X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all flat top Bosses first runs?

Most people out there who throw the Boss know that there are those with flat tops and then some with more domey tops. I can't say as a rule that ALL Feldberg stamped discs have the more domey flight plate but it's been my experience that at least MOST of them do. Obviously, the domed ones are more overstable, which I prefer.

Anyway, here's my question: Are all the flat tops first runs, or did Innova make a first run and then continue making more flat tops after that? I have two tournament stamped champ Bosses that have flat tops (Clash on the Columbia, and Rose City Open).

Thanks in advance to the great internet hivemind.

i have 2 dave f champ bosses in good condition, one flat top and one domey and i can say that my flat top one is way way more stable than the domey one.

Comment

My flat top discs are more stable than my domey as well. The most stable bosses I have thrown are the orange champion bosses. I haven't thrown many star so I can't speak on those
      Read this ^

Comment

Do you mean first 'production' run?
        Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

I gotta agree with the last couple of posts.

Flatter is MORE stable, less glide.
          Domey is LESS stable with more glide.
          I think the Star plastic runs are the flattest current production models.
          My Feldberg has more dome than my Starlight.

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
            I gotta agree with the last couple of posts.

Flatter is MORE stable, less glide.
            Domey is LESS stable with more glide.
            I think the Star plastic runs are the flattest current production models.
            My Feldberg has more dome than my Starlight.
            really? i thought it was the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
              really? i thought it was the other way around?
              Wow, I'm surprised at these responses. You all are the best judges of what your discs do in the air. But my experience is that domey= overstable and more glide with the Bosses. Well, a good Boss is a wonderful thing, but I guess that's Innova for you. I think the Boss has been one of their most inconsistent molds.

On a side note, I agree about the Star Bosses being flat-topped. Mine started out crazy overstable though. I've since beat it in over a period of about 9 months, and it is a bomber (gotta throw with hyzer though).

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                Do you mean first 'production' run?
                Yes, that's what I meant. I have a feeling that it probably isn't true. There have probably been multiple and continuing runs of Bosses with slight variations in flight, including the dome vs. flat top issue.

Comment

Interesting topic. I overheard Nate Sexton talking about his "Super Bosses" at the Spokane City Cup last fall during the Final 10. Normally I wouldn't talk to one of the players during play but I was too curious so I asked him about the Super Boss. He said that Innova had some very domey STAR Bosses. He said they are only made in the 165-169 range but he said they were way more overstable then even a max weight Xcal. Thought that was interesting. I haven't thrown a Boss in any plastic much (yet) so don't know how a STAR compares to a Champ or Pro but just thought I'd share my 2 cents. There is a noticeable difference in domeyness that I have seen between the "super Boss" and other STAR Bosses.

Comment

At some point towards the beginning of this last summer, Innova did a run of red star bosses, they were almost see through and they are super flat. These are by far the most overstable boss I've ever touched. Though from my general experience with champ bosses flat is flippy, domey is stable to overstable.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                      Interesting topic. I overheard Nate Sexton talking about his "Super Bosses" at the Spokane City Cup last fall during the Final 10. Normally I wouldn't talk to one of the players during play but I was too curious so I asked him about the Super Boss. He said that Innova had some very domey STAR Bosses. He said they are only made in the 165-169 range but he said they were way more overstable then even a max weight Xcal. Thought that was interesting. I haven't thrown a Boss in any plastic much (yet) so don't know how a STAR compares to a Champ or Pro but just thought I'd share my 2 cents. There is a noticeable difference in domeyness that I have seen between the "super Boss" and other STAR Bosses.
                      I've never heard that term "Super Boss" (not sure if that's just what Nate is calling it), but I have heard talk of these specific molds being special. I especially took note of someone saying these light ones were the most overstable Bosses around. I thought that was weird at the time, but if what Nate was saying is true then it makes sense. I believe these bosses also have a star plastic blend that is more translucent than most, basically opaque when held to the light. I'd love to get my hands on one!

Comment

Yeah, I have 4 bosses,
                        champ 173 boss - break this in and just crazy cool to throw..
                        star 167 boss - OMFG this thing is the craziest overstable disc i have ever touched...
                        star 173 boss - took a while to break in but flies awesome for me
                        pro 175 boss - awesome out of the box - flies like the 173 beat boss

for me, flat tops have been more overstable and domey less stable... but really, its still all about knowing your discs...

Comment

Originally posted by blang11 View Post
                          I've never heard that term "Super Boss" (not sure if that's just what Nate is calling it), but I have heard talk of these specific molds being special. I especially took note of someone saying these light ones were the most overstable Bosses around. I thought that was weird at the time, but if what Nate was saying is true then it makes sense. I believe these bosses also have a star plastic blend that is more translucent than most, basically opaque when held to the light. I'd love to get my hands on one!
                          :sighs:

We keep going over this. Over and over and over.
                          The lightest Star Boss's, between 165 and 170 grams are MORE stable than the heavier weights. Yes, thats right, MORE, not less stable.
                          This goes against everything we know about HSS and it only applies to the Boss right now.
                          Well, that and some of the latest runs of Star Destroyers, which also have have been stabilized in lighter weights recently.
                          Dunipace used a special technique to stablize them.
                          These are called Star Light. Thats why I referred to the disc that way in my previous post.
                          Its a high speed stable disc thats a little lighter, giving it superior distance to its heavier brothers, thats why he calls it a " Super Boss".

Its also the longest disc I throw.

Here is the quote from Dave at Innova, posted on the PDGA forum.
                          Originally Posted by DUNIPACE
                          As for the Star Bosses: they are the exception to the general rule about Champion being more stable than Star in lighter weights. Lighter weight Star Bosses are made with a different process than the heavy weights. This process does add more stability. It affects weights from 165g (usually x parts) to 171g. 172g to 175 should not be affected and therefore should be slightly less stable in Star. At some point, we will use this process to get Star Destroyers and Star Wraiths down in weight too. We believe we can get Star Destroyers down to 165gs successfully and Star Wraiths down to 162gs.
                          If you pick up any other disc in Star plastic around the same weight and hold it up to light with a Boss next to it, you will instantly see the difference in the translucency of the flight plate, the Boss is almost like Champ plastic.

Comment

A boss more overstable than an X-Caliber? Why even bother naming the discs models at all? Come on, Innova! Get it together!
                            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Over on DGR, a guy has made an interesting observation. The domey vs. flat thing may not be the indicator of stability in a mold, rather it's a side effect of the way the disc changes shape when it cools. It seems that what IS the indicator is the "parting line" of the mold, i.e. where the top part of the mold and bottom part meet. When some discs cool, they shrink in an anomalous way, and the parting line moves upward and results in a much more stable disc. Some molds are more prone than others, and it looks like the Boss may be one of them. I tried this experiment with my freaky stable Viking, comparing it to a normal Viking, and it matched the parting line hypothesis perfectly.

Check out the thread here: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
                              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X