X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uphill and Downhill Discs

With the upcoming expansion to the Pendleton Course, I am looking for a good uphill and downhill disc. I have some ideas but I want to know what others think.
    Throw What You Know.
    "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
    PDGA# 45989

Uphill = something more understable. Downhill = something more overstable. That's pretty much it.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Overstable for downhill is predictable but understable goes forrrrrrrevvvverrrrrr
      Read this ^

Comment

Favorite uphill disc is my half beat 147 R-Pro Boss.

Favorite downhill discs are my stack of 3 FLX Buzzzes. I like to throw all three on the steep holes, just for fun. Each has its own favorite speed where it goes straight. But you have to be able to throw downhill (follow the lay of the land) for them to work right.
        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I remember teeing off on hole 18 at Crystal Mt. Throwing a firebird on a decently steep hyzer angle, the disc's airspeed still allowed it to turn through a really beautiful anhyzer. On a less extreme downhill hole, like an average golf hole, I'd say you should still default to more overstable than not, depending upon the other 18 variables in play.
          The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
            Uphill = something more understable. Downhill = something more overstable. That's pretty much it.
            Agreed. And aim the disc much further down than you think you need to. It will feel like you're going to throw it into the ground.

Comment

Damn...wish I would have read this before the Flippin Ze Disc tourney last year. At the ski jump hole I threw an understable light disc. It went straight for about 50 feet before it changed its mind and took a hard right, crossing a fairway, an open field and just missing the parking lot. I think the hole was about 350 feet and my second shot ended up about 450 feet from the basket.

Comment

Uphill, you want your most understable fast disc. Understable because you want something that won't stall out as much, and fast because you're fighting gravity and need a more ballistic flight.

I like to throw hyzerflips uphill since anhyzers stop penetrating uphill once they lose their turn. In the final 9 at the 2008 Zoo Town Open, this seemed to be the shot of choice on a long, steep uphill hole for everyone but Nate Sexton.

Downhill, there's a lot more preference involved, since its likely that your whole bag can reach a hole with enough elevation. I like to throw spike hyzers with a really overstable disc for short downhill holes, and sweeping hyzers with something stable to overstable for longer downhill holes, and laser beams with something straight stable like a Teebird if a reliable hyzer can't reach it.

Just remember that if you're throwing down, you will need more hyzer or a more stable disc than you would just throwing flat.
                We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I like throwing not too stable stuff on a steep downhill too. I like to get the touch just right, like I'm throwing a balsa wood glider. Just let it go and let gravity do the job.
                  The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X