on how much you practice the shot.

Comment

It really depends what you need to roll for and whatever your comfortable with. Just like Bruce said, I use a Monarch, Firebird, Classic Roc.
            Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'm definitely gonna check out the XXX. Still not sure on the roller. I haven't done it enough to know yet. Does weight matter on the rollers?

Comment

For the record, I tried the XXX and didn't have nearly as much luck as I did with my Firebird, for tomahawks. The Firebird's rim is narrower, and I think that helps me.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I know very little about FH rollers, except as short-range emergency shots. I learned marginal control over these by simply rolling my ESP Zone to the next teepad whenever it was appropriate to do so.

I don't think weight matters any more than it usually does.
                  The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

I throw a lot of both of these. For forehand rollers I throw a 166 champ firebird. It's really forgiving as far as not shooting off in the wrong direction. I learned rollers by throwing mini rollers during walkouts to the next hole. This has really helped with forehand putter rollers as well. A nice shot to have when you need it!
                    For a tomahawk I thow a 167 champ orc. I used to play tennis and I think the serving and overhead motions I learned have helped with the motion and understanding the release heights and speeds.

Comment

For thumbers, the more stable you get the later the disc turns in the air. I'm guessing the same would apply for tomahawks. So if you are looking for distance I would recomend a Star or Champ Whippet X. A Firebird will work too, but I prefer the whippet because it is a slower disc and seems to turn later and more on a straight line. If you are looking at a shorter shot and need bigger right hook, start using more understable discs. Check out Brian Schweberger on youtube, he throws some of the best thumbers on tour.

Comment

Discraft 150 ESP and max weight Z Flicks work well for both, I prefer the Z plastic though

Comment

I don't think either shot requires a specific disc, you should experiment with all your discs to find out what works good for you. The two shots arent the same, and you may prefer using different discs for both of them.

I dont throw a Tomahawk alot (fingers on the rim), I prefer the Thumber (thumb on the rim).
                          I found that long range dirvers dont go any farther than fairway drivers do, my thumber is effective from 100-175', and so I use either a Gazelle , or an Eagle.
                          This is a great shot to add to your arsenal, when done correctly, the disc drops dead when it lands, no skips or rolls. A well placed thumber for me will usually end up nudging the pole. I have birdied #2 at Seatac from 50' behind the big laurel bush with this shot.

I throw a forehand roller now as my drive on #17 at Lakewood.
                          I have been practicing this shot, only on this hole, for a few months now.
                          I dont have the arm to throw up through the gap all the way to the pin, but the roller gets me in birdie range now. I throw left hand forehand, the disc hits on the side of the hill and tracks the contour , which funnels it up and around towards the pin.

I think the best disc for a forehand roller is a disc that turns over slightly more than your regular forehand driver. I try and get the disc to hit the ground at about a 60 angle, for me, LHFH, about like this \ , so it stands up and rolls foreward in a straight line.

I use a Star Monarch for this shot, even on flat ground, the Monarch is a cut roller for me, so it's more predictable.

Comment

Classic choices would be the Firebird, Eagle, Banshee and Whippet. On the Discraft side, Predator, Z Xtreme, Reaper and Pulse are very popular.
                            Team DISCRAFT
                            NW Sign Up
                            Gorilla Boy
                            Paragon Disc Golf
                            Odwalla

Comment

I throw an overhand shot whenever it is possible and a Z Predator covers all my overhand needs.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X