X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New star plastic??

I just got a new replacement star boss. The star plastic seems different than the star boss I got last year. To me it seems more supple/softer than the other star plastic I have. Anybody else notice this or am I tripping(i wish)??
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
    I just got a new replacement star boss. The star plastic seems different than the star boss I got last year. To me it seems more supple/softer than the other star plastic I have. Anybody else notice this or am I tripping(i wish)??
    no your not tripping, thats just good ol innova and their inconsistent plastic. one run of plastic will be soft and another run of plastic will be a bit stiffer. this and the fact that they cant keep their disc flight patterns the same from one run to another is why i stopped throwing Innova discs. if they actually gave a crap and fixed the quality control of there plastic i would throw Innova again, but not when i cant depend on them to provide consitent plastic.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
      no your not tripping, thats just good ol innova and their inconsistent plastic. one run of plastic will be soft and another run of plastic will be a bit stiffer. this and the fact that they cant keep their disc flight patterns the same from one run to another is why i stopped throwing Innova discs. if they actually gave a crap and fixed the quality control of there plastic i would throw Innova again, but not when i cant depend on them to provide consitent plastic.
      I love it every time that they do things like that. Makes more and more people realize the value of consistency in plastic molding. Variations of even the slightest bit throw unseen deviations into the product.

Great example of this is my buddy has two Star Darts. Both the same weight (168). One of them is so stiff that it feels like it's Champion more then Star. The other one is so gummy that it's like leaving a Soft X Magnet in your car on a 100 degree day. Pretty much bends in his hand as he goes to throw.

On Innova's defense though, it's hard enough to control quality at one plant when you are massively producing a plastic product, let alone three big mold shops. Elevation, temperature, humidity, etc...will all effect the final outcome of a mold. Not to mention wear and tear of said mold will eventually start producing more and more blemished products. Also, it's getting harder and harder these days to procure quality plastic's from people for molding that are the same consistency every time you order. Pretty much a crap shoot.

Final point, throw Discraft . They seem to have the art of consistent molds down pretty good.
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

Now, now, I dislike Innova fanboyism as much as the next guy, but Discraft has got plenty of variation in their plastic blends as well. I'd say it's especially apparent in the ESP/FLX blends too.
        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I wouldn't know about that. Every ESP disc I have ever bought has flown just like it's counterpart. The only difference was weight of the disc I was throwing.

I will totally agree to the ESP/ESP FLX difference because there is a big one. Any FLX plastic disc is twice as over-stable as it's counterpart. Although the only FLX disc I even like is the FLX Buzzz. That thing can take some snap.
          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
          Cleveland Brown

Comment

I'm not talking about the flight, but the blend of the disc, which I think is what Mikk was getting at in his OP. There might be something to be said for consistency in the molds in Innova vs. Discraft, but as far as the actual blends of plastic, there are variations no matter what company you're dealing with. With Innova it's just that much more apparent since they make so many more discs.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
              I just recently lost a 150 Valkyrie and I have tried 3 others that were totally different, it makes me wonder why I ever went back to throwing Innova. I lost my Predator on Monday, went and threw a brand new one yesterday in the field a couple of times and it flies just like the one I lost.
              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

i like innova. i like how the discs are different and unique. when they are made differently, they throw differently. its up to YOU if your gonna let that get in your head. when you throw a disc with a predetermined idea of what you want the disc to fly like and what it SHOULD (in your mind) feel like you are not giving the disc a chance.

sorry i didnt jump on the bandwagon.

x

Comment

One thing I think is hilarious is hearing this very argument from someone who can't even throw the SAME DISC the SAME WAY twice in a row
                  "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by XandorF View Post
                    i like innova. i like how the discs are different and unique. when they are made differently, they throw differently. its up to YOU if your gonna let that get in your head. when you throw a disc with a predetermined idea of what you want the disc to fly like and what it SHOULD (in your mind) feel like you are not giving the disc a chance.

x
                    I love this argument of 'I like that the discs do different things and are unique'. That's why you use a different mold or use a different weight.
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I noticed that most of my Innova plastic is from rancho and that its the same across the board. If its not from rancho it has variations.
                      It seems to me that all of my discraft plastic (elite z) is the same no matter when I got it. Same with my DGA discs(discraft DGA that is)..I do miss my 150 z flick. I replaced it with an esp flick but its not as good to me as the z plastic. Thats 2x now that riverside got my most liked discs. rrrrrrrrrrr......
                      Hukin since 1992
                      DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                        I love this argument of 'I like that the discs do different things and are unique'. That's why you use a different mold or use a different weight.
                        yea. i just shouldnt talk. i really dont know jack. thanks everyone. we should throw some disc sometime and you can convince me off innova. until then, ill just keep throwing what the top pros use.(period)

x

Comment

Discraft discs only seem to vary when tested by hard-core Innova freaks. Many of them believe the consistency of Discraft molds is a myth. Being of the wimp persuasion, and throwing mostly light Innova DX drivers (or R-Pro, if that's all I can get), I've consumed much Innova, as this is what gives me my longest drives (haven't found any Discraft to compete in this department).

I always have to buy many of a given mold and weight to find the one that works for me. If the good ones were either at the way stable, or way flippy, end of the spectrum, then I could suspect I was using the rare Innova aberration. But I have to reject several discs on both sides of that one that works, and that tells me there is a huge inconsistency of final product, giving me my biased viewpoint.

Innova: No Two Alike (should be their slogan)

On edit: Just thinking about the two 167 Star Wraiths I have. One is about as overstable as a Firebird, and the other stable, but nowhere near that other. I use that more stable one to go around corners to the left. So, even my limited experience with the other plastics lines up with my greater experience of the DX/R-Pro. Am I Innova my head?
                          Last edited by Ol' Bob; May 19th, 2010, 08:50 AM.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Star plastic seems to cover a wide variety of looks and feels.

I have a new Destroyer that is thick and opaque, completely creamy, kind of "old school" Star, and a new Boss that is so much like Champion plastic I have a hard time finding it in between my Champion discs in the bag.

I also noticed that the new Dx discs seems to be clearer, like they added a little Champ plastic to them too.

Comment

Originally posted by XandorF View Post

x
                              not giving the disc a chance! i love it. they arent living beings with their own attitudes, they are peices of plastic that are supposed to fly a certain way. the companies that make the discs even tell you how each mold is supposed to fly. how is somebody ever supposed to be a good consistant player without consistant plastic?
                              Team HOSER:dancing:
                              Team OLY:cheerleader:
                              Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X