Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does it mean to remove the "flashing" from a new disc?

How is it done?
    What does it accomplish?
    anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

If there is any extra plastic from the molding process it is refered to as flashing. Usually found on the edge or even on the bottom of the rim. I am not sure how removing it changes flight if at all but it does make the disc more comfortable to hold. I have a champ boss that has a very very sharp bottom rim. I haven't thrown it yet because it is. A freaking beautiful piece of plastic but when I do it might not be very kind to my fingers.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

The flashing will make the disc more stable, it essentially works as a tiny bead. But yeah, like Chris said, it's mostly a comfort thing for me, especially in cold/wet weather. You can sand it off, spin it back and forth on a carpet (works best on the tight weave you see in commercial type carpets), or slice it off with a razor blade or xacto. Or you can just let it wear off naturally.
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Yep, the previous posters are correct.
        When you go into a store and handle a bunch of discs, you will feel the little sharp plastic edge that sticks up off the bottom inside edge of the rim.

Some discs also have a small circle of flashing near the center of the flight plate, this you will see referred to as a " belly button ".
        A belly button doesnt hurt your hands, but being in a spot where air needs to flow smoothly over your disc, it can affect the flight.

Belly buttons I carefully remove with a razor blade, rim flashing I just grind on flat pavement for 10 seconds until its smooth enough to be comfortable in my hands.

Comment

I don't contemplate the navel, or sweat the belly button. When I tape a battery and three LEDs underneath the flight plate, it hardly makes a difference. I can't see the airflow under the disc hardly being affected. Just my two pennies.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
            Yep, the previous posters are correct.
            When you go into a store and handle a bunch of discs, you will feel the little sharp plastic edge that sticks up off the bottom inside edge of the rim.

Some discs also have a small circle of flashing near the center of the flight plate, this you will see referred to as a " belly button ".
            A belly button doesnt hurt your hands, but being in a spot where air needs to flow smoothly over your disc, it can affect the flight.

Belly buttons I carefully remove with a razor blade, rim flashing I just grind on flat pavement for 10 seconds until its smooth enough to be comfortable in my hands.
            This is what I like about Discraft. They seem to be much better about removing the flashing, especially around the "belly button". Whether it really effects a disc's flight or not (discernibly), I just don't like it there. It's distracting and unsightly. I have had some Innova discs, particularly my latest champ Boss, that had a ton of extra material on the belly button. I never could cut it off or sand it down enough. It just look mangled. Discraft obviously pays more attention to detail in that respect, because their discs always have a nicely smoothed out belly button.

Comment

Discraft discs are 'innies' I suppose. My new CE leopards have more flashing than Janet Jackson, and they're much sharper as well. My leopards don't have much in the way of nipples though.

I'm leaning toward the 'road rash removal' method over the 'carpet burn' or the slice n dice technique-- it seems that it would help break in the disc a bit quicker which is what I'd like to accomplish...
              Outside of running over a disc or throwing it into a tree repeatedly, what are some other ideas for quickly 'seasoning' a fairway driver?
              Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; January 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM.
              Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                Outside of running over a disc or throwing it into a tree repeatedly, what are some other ideas for quickly 'seasoning' a fairway driver?
                from what i have found to help is....leave the disc in your front yard and let the weather beat it in for ya

Comment

One of the biggest things I look for in a disc when purchasing it is that the flashing is at a minimum or non existent. After trying unsuccessfully many times to do the razor around the rim technique (ruined both my SL's that way) I stopped buying discs that had major flashing issues.

The worst disc flashing issues seem to come of Star Plastic. Don't know why but they always have tons of extra materials (at least from my experience).

As for seasoning a disc quick, don't. I have tried to beat discs quick to replace my favorite old beat discs and they never fly the same. It seems that the haste to beat them makes you overlook that the disc may fly different from the beginning and you lose that wonderful opportunity to learn what that particular disc does well. Isn't that one of the best things about disc golf in the first place?
                  "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                  Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post

put a few discs in a pillow case add in a chunk or 2 of tree branch then toss them in the dryer for 15 minutes and your good to go........

disclaimer: i have never tried this and this post is just a stupid joke early in the morning

i have always used the tree method for super quick seasoning.
                    "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Has anyone thought of quality control?

I got a disc for Christmas, sent from a seller in Topeka Kansas. It's an R-Pro Katana and it has one of the most extreme edge flashings I've seen. I've tried to cut it away with a sharp knife but that thin soft R-Pro just wants to ball up and stretch and turn into hair. I quit trying that after the first half inch, not wanting to make it a worse problem. This one should have never escaped the factory. I bet that never occurred to Innova.

Comment

If I have to remove some flashing I just use sandpaper, 220 works great. But Discraft has little to deal with, Buzzzes mostly, and then more often Pro D not the better plastics. Don't know why innovaland has such a issue with this, and more lately yhan before. 220 grit sandpaper, heck I keep some in the bag at all times for damage during a round.
                        educate your thinking

Comment

I thought of that but was afraid the R-Pro would just ball up. It's weird stuff. Like a greasy rubber.

Comment

Variances in plastic molding done at one of the three innova factories probably account for the massive flashing issue. The question is what factory does the best and which does the worst?

Maybe I should apply for a Quality Assurance Manager at one of the factories. That way I can destroy them from the inside...

The worst flashing I have ever seen though belongs to the Aerobee disc golf discs. Especially the Sharpshooter. The disc sucks in the first place and every single one of those damn rings on top of the disc has sharp enough flashing to make new razor blades seem dull. Watched my buddy rip open his throwing hand with a brand new one. Which in turn found it promptly thrown into the river.
                            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

[QUOTE=
                              Outside of running over a disc or throwing it into a tree repeatedly, what are some other ideas for quickly 'seasoning' a fairway driver?[/QUOTE]

I once washed all of the discs in my bag in a bucket of very hot soapy water and they seemed to all become a little more elastic after soaking for awhile. I haven't tried this but the one time as I prefer to break my discs in the old fashioned way by slamming them in to trees that I am attempting to miss.
                              Read this ^

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X