X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boss

I picked up a Boss with very low expectations since I cannot stand the excaliber and find the destroyer mediocre. I was and still am amazed. This disc is amazing. I was throwing the wraith for distance and the Boss is adding 30-50 to my drives. The disc is very easy to throw(if you can get it up to speed). It reminds me of a Valk in the way it picks up and pulls itself to the right and as long as you get enough height on it when it slows down it will crush back. I can throw it farther with less effort. I recommend this disc to those who throw a comfortable 375-400. It is amazing!
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Well, I wouldn't call it a comfortable 375-400 but I am convinced that the disc is worth a try, now.

Thanks!
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I really, really, really didn't want to jump on another "new disc band wagon", but I have been impressed with the Boss. Anybody have feedback on how well it holds up in windy conditions?

Comment

Mine is really flippy... like a wraith.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
          I really, really, really didn't want to jump on another "new disc band wagon", but I have been impressed with the Boss. Anybody have feedback on how well it holds up in windy conditions?
          I completely understand this sentiment. Gotta have this, gotta have that. This does this, this does that. What I want to know is, what standards are in place to rate a disc's speed? The Boss is supposedly a speed 13 disc. Ok. Great. So if Ol' Bob ever makes a disc, can we arbitrairily give it a speed of 42? Stupid new discs, and their shineyness, and my lack of willpower. Yeah, I ordered one. I am a dumb human.
          TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Rating 'speed' cracks me up. I would posit that any disc of a certain weight, thrown identically by the same arm would have a similar innitial speed. Now if they rated 'drag,' then speed, after a given interval, should inversely vary to the drag number. I know the speed of all my discs: slow.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
              I would posit that any disc of a certain weight, thrown identically by the same arm would have a similar innitial speed.
              A few years ago, Theo would bring the radar/speed gun out to every tournament. He measured the speed really, really close to the release point. I saw Avery get into the 70mph range with various drivers, with a putter, and into the high 60mph range with an ultimate disc.

I think your theory on initial speed is probably right.
              Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by zippyboy View Post
                The Boss is supposedly a speed 13 disc. Ok. Great. So if Ol' Bob ever makes a disc, can we arbitrairily give it a speed of 42?
                Only if the rim is about 8cm wide. Turns out Innova's "speed" rating for distance drivers is basically a factor of the wing width.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                  Only if the rim is about 8cm wide. Turns out Innova's "speed" rating for distance drivers is basically a factor of the wing width.
                  Seriously?!?! This is the main component in rating the disc's speed? Its wing width?!?! God damn I hate disc manufacturers (most often, Innova). Bob, lets start working on that disc...
                  TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

pulled from Disc Golf Review:
                    (The numbers are referring to cm.)

Originally posted by Working Stiff
                    here is the "secret" of speed in case there is someone on the planet that does not already know this...
                    Speed =rim thickness (+/- 0.1 in the case of overstable or understable discs) -1, then move the decimal place one space to the right. Call it Innova math. Laughing

Fairway drivers are defined by Innova marketing as Speed 5-7 discs
                    Raven, Rim 1.6, Speed 5 (large diameter, makes a disc slower)
                    Viper, Rim 1.6, Speed 5 (large diameter)
                    Leopard, Rim 1.6, Speed 6
                    Cheetah, Rim 1.6, Speed 6
                    Gazelle, Rim 1.6, Speed 6
                    Whippet, Rim 1.7, Speed 6
                    TL, Rim 1.8, Speed 7
                    Eagle, Rim 1.7, Speed 7
                    Pegasus, Rim 1.7, Speed 7
                    TeeBird, Rim1.7, Speed 7
                    Banshee, Rim 1.8, Speed 7

Distance Drivers are defined by Innova marketing as Speed 8 discs or above
                    Archangel, Rim 1.9, Speed 8
                    Dragon, Rim 1.8, Speed 8
                    Roadrunner, Rim 1.8, Speed 9
                    Sidewinder, Rim 1.8, Speed 9
                    Valkyrie, Rim 1.9, Speed 9
                    Viking, Rim 1.9, Speed 9
                    FL, Rim 1.9, Speed 9
                    Firebird, Rim 1.9, Speed 9
                    Beast, Rim 2.0, Speed 10
                    SL, Rim 2.0, Speed 10
                    Orc, Rim 2.0, Speed 10
                    Starfire, Rim 2.0, Speed 10
                    Monster, Rim2.0, Speed 10
                    Wraith, Rim 2.1, Speed 11
                    TeeRex, Rim 2.2, Speed 11
                    Max, Rim 2.2, Speed 11
                    Destroyer, Rim 2.2, Speed 12
                    XCaliber, Rim 2.3, Speed 12

So it is really that easy. Big rim, fast disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Olson View Post
                      pulled from Disc Golf Review:
                      (The numbers are referring to cm.)
                      Thankfully the original post you quoted from was worded condecendingly enough that I feel like a moron for even having asked. That being said, thanks for the info Eric.

Comment

Speed is a sexier word than fatness. What else would we expect from a disc marketing company? They know we're mostly idiots. Every day I'm more convinced that I've somehow gotten off on the wrong goddamned planet. Time to drink a Red Bull, drop an Enzite, and say "f*@! it all."

Comment

Originally posted by proto something or other View Post
                          I saw Avery get into the 70mph range with various drivers, with a putter, and into the high 60mph range with an ultimate disc.
                          Makes perfect sense. A disc with significantly higher drag or weight would slow arm/release speed.

Comment

Originally posted by zippyboy View Post
                            Thankfully the original post you quoted from was worded condecendingly enough that I feel like a moron for even having asked. That being said, thanks for the info Eric.
                            You should feel smart for asking the right questions instead of feeling like a moron. It's a good question to ask, and I'm not sure why the post I quoted was worded in way to make it sound like something everybody already knows.

Comment

The problem with them calling it "speed" is just that it's not a measure of the disc's speed out of your hand; it's more like "this is the speed at which you need to be throwing in order to make this disc do what it's designed to do." I don't understand the physics of it, but obviously a wider rim is affecting some variable that's speed-sensitive.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X