X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glow golf

Thought I would ask the people with experience. What works best? Glow discs and blacklights? L.e.d.'s and watch batteries? The lights they sell at Joe's hanging on the Innova rack? Fishing lure lights? The little glow in the dark stars that kids put on the ceiling of their bedrooms? Do you tape the l.e.d.'s to the top or bottom of the disc? What the hell is glow tape?

Don't know about the lights at Joe's but I'm guessing they're some of these? Those are the best solutions I've seen. They last a good amount of time, are bright enough to be found easily, don't affect the flight of the disc much, and can be turned on/off. Some people around here have used little keychain LEDs which weigh like 5 grams and are bright as hell. They look cool flying through the air, but I personally hate them b/c they're so bright, it mucks up my night vision, especially if I get zapped in the eye (they're bright enough to cast a clear shadow, if that tells you anything).

Don't know about the "glow tape", I just say look for the best duct tape you can find. One of our group found a roll that was like "hurricane force" duct tape, and that stuff rocks.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

If you use LEDs, use red ones. Red light doesn't hurt night vision.
      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

LEDs rock!

Comment

I was looking through Radio Shack's catalog online and ran across some ultraviolet LED's. I'm thinking of picking a couple up to put on a glow disc. My thoughts are that the will keep the disc charged enough to see. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

Brilliant! Photons roll downspectrum.

Comment

So after a trip to Radio Shack I have some preliminary results. I didn't know there would be so many options but I ended up with this:

5mm High Brightness Ultraviolet LED - 2 pack
              Intensity: 280mcd
              Wavelength: 395nm(min), 410nm(max)
              Viewing angle: 30 degrees
              FW current:20mA
              FW supply: 3.2V
              These should work well on a glow disc. I taped them to my new CFR glo Teebird and went into a dark room. Disc was lit up well with the black light purplish color of the LED's and some green from the disc trying to glow.

High Brightness Rectangular Red LED - 2 pack
              Intensity: 80mcd
              Wavelength: 660nm
              Viewing angle: 154 degrees
              FW current: 20mA
              FW supply: 1.9-2.4V
              This is going to be my first choice for non-glow plastic. Probably best for clear Champion or Z. The wide viewing angle really lights up a lot of surface area.

5mm Red LED - 2 pack
              Intensity: 120mcd
              Wavelength: 660nm
              Viewing angle: 40
              FW current: 20mA
              FW supply: 1.8-2.4V
              These are what I would use for a more opaque plastic. 120mcd seems to be pushing it as far as brightness goes. The narrower viewing angle does make a cool effect on the disc though.

I picked up a 1.5V battery and a 3V. The 1.5V barely lit anything up. The 3V that I got specifically for the UV LED's is the winner for all. I don't know if it will damage the other one's that have a max voltage of 2.4, only time will tell. I also picked up a 3000mcd LED but the viewing angle is only 12 degrees so I am just going to take that one back.

All my tests were done by taping the LED's and battery to the center of the underside of the disc using some old duct tape. My next test will be for the type of tape to use and to figure out a better way to handle the LED's. I'm thinking I need to solder a couple together so it's only a matter of sliding the LED between the legs and taping them together.

Comment

I've used some RadioShack 500mcd 660nm reds that are 2.2V. They are good up to maximum 3V reverse voltage and worked great with a 2025 3V battery. The Archer Cat. No. of the LEDs is 276-088. These came with red lenses made to pop into a 11/32 hole. I removed the red lenses and the center tab from the black bases from three of them and simply pinched the conecters down to fit right over the battery. The only problem I've had is maintaining good connections at the low current. Clear packing tape worked great.
                Last edited by Ol' Bob; October 4th, 2008, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I just picked up some clear duct tape. Hopefully it is as good as everyone says it is. Tonight should be a good test.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X