X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mach Lite vs. Skill Shot

Looking to purchase a portable to take to the neighborhood school field to practice since I live in an apt. Can anyone give some pro's and con's ? I'm leaning towards a Mach Lite but the Skill Shot is cheaper.
    Thanks in advance

if the mach lite hasnt fixed their stupid droopy leg problem, skill shot easier move around faster...

Comment

I have the Skill Shot and I love it, its great for setting up anywhere and it's easy to do so. It's very sturdy and catches the chains fairly well and some what light for something that has real chains and metal. It even has a flag on the top! It's also one of the cheapest portables you can get which is great because it's also durable, no worries about something not working or the basket falling over.
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I've only used the mach lite, but it's working out for me pretty well so far. i live in an apartment too. I have been putting indoors quite a bit. I found that taking a blanket and wrapping it around the inside pole makes it quiet enough to putt without bothering the neighbors. I have definitely seen an improvement in my putting lately!

It seems really solid, and it catches really well. In all reality, it catches better than any regulation basket you'll find on a real course. No complaints.

Comment

The Mach Lite seems like the slightly better basket imo (closer in shape to a permanent one) for not much more in cost... there's a guy from Olympia selling one on Seattle Craigslist for $100.
          Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by blang11 View Post
            It seems really solid, and it catches really well. In all reality, it catches better than any regulation basket you'll find on a real course. No complaints.
            Your Mach Lite must be far different than mine then. I like my Mach Lite, but it's catching ability is poo poo, lots of space for the disc to slime through on the strong side and weak side. I find it similar to putting on a M-14, that you have to accept that some of the "missed" putts were in actuality good putts.

The Skill Shots on the other hand, I've only putted on them here and there, but they seem to catch just about anything that's thrown at them. They also have a smaller target area, which may or may not be what you're after.

So, in my experience, Mach Lite looks cooler and has a more standard appearance, which may help practicing, but it does drop a lot of putts. It also has a carrying bag, which I'm not sure if the Skill Shot has. And there is the issue of the collapsing tripod when you pick it up, but I think I may have heard that issue's been addressed.

The Skill Shot catches better, but looks weirder, and has a smaller target area.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

For an M-14, easy peasy add chains to make it awesome basket...

Comment

Mach lite I have had one for four years and it catches just fine. The leg problem is easily fixed by actually putting a bolt in the hole provided. It has been a very successful raffle prize too
                rewindb.com

Comment

Mach Lite catches more like a real basket... The Skill Shot forces a very specific putt and may not actually work for your style

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Your Mach Lite must be far different than mine then. I like my Mach Lite, but it's catching ability is poo poo, lots of space for the disc to slime through on the strong side and weak side. I find it similar to putting on a M-14, that you have to accept that some of the "missed" putts were in actuality good putts.

The Skill Shots on the other hand, I've only putted on them here and there, but they seem to catch just about anything that's thrown at them. They also have a smaller target area, which may or may not be what you're after.

So, in my experience, Mach Lite looks cooler and has a more standard appearance, which may help practicing, but it does drop a lot of putts. It also has a carrying bag, which I'm not sure if the Skill Shot has. And there is the issue of the collapsing tripod when you pick it up, but I think I may have heard that issue's been addressed.

The Skill Shot catches better, but looks weirder, and has a smaller target area.
                    The Skill Shot does indeed have a carrying bag.
                    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

When I was down at the Bad Mokey Open this year I had my skill shot out to practice a hundred feet or so away from somebody's mach lite and I spent a good hour putting at the two. The mach lite caught way more putts for me than my skill shot and I also like the look of the mach lite better. I don't think setup or transportation makes a difference with either as they both seem equally easy to carry and setup.

That said I prefer the skill shot because it makes me have to putt more precisely to get them to stick. The mach lite seemed like it would be good for confidence building but I believe practicing with a smaller margin of error will make you better in the long term. The skill shot also seemed a bit more durable.
                      Read this ^

Comment

I agree with practicing on a more demanding target. Your mileage may vary.
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Skill Shot hands down.
                          "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                          -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

I want to thank everybody for their suggestions. It looks like my wife made the decision for me by purchasing a Mach Lite for me for my birthday, as well as a couple of new putters. Man, what an awesome lady. (but I don't think she's going to be into it being the center piece of the living room, though)

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X