X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Roc

What, if any, is the difference between a Roc and Super Roc?

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    What, if any, is the difference between a Roc and Super Roc?
    One is normal and the other is super.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
      One is normal and the other is super.
      OK - I open up the forum, and search for new posts. I see there is a reply to my question, and I see it's from you. Here's the funny part - I opened the thead and actually expected to see a helpful response!

Comment

OK - I open up the forum, and search for new posts. I see there is a reply to my question, and I see it's from you. Here's the funny part - I opened the thead and actually expected to see a helpful response!
        Fat chance!!!!

Seriously, here is my take.....keep in mind that I am not a seasoned Roc thrower:
        1) The Super Rocs I have thrown have been more overstable as compared to Ontarios.
        2) Super Rocs are tackier making it easier to throw using a fan grip. They are also easy to grip when playing in inclement weather.
        3) They don't beat in as quickly as Rocs produced in DX plastic.

Comment

I am a Roc thrower - all shapes and sizes these days. The Super Roc is, as Jason said, all three of those things - more overstable than Ontarios (though not Star Ontarios which I think are the same in stability as the SR, and not as overstable as a flat Roc), tackier, more durable. I highly recommend the Super.
          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
            Fat chance!!!!

Seriously, here is my take.....keep in mind that I am not a seasoned Roc thrower:
            1) The Super Rocs I have thrown have been more overstable as compared to Ontarios.
            2) Super Rocs are tackier making it easier to throw using a fan grip. They are also easy to grip when playing in inclement weather.
            3) They don't beat in as quickly as Rocs produced in DX plastic.
            I would echo what Jason has said and add that Super Rocs (in my opinion) are more overstable to begin with than their KC Roc or DX Roc counterparts.

This makes them (in my opinion) no good.
            Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

More overstable... but like a good Roc will, it will do anything you tell it to. This makes them - and all Rocs - good (in my opinion).
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Super Roc is a Rancho Roc made of "Pro" plastic. It is more durable than a DX Roc, slightly more overstable, and takes quite a while to beat in compared with a DX or a KC roc. Being that they are made of Pro plastic, they are much more gummy than DX or KC plastics and as stated above, are preferred by the masses for cold weather and such.

One problem lies with availability. Super Rocs are usually run as fundraisers for major tournaments such as AM/Pro Worlds. The price of a Super Roc is much less than that of a Star or Champion Rancho Roc, but still comes in starting around $18. Thus buying multiple backups may be a problem, if you end up falling in love with the Super Roc.

Personally, I don't really care for them. I don't like Pro plastic and one of the reasons I throw Rocs is because I know that they are good for their entire life, from overstable to extremely flippy. The Super Roc seems to skip a few seasons as you are beating it up and do some weird things along the way. For instance, after a couple stiff tree smacks, it will cease to be able to handle high speeds, but still be very overstable at low speeds. This is something that IS NOT characteristic of a Roc, and I don't like it. Granted everyone throws differently, but I feel I have a pretty firm grasp on the Rancho mold, and what it is capable of. The Super Roc seems to fail in areas where the KC Roc excels at, and for the price and availability, you can't go wrong with a KC Roc.

Also, if anyone thinks they need a Roc that is more overstable than a brand new KC Roc, I would challenge that they have problems with form more than a need for a new midrange.

-Ryan

P.S. If anyone is looking for Super Rocs I have a couple that may be had for the right trade/price.
                Last edited by gwillim; October 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                  Personally, I don't really care for them. I don't like Pro plastic and one of the reasons I throw Rocs is because I know that they are good for their entire life, from overstable to extremely flippy. The Super Roc seems to skip a few seasons as you are beating it up and do some weird things along the way. For instance, after a couple stiff tree smacks, it will cease to be able to handle high speeds, but still be very overstable at low speeds. This is something that IS NOT characteristic of a Roc, and I don't like it. Granted everyone throws differently, but I feel I have a pretty firm grasp on the Rancho mold, and what it is capable of. The Super Roc seems to fail in areas where the KC Roc excels at, and for the price and availability, you can't go wrong with a KC Roc.
                  That sums up the Super Roc perfectly. Rancho Rocs are great but pro plastic ages terribly, so the Super Roc is the only one of the bunch I wouldn't throw.

Comment

Now if you can get 2004 super rocks, that were stiff and some other sort of plastic, not quite pro note quite dx, I will buy those from you. They seem to handle the age process much better, in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for all of the great answers (even you, Pinky).
                      My suspicions are confirmed - Super Roc = more overstable

My nephew is a fairly new player and asked if this would be good for him. My answer will be "no". He'll be much better off with a Rancho DX Roc.

Comment

He'll be much better off with a Rancho DX Roc.
                        This is so true.

I also wanted to give a quick shout out to the old school Super Rocs. Some of them looked like this:

Later versions had "Super Roc" in place of the standard "Choice of Champions" text.

The difference between the old ones and the new ones, is that the old ones were the old, old, old SE plastic. It didn't make the Rocs as overstable, and it aged really well.

I felt bad saying "they're no good," because some of them are good. They just haven't been made since around 1998-1999.
                        Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

I have a pretty white 2005 Pro-Words Allentown 180 Super Roc that Jason DiGennaro lost here on #13. I finally tracked him down in South Korea and he told me to keep it. It has a rainbow chrome stamp. Anyone interested in it?
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I am. Let's talk, Scott.
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Pssst. Hey, Sam. Ol' Bob's real name is actually Bob, not Scott. And, just to clarify further, Scott's real name, is Scott. Hope this clears up any confusion.
                              TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X