X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhyped discs...

Ok so we started an underhyped disc section. That has brought on a lot of good discussions. So, in the interest of keeping it interesting, I figured I'd start an overhyped disc section.

Here we go, since I have a few of them:

1.) Teerex: Many many people recommend them and yet I haven't seen one of those people who should be throwing them.
    2.) Surge: I'm a huge Discraft fan but seriously, this disc isn't the monster that everyone says it is. I can throw a Crush sooooo much further and with way more consistency. I love watching people flip them over and bitch that they shouldn't do that. From my experience that's about all they ever do.
    3.) Wraith: Same thing, dead straight? Not for me at least. More like stay right and earn some well deserved f-bombs.
    4.) Banger Gt: The groove top doesn't make a sub par disc any better.
    5.) Striker: I'll catch a lot of flack for this but it seems that Tee-Birds and Stalkers are a better option with as much distance as this disc. I have seen some people throw them really well I'm just not one of them.
    6.) Groove: The Boss was pretty good but they should've worked on a Boss SS version. The Groove is just too inconsistent to be of any good use.
    7.) Excalibur: I bought three in different weights and they all do the same thing. Die a hard hyzer death even if I snap them clean and hard. Maybe I should've tried them in a different plastic. Seems to be slower then it's Destroyer counterpart as well.
    8.) XL: I have never meet one I like. They die right.
    9.) Stratus: Not the monster roller it's meant to be. Perhaps this is because I have too much snap or arm speed?
    and finally...
    10.) Magnet: The APX is as straight, as glidey and doesn't have that annoying ass beaded lip on the bottom. I have gashed my hands open on three different Magnets and that was enough for me.

Now let the flaming, arguing and debating begin.
    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
    Cleveland Brown

Is this over hyped discs or just discs that suck that are supposed to be good?

Top 5 most over hyped

1. Aviar (and all of it's versions): Not a bad putter but it's certainly over hyped, there are other discs that do the same job but because of the number of pros that use it and marketing from Innova EVERYONE putts with one of these.

2. Groove: The groove inside the rim is about as useful as the groove on top of the disc from Discraft. One of the most inconsistent discs I have ever thrown.

3. Roc (and all of it's versions): So over hyped again because of it's uses by pros and marketing from Innova.

4. Surge: Just because Nate Doss throws one doesn't mean it's a great disc. A Crush or worn Force will go much farther with better accuracy.

5. Boss: Sorry boss fans but this disc really should only be used by about 5% of the throwing population and we see people buying their first discs and what do they buy? A Boss of course, it's the biggest baddest disc out there, how could you not throw it?
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Dude- you're supposed to save the Roc until thread starts to die down. Now it's just going to be a Roc defense/Buzz is better thread.

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
        Is this over hyped discs or just discs that suck that are supposed to be good?

Top 5 most over hyped

1. Aviar (and all of it's versions): Not a bad putter but it's certainly over hyped, there are other discs that do the same job but because of the number of pros that use it and marketing from Innova EVERYONE putts with one of these.

2. Groove: The groove inside the rim is about as useful as the groove on top of the disc from Discraft. One of the most inconsistent discs I have ever thrown.

3. Roc (and all of it's versions): So over hyped again because of it's uses by pros and marketing from Innova.

4. Surge: Just because Nate Doss throws one doesn't mean it's a great disc. A Crush or worn Force will go much farther with better accuracy.

5. Boss: Sorry boss fans but this disc really should only be used by about 5% of the throwing population and we see people buying their first discs and what do they buy? A Boss of course, it's the biggest baddest disc out there, how could you not throw it?
        Lol, I guess you could call all those discs that suck but I've seen them all used well. The problem is these are the discs that were the most hyped to me when I was looking for different discs to use. I spent soo much damn money and not a single one of those discs were what I was looking for. Shouldn't of listened to my friends and gone with my gut instincts cause they seem to be right more often then they do.
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

You and I agree on a lot of these, General.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
            You and I agree on a lot of these, General.
            Yep, sure do. The worst part about it is that most people will read our answers and immediately we will catch an ass load of flack. Of course, you more then I because I didn't dare attack the Roc or Aviar even though I agree 100 percent that they are just too overhyped. Not saying bad discs, but not the miracle discs that they are claimed to be.

Same I guess could be said for the Buzzz. I won't say it but I bet it is said at least once.
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
              9.) Stratus: Not the monster roller it's meant to be. Perhaps this is because I have too much snap or arm speed?
              I didn't know it was meant to be a monster roller. At least not in the last 10 years. The Stratus is brilliant as an understable approach disc though.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

...are whichever ones that have been recently released.

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                  Yep, sure do. The worst part about it is that most people will read our answers and immediately we will catch an ass load of flack. Of course, you more then I because I didn't dare attack the Roc or Aviar even though I agree 100 percent that they are just too overhyped. Not saying bad discs, but not the miracle discs that they are claimed to be.

Same I guess could be said for the Buzzz. I won't say it but I bet it is said at least once.
                  Yep the Buzzz too, it's over hyped and it's my favorite disc on the market, lol.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Can I just say "Discraft" in general? Okay so I am joking, there is one Discraft disc I would throw if I could get a hold of a couple.

The Groove was way over hyped, and is about worthless to me.

The Quest (I think?) Quarter K....Talk about an over hyped disc back when it first came out, sure it was great for the first throw, until it hit the ground. Then the plastic was done.

I used to think Eagles were over hyped as well, until the last 2 months when they've become my go to fairway drivers. I know some people still believe they are over hyped.

Okay, that's all I can think of for now, but I'll update this should my mind clear up anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                      The Quest (I think?) Quarter K....Talk about an over hyped disc back when it first came out, sure it was great for the first throw, until it hit the ground. Then the plastic was done.
                      The QK was by Discwing.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Surge
                        Roc
                        Banger-GT
                        Dart
                        www.soulpancake.com
                        www.bahai.org
                        http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

The Boss is definitely overhyped (Destroyer is much more consistent), as are the Dart (too floaty), Comet (too floaty, doesn't handle wind well, flies like a large diameter putter), the Sidewinder (squirrel city), Avenger SS (squirrelly x2), Whistler (hyped by freestylers, but golfers don't want a lid), Striker (its both overhyped and very good), Challenger (floaty and doesn't handle power well), CE plastic (overhyped, too expensive, but also very good), Sonic (crappy lid/golf disc), Quarter K (one hit wonder), Diablo DT (inconsistent as all hell), Groove (ditto) and probably a lot more than I am listing.

There are discs that have huge hype or huge followings that I don't think are overhyped because the discs live up to it.

The Teebird, Eagle-X, Rancho Roc, Buzzz, Wizard, Firebird, Whippet-X, Xtreme, Cyclone, and Gazelle are good examples.
                          Last edited by Parks; February 5th, 2010, 09:33 PM.
                          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I'll beat all your asses and I pretty much only throw bosses, eagles, firebirds and aviars...

That said... I throw with pro snap... the problem i see is that disc are all marketed to the whole market... too many people are throwing discs that they can't control or which they don't have the power to get any benefit out of.

The Boss lives up to the hype for me (the champ ones at least).

If that is not enough to get this thread going... how about this...

You want overhyped... any putter that is not an aviar.
                            I know a ton of guys who throw a rhyno or a wizard or a magic or a challenger or a _____ just so they won't be like everyone else.

I used to putt with rhynos. When I switched to aviars my rating went up 40 points and my putting range increased by 20 - 40 feet.

(ps. no malice is meant by the post, just a little ribbing)

Comment

I dont think the Boss is overhyped at all. I just think it is about 2 years ahead of it's time. Awesome disc.
                              www.soulpancake.com
                              www.bahai.org
                              http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X