Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Orc, a Wraith, and a Destroyer walk in to a bar...

Perhaps someone can explain this to meÖ According to the Innova flight charts, theses discs are very similar in their flight (turn and fade). Why then are they so dissimilar in the way they behave in the air? The Orc and Destroyer seem to me to be more stable then the Wraith, which seems more overstable. I have noticed this not only with the discs I throw but when others throw their molds of these discs. If anyone else has noticed this, please let me know I am not crazy.
    Throw What You Know.
    "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
    PDGA# 45989

Speed.

Comment

the Orc is speed 10, Wraith is speed 11, and Destroyer speed 12. If it were just the speed I would think the destroyer would end more overstable than the wraith.
      Throw What You Know.
      PDGA# 45989

Comment

Don't forget that there is two kinds of stable - low speed stability and high speed stability. These discs are meant to be thrown at high speed and will behave differently if they are thrown that way (as opposed to being thrown at lower speeds).

Comment

A destroyer does finish more overstable than a wraith, and a wraith more over stable than an orc. All things being equal, in my opinion anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
            A destroyer does finish more overstable than a wraith, and a wraith more over stable than an orc. All things being equal, in my opinion anyways.
            Things must behave differently on the east of the cascades and west of the blues. It is just weird that every time Iíve thrown these discs and seen them thrown, I get and see the same results.
            Have any east-siders noticed this phenomenon?
            Throw What You Know.
            PDGA# 45989

Comment

Discs tend to act more under stable at higher elevations.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Discs tend to act more under stable at higher elevations.
                Other way around, actually.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Other way around, actually.
                  I had a 50/50 chance of being right. It's been a while since I've played at a higher elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Discs tend to act more under stable (I read this as overstable) at higher elevations.
                    I found that out the hard way.
                    Perhaps it is the speed of the disc and it just an illusion of stability. i thk you were on to somthing when you said that about the high and low speed stability. I am guessing (and this is only a guess) that the orc and destroyer behave more stable at slower speeds while the wraith becomes more overstable at lower speed.
                    Throw What You Know.
                    PDGA# 45989

Comment

All the Innova flight ratings are in relation to the speed (rim width) of the disc and assume you get the disc up to cruising speed.

For people throwing 440'+, the Orc, Wraith, and Destroyer will all have some moderate turn and a small to medium fade. Wide rimmed discs will always fade more than equivalently rated discs with smaller rims.

And discs fly more understable at sea level, and more overstable at high elevations.
                      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                        Things must behave differently on the east of the cascades and west of the blues. It is just weird that every time Iíve thrown these discs and seen them thrown, I get and see the same results.
                        Have any east-siders noticed this phenomenon?
                        Rudy,
                        There may be other reasons why you are seeing this weird Pendleton phenomenon. Could be as little as plastic type and degree of wear on the discs. If you are comparing a beat dx Destroyer to a champ orc etc. it may be causing you to observe this flight. Tied into this reason could also be weight.
                        A second idea could be the people throwing them are not consistent in their release angles or perhaps purposely adjusting it for certain results. I tend to fh my Destroyers with decent anny depending on what or where I want to attempt to land.
                        If they are your discs behaving this way the next time we meet up perhaps I could video tape/observe your throws and perhaps see something. Then again after the way I shot this past weekend I may need some pointers from you
                        My experience is that my orcs act like orcs....they like to hide in the trees and only come out after I pass by them and the wraith and Destroyer seem to behave as Innova and Joe's Flight Chart indicate.

Take care and I am working on getting you some dates you asked about.
                        -Kris

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X