X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TBird rim???

The BSF CFR Glow T has a different rim on it. The angle of rim is not the usual 90 degree angle as before. Is this a brand new change? Across the entire TBird family of discs? What is the affect on flight? Grip/release issues?

If this will be a permanent and lasting change I must know.

The TBird may be the only disc which losing the ability to use I would find insurmountable. Even the Roc and Aviar can be replaced with other discs.

(The final sentence was only added to rile up members of the Roc cult, in the hopes they might answer my TBird question to show their superior disc knowledge.)

If you've ever uttered something like, "This is my original mold San Marino I picked up in '89 right after they started using a softer plastic. They only used it until Summer of '91, when the new batch of plastic was a lot harder. This one is extra grippy, but with a nice stiff rim. Yesterday a guy offered me $300 for it, but I just laughed," then you are probably a member of the ROc cult.

Oh, crap. What about the TBird?????
    Last edited by Wes Hansen; May 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM. Reason: removed a "y"

The teebird plus mold is lame. It is an experiment by dave at innova. They might be a permanent addition but I doubt they willreplace the regular teebird. There is also a roc plus.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Your old teebird doesn't have a 90 degree angle either. Take a small carpenter's square and measure it if you are skeptical.
      The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

90 used for point of reference. This mold definitely has a different angle to rim.

Comment

I agree with Wes for once. Held last years cfr tee bird up to this years, and it is different. But flew very similar, and honestly I think the new ones feel better in my hand.

Comment

Haven't held it long enough or thrown it yet.
            Was thinking the lower angle would mean less snap off the fingers- more potential for early release if fingers slip sooner.
            I've been talked into the longevity of the glow though.
            Anyone know if this is a NEW mold to be used from now on, or a temp thing.
            I REALLY have to get a stack of normal T's if so. I do not like buying discs

ps. (I do think that's the 14th time Bruce has agreed with me, but he's just embarrassed to admit it.)
            Last edited by Wes Hansen; May 5th, 2010, 09:08 AM. Reason: added the ps to be funny which may or may not be a 'reason," but that's why I was editing this post a minute ago

Comment

I have one of the new Japan open ones, it feels a little different but it flies very much the same for me. I don't think it will affect my game with how much I throw the disc (which is a lot)
              Throw What You Know.
              "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
              PDGA# 45989

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
                This mold definitely has a different angle to rim.
                That's what I hear, but I haven't seen one yet. Is it comparable to the Riot slant?
                The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

picked one of these up at BSF yesterday, it feels better to me than my other teebirds but I have not thrown it yet to know, will post again when more field time has been done.
                  The Frisbee is the mirror to the soul.

-M. Burns

Comment

Originally posted by grant View Post
                    picked one of these up at BSF yesterday, it feels better to me than my other teebirds but I have not thrown it yet to know, will post again when more field time has been done.
                    I thought it felt better in my hand too, until I kept releasing early because the rim angle is lame.
                    Last edited by REDFIVE; May 31st, 2010, 12:07 AM. Reason: didnt sound right.
                    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

The first time I saw the rim I thought they screamed early release. I think there must be some physics geek that could explain the principle, but it MUST be harder to keep a grip on something with less of an angle. Right?
                      Thanks for the report.
                      Anyone else?
                      Bruce- any early release issues? When wet?
                      Uhlman?

Comment

I don't own any of the new tee birds, I just tossed a couple in a field. But I didn't seem to have any release issues with them then. That was also a limited sample of throws to judge from.

Comment

The first time I saw the rim I thought they screamed early release. I think there must be some physics geek that could explain the principle, but it MUST be harder to keep a grip on something with less of an angle. Right?
                          Thanks for the report.
                          Anyone else?
                          Bruce- any early release issues? When wet?
                          Uhlman?
                          While the TeeBird isn’t my main driver I throw it two to three times a round. I have large hands and haven’t had a problem with early release. It does seem to relase more smooth though. While it feels different, it has the same flight as my regular TeeBirds (I am comparing old star and glow dx to new champ plastic here). I live in Pendleton… what’s rain? Seriously, mine are champion plastic and I have not encountered any issues with it that I don’t have with my other champ discs when wet.
                          Throw What You Know.
                          PDGA# 45989

Comment

U- Thanks for the input. Now you've made it a little harder not to try them- at least when dry.
                            Smoother release....
                            BUT, I have girl size hands.
                            undecided....

Comment

U- Thanks for the input. Now you've made it a little harder not to try them- at least when dry.
                              Smoother release....
                              BUT, I have girl size hands.
                              undecided....
                              I like it but my wife loves it.
                              Throw What You Know.
                              PDGA# 45989

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...