X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion on Long Range Drivers

Well... I seem to have a fair amount of Long Range drivers but no real distant drivers.

Can anyone suggest a long range driver?

I'm not sure I understand the question; what do you think the difference is between "long range" and "distance" drivers?

(Besides, if you're just starting out, the "super-duper-maximum-extreme-speed99-supersonic" drivers are probably not a good idea.)
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Long Range and Distant drivers.... the same right?

he he he

I love the learning curve!

When your teeing off.... you want a long range driver, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
        Long Range and Distant drivers.... the same right?

he he he

I love the learning curve!

Not really, it all depends on the hole, how long, what you want the disc to do, the wind, up hill, down hill.

I'm by no means a pro, just a rec player, but I suggest going for a disc you can control, very stable, beginner disc.

You have definitely come to the right place to find out your answers though.

Just my 2 cents
        this is me when I hit a tree, after tree, after tree

Comment

No. Not if you're new.

You probably haven't developed the snap and form yet to make a distance driver behave like it should. You'll find that most drivers do about the same thing.. When you really develop a snap you'll start to notice a difference.
          Best to learn with midranges, and fairway drivers. Start with Rocs, cheetahs, leopards, sharks, cobras, etc... When you start to see consistency, and start to turn these over on long drives, move on to some flippy drivers such as roadrunners, valkyries, monarchs, sidewinders, etc...

Comment

Well... I seem to have a fair amount of Long Range drivers but no real distant drivers.

Can anyone suggest a long range driver?
            I would say that for your first year of disc golf, you could probably play the entire time with these three discs:

An Aviar (Or any putter that you feel comfortable with)
            A Roc (Or another medium speed mid-range disc like a buzz)
            A Teebird (Or a Teebird-L (TL) if the normal teebird is too stable for you.)

These three discs are multi-purpose and can be used effectively in almost every situation. Once you get these 3 discs dialed in, then you can start experimenting with other discs to fill the holes in your game.

Plus, limiting the number of molds you throw will help you get your throw mechanics consistent and smooth.
            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I think that as a beginner, when playing and wanting to achieve more distance, throw something a little less stable like a Sidewinder or a Roadrunner or a Leopard. If you can get the disc to go right at all (assuming you are a RHBH - right hand, backhand), you will get more distance. Wanting to achieve more accuracy is another issue, though, and eventually you'll have to find that balance between distance and accuracy. Playing for four years now, I am hoping that it will happen for me soon.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Definitely agree on the Leopard as a good starter disc, it was the first disc I threw that I actually got comfortable with. Rocs are a great disc, but I found them to be frustrating when I was first getting started--too stable and uncomfortable in the hand to be of much use for me. Maybe a Cobra would be a good bet. Also, I've got much love for the Impact--awful name, but a great disc. It'll hold any line you put it on, provided you give it a clean release. Any wobble in your throw though, and it'll flip like a spatula. Its a great all around disc, plus its good for learning how to get proper form.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Throw only DX plastic (or the lowest cost plastic offered by any company) these plastics beat in easier and teach angles better than a plastic that is more dense. I recommend a leopard for a driver, a stratus for a mid range, a kite, or a goblin, and an aviar to putt with. Keep it simple learn at most 5 discs, 2 mid range, 2 drivers, and 1 putter. Keep those discs to low speed straight or understable molds(discs that will fight natural turn). A long range or ultra distance driver will not fly as far a fairway driver thrown well by a beginner. Find people around you that look like they know what they are doing and ask questions. There are a lot of good disc golf instructional videos on youtube and discgolftv.com. Most importantly have fun.
                  Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Blue, DX, leopard. (period)

Comment

I throw my blue DX leopard 120 ft and it ends up about 400 past that. If you don't have one get one!
                      Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Yes... the red ones suck.

On a more serious note... Red discs are better than blue discs so long as they are made by Innova.
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Some blue star discs are amazing as long as they are the harder plastic. I read that there are 3 densities for star plastic. I have found the red and blue are the most dense making them more stable. There are also different plastics within the champ line the clear is more dense(stable) than the cloudy unless it is super light then it gets very floppy. People talk about the inconsistancies in discs and plastics but I have noticed very consistant inconsistancies. You know what you are getting if you know what you are looking at.
                          Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            Yes... the red ones suck.

On a more serious note... Red discs are better than blue discs so long as they are made by Innova.
                            I know you're just saying that to get me worked up--but that's just blasphemy!

Don't listen to this--he's just

Wait a minute...um....yeah, he's right about that--only buy non blue plastic...
                            Especially if you eventually (?) play better than me in my competitive division...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedisc View Post
                              I know you're just saying that to get me worked up--but that's just blasphemy!
                              Actually, I'm not. I am finding myself picking out red discs when I go shopping now because they seem more stable to me. Of course, this is the opposite of the advice I gave earlier (beginner players should be throwing understable plastic) but that's just a little threaddrift is all...
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X