X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underhyped discs

You always see stuff about the high speed drivers that go for miles but what are your "trick" discs I don't think I have ever played with that has not asked "what disc is that" and I answer "Comet" that sir was the Comet the most underrated disc ever.
    The Frisbee is the mirror to the soul.

-M. Burns

Comet is a great disc but it's certainly not under hyped. From Discraft's website:

"If you own only one disc, this is it. The legendary Comet is a super accurate, straight flying approach disc. Holds whatever line you throw it on. The Comet was crucial to Ron Russell's Pro Worlds victory, and has been called the best golf disc ever."
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Well of course Discraft hypes it. They hype their crappy molds too!

But it's true that you don't see many people carrying Comets around. Most of us have lousy form and can't get the smooth release that a Comet really needs to do its thing.
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I have no idea if the X2 is even made anymore, but about 8 years ago that used to be my disc. I had one that was just beat to snot and I could do just about anything with it and a new one of hyzer shots. Pretty sure those were the last discraft discs I bought.

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
          Comet is a great disc but it's certainly not under hyped. From Discraft's website:

"If you own only one disc, this is it. The legendary Comet is a super accurate, straight flying approach disc. Holds whatever line you throw it on. The Comet was crucial to Ron Russell's Pro Worlds victory, and has been called the best golf disc ever."
          well that is from the manufacturers website and all but you always know people are throwing a ROC or a BUZZ something that everyone throws. I am talking about like a stingray or an Eclipse or a Rattler, I just don't ever see much banter about "odd" discs always about certain ones.

-M. Burns

Comment

Champion Birdie.

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
              Champion Birdie.
              hell yeah nice i have only seen dx plastic.

-M. Burns

Comment

I've got a big stack of Rattlers. It's my goto. I wish I had a bunch of 150 DX Stingrays for the loaner box. It's the disc I'd start most of beginners with. Besides that, I've seen a 150 DX Ray tossed well over 400 feet!
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I carry two Slipstream-GT's, now that's an odd and under hyped disc, I see plenty of people carrying the Comet, which I also carry.
                  Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                    I've got a big stack of Rattlers. It's my goto. I wish I had a bunch of 150 DX Stingrays for the loaner box. It's the disc I'd start most of beginners with. Besides that, I've seen a 150 DX Ray tossed well over 400 feet!
                    150 ray is what the wife and littlest throw and are quite a forgiving disc for beginners.

-M. Burns

Comment

Though it's no longer the staple of my mid range game as it once was, I still hold a big place in my heart for Discraft's old Z Extreme. The disc, to this day, is the most overstable disc ever made, a big claim but you just have to try it and see. I just wish they were still in major production.
                      Last edited by Joshua Olmsted; February 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM.
                      PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                      dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

I think the Zone is an underhyped disc. That sucker is solid.
                        The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

One side of my bag I carry and use a stingray and on the other end I carry a whippet. Both of which I consider two valuable tools. Been using them for years. Oh yes I cant forget to list my sticker cyclones from the 90's, I believe this is the most legendary plastic Disccraft ever made.

Comment

I'd consider my cfr max my 'trick' crazy overstable driver-- similar to Josh's extreme... recently added an uber stable ce viper for those tricky flick shots that need even more forgiveness(stability) than my ce gator can provide. On the other end of the spectrum I sometimes carry a super-duper flippy beat up dx leopard($2 used) that has basically one purpose left in it's life: curl up next to basket #9 at North Park(LHBHR).

Need more stability in your life? GATOR DONE!!
                            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
                              Though it's no longer the staple of my mid range as it once was, I still hold a big place in my heart for Discraft's old Z Extreme. The disc, to this day, is the most overstable disc ever made, a big claim but you just have to try it and see. I just wish they were still in major production.
                              You sound like someone that has never thrown a Ram. It makes the Xtreme seem like a beat 150 DX Stingray. I tried to order one once but the plane carrying it just hyzered out and crashed.

As for the Comet, its the most overhyped, redundant piece of poop. It basically flies like a floaty putter in the shape of a mid. I couldn't imagine a situation where I'd want to throw a Comet over a Roc or a Wizard, unless I was playing catch on a beach or something.

As for a great underhyped, I'm not sure. I'd maybe have to go with the SOLF, or possibly the Avenger. Both are absolute workhorse discs that don't seem to get much love (the SOLF gets hype on DGR, but that's about it).
                              We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X