X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Rain Gear that actually works?

I am totally frustrated by my search fro the perfect gear for playing in the rain. Here is my dilemma:

I have great rain pants, shoes and umbrella. I can't seem to find the right combination of base upper layer for wicking away perspiration, light layer for heat containment and rain jacket that will allow for mosture escape while not allowing external moisture in. All of this and excellent freedom of movement is what I am trying to find.

Has anyone found the right combination to keep them warm and dry on a rainy, chilly day in the Northwest?

REI suggests that the only way to do it, is to spend about $350 on their Event Jacket, Mountain Hardwear synthetic base layer, and Mountain Hardwear wool, cotton blend overlayer.

Hoping for a better answer than that.

Anyone?
    Training to be a bagger

Have you tried looking at anywhere that is not REI? i have found that a combo of my Starter dry-star jacket ($15 Wal-Mart) and and a rain jacket (one of the windbraker looking ones) I got at bimart for $35 works great for spring/fall rain in the NW.
    Throw What You Know.
    "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
    PDGA# 45989

Comment

Except that you will get wet and it won't feel as bad.
      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I am happy with my Marmot PreCip. Stay dry, pitzips to prevent overheating and the hood is adjustable so it won't go too low or high. Won't break the bank either. Got mine at Dick's.
        Can still throw easily with it on.

Comment

Mr. Pink purchased a rain set at Costco for under $30. Claims it is the best rain gear he's ever worn.

Comment

I have the best rain gear, i shet you not.... but it's quite expensive.... move to a sunny state, heh...

Comment

Originally posted by Carie CPink View Post
              Mr. Pink purchased a rain set at Costco for under $30. Claims it is the best rain gear he's ever worn.

Is it the kirkland pants and jacket set? I have the same thing and its seems to be better quality then my Marmot stuff.

I still can't play worth a crap in a rain jacket. When I know its going to be wet I bring a couple hoodies, and just try to keep under my umbrella as long as possible. I've had good success with this, and I can usually keep a hoodie fairly dry for the entire round.
              Current World Rank: 2857th
              Lowest Rated Round: 777
              Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
              Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
              Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
              Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
              Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
              Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Has anyone tried this jacket yet? Mountain Hardwear Epic Jacket
                Training to be a bagger

Comment

How does he feel the range of motion works for him? I find that is pretty important.

The slosh at Hornings this year definitely clued me in that I had the wrong gear in the rain. Although it was a constant downpour from start to finish. I would never play a casual round in that kind of crap. But the 3MPO is probably going to be 2 days of constant drenching. Since it is a sanctioned event, it does seem to make sense to find an excellent rain combo. I don't want to be completely soaked by the 10th hole, and I also don't want to be dry but so constricted that I can't throw effectively. F'n rain!
                  Training to be a bagger

Comment

Poncho?

Has anyone tried a poncho? I wonder if that might be a middle of the road solution?
                    Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by keys View Post
                      Is it the kirkland pants and jacket set? I have the same thing and its seems to be better quality then my Marmot stuff.
                      It is...in fact, Jason uses it as his rain gear for riding his motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
                        How does he feel the range of motion works for him? I find that is pretty important.
                        I should really let him answer but he's been cracking out on the PS-3 he got for his birthday...but I digress.

Range of motion works for him...and he's particular about his gear.

The way I'm pimping this Costco gear, you would think that I work for them or something...we're waiting for it to show up again because I'll be buying a set as well.

Comment

I should really let him answer but he's been cracking out on the PS-3 he got for his birthday...but I digress.

Range of motion works for him...and he's particular about his gear.

The way I'm pimping this Costco gear, you would think that I work for them or something...we're waiting for it to show up again because I'll be buying a set as well.
                          Thanks I will go check it out.
                          Training to be a bagger

Comment

I found a nice nike golf jacket at Ross for $20-25 that is waterproof and allows for full range of motion... but I'm definitely with Keys in that I will opt to wear something more comfortable(especially in competition), bring extra clothing, and use a big ass umbrella.

For me, something with a sleeve that is too long is automatically eliminated, along with anything that feels too cumbersome.
                            Many dg'ers seem to like soft shell jackets that are weather resistant...lightweight parkas that aren't too baggy... I have a few friends that swear by their ball golfer style rain jackets/vests... and then there's Bro, who just goes shirtless whenever it rains.

Might have to stop by Costco tomorrow... they also sell a base layer top/bottom that is super comfortable... and have you tried their pecan pie?
                            Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; April 5th, 2010, 11:38 PM. Reason: spelled competition wrong
                            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                              Except that you will get wet and it won't feel as bad.
                              Donít knock it until you try it. I have yet to be wet using this combo and I am a large man that sweats a lot. Expensive does not always equal better.
                              Throw What You Know.
                              "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                              PDGA# 45989

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X