Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollers : Discraft X-Clones (no longer made, have to find them on Ebay or elsewhere)
    Tomahawks : Discraft XLs

I use maybe 172g, take anything I can get with the X-Clones, not too light, 'cuz the wind will be more of a factor. I have a Firebird I've never used for a roller, but now will try it out, and I have a Boss that's my driver, but have also heard its a good roller. Alot of good advice mentioned previously!
    ccovington4169@aol.com

Comment

Yeah thank you to everybody who has commented. I now have a great arsenal of options.

I took a stack out to my neighborhood park last night. My Orcs did the best for the tomahawk, Firebirds did good as well.

I will be trying the fh roller today. Wish me luck!!!!

Comment

This is a theory I have been going through my head lately.

Overstable = good for tomahawks

Understable = good for thumbers

What do you think?
        Disc golf ruined my life.

Comment

I think:

Overstable = good for thumbers

Unless you want to throw it short and get a different flight path.....
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrDROCK View Post
            This is a theory I have been going through my head lately.

Understable = good for thumbers

What do you think?
            I'd say it all depends on what you want your tomahawk or thumber to do.

You want it to turn early? Late? Very little or not at all?
            Are you throwing a high arcing shot, or a low line drive?

Comment

I was just thinking about tendencies to turn hard or fade hard. Depending on the direction of throw. If one is throwing the disc vertically and with a tomahawk grip, I would think the overstable discs tendency to fade hard would be beneficial to it staying on line. The same would be true from throwing an understable disc with a thumber grip as the tendency to turn would keep it in line.

Obviously this is all theory, but this is what makes sense in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                I'd say it all depends on what you want your tomahawk or thumber to do.

You want it to turn early? Late? Very little or not at all?
                Are you throwing a high arcing shot, or a low line drive?
                I think Scott asked the most important question. What do you want it to do? Both the tomahawk and thumber are shots that can do a number of different things depending on disc stability and speed and how you throw it.

In my experience throwing a lot of thumbers, I find the more overstable you throw the less turn and more distance you get.

I throw a glow whippet x for distance, around 300ft, it turns slightly and finishes a little right of the line it was thrown on. If I throw a beat up star TL about the same power it travels 200ft, makes a much more drastic turn and finishes way right of the line it was thrown on.

The best thing to do would be to go out in a field and throw everything you have in the bag and see what it does. Then go home and ice your shoulder down.

Comment

I use a firebird for all thumber/tomahawk shots . Changing the throw for based on what you want it to do . I have seen the whippet thrown with alot of success for distance. Surprised the epic wasnt mentioned more.

Comment

I guess what I want out of my thumbers/tomahawks right now is distance. Playing Pier I find myself in situations where I need to make the distance to the basket, but a backhand throw is destined to hit some trees. My only other option is to go nice and straight through the narrow path, I got for the thumber at that time. Usually I will use a Wolf for my thumbers. I just haven't had much distance.

Comment

Firebird.
                      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Firebird for the tomahawks and thumbers. Beasts and Xcals for rollers.

Comment

I have a roadrunner that is awesome for rollers. I'm a righty so... When I throw it back hand I put about 45 degrees of anhyzer on it and aim for a spot about 35 feet in front of the tee. It will hit the ground at a slight angle and then straighten out. This shot will always die to the right so try to throw it a little left of your target. When I throw a sidearm roller, I try to get about 5 or 10 degrees of hyzer and aim for a spot 60 or 70 feet in front of the tee pad. Again it will hit at an angle and then straighten out. however this shot will die to the left so make sure you aim it to the right of your target.

Comment

Tamahawk

It all depends on what you want it to do, how far you want to throw it, and your own style.

I started throwing Tomahawk at the Rockwood winter series 5 years ago when we had a ridiculous stretch of weeks where the wind was HORRIBLE! I found a low quick turn over tomahawk didn't give the wind time to effect the shot. After a couple months of this I found I liked it for most shots in the 150-250 range. I'd been throwing my 161 Eagle and my 171 Eagle for these shots depending on what I wanted it to do (one was also an E mold and one an L mold). After the windy days stopped I found I could throw a tomahawk well over 300ft and became quite good at it.

I throw an Eagle L mold for distance and it's a 167. It moves left to right about 10 degrees and then floats pretty much back to center. If it lands on edge it will dance about a little as I put a ton of spin on it. It will skip straight or straight left again if it lands on the top.

I throw an Eagle E mold 169 for "skinny" shots (between trees) or just to get over something. It glides slight right and turns back very quickly to vertical (top of disc back on the right side). It also ends up landing pretty much straight ahead on the course but is a little less predictable after it hits (much more speed on it).

I have had similar success with Destroyers; they are much like the E mold- more up and down. I've been trying an Avenger but don't have it figured out quite yet.

I've seen guys throw ultralights and get them to flip over and glide like a back hand shot at the end and I've seen guys throw the Aerobie Epic farther than me but with much decreased accuracy. I tried an epic and can get good d but horrible accuracy. I can throw my back hand and forehand farther so I havn't experimented more with it.

In my experience: find someone you know who can do it and do it well, take them out to the park and have them show you using their discs and then your discs, watch what your discs do in their hands and see if you can replicate it. Angle of release, point of release, and spin are all very important to change the flight path and get the result you want for each throw (just like all the other throw types).

Tomahawk takes a lot more finesse and practice to do well than most people realize. I'd be glad to show any of you how I do it.

Fore Hand Roller: The only time I've been able to do this well was when I wasn't trying to roll a forehand shot. Before I knew what I was doing I could throw a teebird TL about 200-220 finishing on the left of the fairway and it would then roll back towards center 60-80 ft. I don't think that's what you're looking for.
                            FORE! Youth 2011 http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournam...RE_Youth_2011/

Comment

If you want a tomahawk to go far, throw something overstable, like a firebird--I like an SL. If you want it to flip over quicker, for going over or around something, go much less stable--my disc of choice for that is a beat-up star sidewinder.

For a roller, it also depends if you want it to go far (monster) or turn sooner (roadrunner).
                              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

SL? Really? It seems most people find those things maddeningly flippy.

But yes, it's definitely good advice to reach for a very understable disc on a shorter throw where you need a quicker corkscrew. I've had to throw <100' tomahawks before, and my Stratus is the only disc that'll flip in such a short distance.
                                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X