Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using the Zone for a forehand roller and have had better results than with other discs I've used. Had to switch to a slightly "weaker" grip (I had been rolling Xtremes) but I've found this disc is easy to put down at a proper angle and it goes and goes. Throw some air shots with 'em too, same grip adjustment but great results (by my admittedly low standards). Only ace in the last year was a Zone, as well as best score for a league round in many years.

Papa, you made me do some fact checking, I hadn't placed the Stratus as early on my mental time line as it should have been. Those puppies have been around since '97. I'll never doubt you again, at least for the rest of the week.

Joe
    Joe Wander
    Producer and Editor
    Disc Golf Live video magazine
    www.discgolflive.com
    Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time

Comment

I recently put the Ringer I got at the Ace Race into my bag. I like my Four-Times Aviar-X for many approaches and some long putts. I find that I often go too far with that sweet -X. The Ringer is working out well for when I'm afraid of overshooting with the Four-Times. It runs the same lines but at about two thirds the distance.
      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
      ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Cheers to the Gator

I also have carried a champ stingray for a long time...

Comment

ORC

I vote ORC. It lost most of it's popularity when the wraith came out because the wraith was faster. It lost the rest of it's popularity when the newest drivers coming out were much faster and more stable.

I still think an ORC is an awesome all around driver. It's very controlable as long as you don't want to throw it like an Xcal or something stupid stable. Throw it flat with "pop" and it'll fly beautifully.

However, it's another one of those discs that require decent form and a smooth release in order to use to it's fullest capability.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Phillips View Post
            ORC

I vote ORC. It lost most of it's popularity when the wraith came out because the wraith was faster. It lost the rest of it's popularity when the newest drivers coming out were much faster and more stable.

I still think an ORC is an awesome all around driver. It's very controlable as long as you don't want to throw it like an Xcal or something stupid stable. Throw it flat with "pop" and it'll fly beautifully.

However, it's another one of those discs that require decent form and a smooth release in order to use to it's fullest capability.
            I agree 100%. The orc was my main driver, until the Pro Boss came out. There's not much room in my bag for them these days since I can throw the Boss almost exactly the same and go 30-50' farther.

Comment

Originally posted by DexterHawk View Post
              Cheers to the Gator

I also have carried a champ stingray for a long time...
              You know it. I remember in kamloops when you commented on my CE ring stamp gator in the doubles round. Damn sexton and Luke beating us by 1
              My favourite putter is my driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
                Though it's no longer the staple of my mid range game as it once was, I still hold a big place in my heart for Discraft's old Z Extreme. The disc, to this day, is the most overstable disc ever made, a big claim but you just have to try it and see. I just wish they were still in major production.
                I saw some Z Extremes online at a very reasonable price and almost got one. Maybe I should right now! I've seen Gwillim throw his a lot. It flies like an elephant.

Comment

It will never leave my bag - I almost parked number one at meadow ridge with it yesterday, and routinely get chains with it on the back nine at rooster.

Of my 4 aces, 3 of them were with orcs, anagramically, the other one was with a roc...

Originally posted by Sean Phillips View Post
                  ORC

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Steel View Post
                    Is the XD underrated, or just old?
                    The amount of xd's I see in people's bags and the love in their hearts that people have for them, I'd say no, it's not underrated... it's an oldie but goodie... I have two... one on the newish (for me, anyway... ) side, like two years old for the super straight and narrow type approaches, and then a super beloved, probably at least 10 year old one that's all warped and mangled and chewed up, but that flies like a dream when I need to annie around a tree from 100 feet away up to the green...

I love and trust my xd perhaps the most of all my discs...
                    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I have to agree with the Discraft Zone as an underrated disc. I throw this bad boy so damn much because I can throw it hard and trust it not to flip. I don't finesse this disc throwing backhand. It allows me to throw with confidence in nervous tournament situations without having to throw touch shots with a Buzzz or something that could flip if you pull it (not to say the Buzzz isn't a phenomenal disc -- it is). I think this is a slightly slower replacement for a Gator or Drone, and is slightly less stable than those two. It feels great in my hand and always releases smooth with that extremely flat top. Mmm, mmm, I love me some Zone.

Comment

Originally posted by grant View Post
                        well that is from the manufacturers website and all but you always know people are throwing a ROC or a BUZZ something that everyone throws. I am talking about like a stingray or an Eclipse or a Rattler, I just don't ever see much banter about "odd" discs always about certain ones.
                        haha! eclipse eclipse eclipse! I keep saying I've grown out of it (it was my first driver 12 years ago, when I first started playing seriously), but it just keeps coming in handy and I still like to carry around two with me at all times!

peace,
                        em
                        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by grant View Post
                          hell yeah nice i have only seen dx plastic.
                          I 2nd the vote for champion birdie as the most underhyped disc (i.e. publicly laughed at ) I guess it will be my little secret
                          'Weekend 4 Women':
                          Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                          Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Along the lines of Papa's post, I think the XL gets my vote for Discraft's most underhyped but amazing disc.
                            'Weekend 4 Women':
                            Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                            Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

I vote for the Z-Extreme. Also honorable mention to the Ching Tank.

Comment

i thought of another. the champion viking. i threw them for every situation and they always did what they were told.
                                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X