Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a home made Disc Golf Tone Pole Target.

i've searched the internet and disc golf forums looking for examples of home made tone poles, looking for inspiration to make one for my back yard. i've appreciated some of these links that i've found here and here. However, the most inspiring tone i've heard from a tone pole target met my ears at Lucky Mud DGC in Skamokawa, WA. Ol'Bob (the resident groundskeeper/DG pro) was kind enough to offer some direction on the NWDiscGolfNews Forums right here. taking all of these things to heart, and wanting to proceed in the cheapest manner possible, what i'll list below are my plans. a how to video follows.

1. i planted a 2' long 1 1/4" diameter threaded pipe in a 2' hole filled with cement. i left 8" exposed. make sure it's plumb up and down, straight as an arrow.

2. on that, i screwed a 1 1/4" coupler so that i can use this planted pipe for something else in the future if i want to.

3. on to the coupler, i screwed a 4' long 1 1/4" pipe for the main height of the target

4. on to the 4' tall pipe, i screwed my special custom made cap. it's a 1 1/4" cap with a hole drilled through the center of the top. through that hole is a 1/2" bolt that's 2 1/2" long, secured with washers and nuts. this bolt was then sharpened to a taper on the ends on which the weight of the target will rest.

5. on this whole assembly, i placed the target. the target is a ~60 cu ft compressed air tank with the bottom cut off and the top valve cut off. the brass fitting was left in the top of the tank to be placed on the post. i rested this tank on the post and the weight of the tank holds it in place.

here's a quick video of the assembly and the final product:

What is that, an F sharp?

Sun's out today. Maybe I'll get that pic of my pole. (It's an E flat.)
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
      What is that, an F sharp?

Sun's out today. Maybe I'll get that pic of my pole. (It's an E flat.)

close... my guitar tuner is picking it up as an E, just a tad sharp.

could you video yours so we can hear the sound difference?

i look forward to seeing your pictures.

Comment

Geez, I don't know how to do that. It just occurred to me, I haven't any way to download an image to my Linux from my Cannon. Any computer guyz/wominz want to help me out. Free disc golf and Vortex IPA for your time.

Comment

The best Tone Poles I have ever heard are the ones made by a guy named Chainsaw in Humboldt. He makes them in his metal shop. I don't have the recipe yet, but I am sure I can get it from Skwid Larvae. These tones have the purest sound I have heard in a tone pole and even if the disc barely scrapes the pole it resonates for a long time. Visually they are very nice as well, with a bright silver color and nice yellow bands.

And yes, I did make this 65 footer!
          "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
            The best Tone Poles I have ever heard are the ones made by a guy named Chainsaw in Humboldt. He makes them in his metal shop. I don't have the recipe yet, but I am sure I can get it from Skwid Larvae.

sounds great! i'd love to see some more design ideas!

Comment

I just got off of the phone with Skwid. He tells me that Chainsaw uses fire extinguishers as his tones. They are hung slightly different from the ones Bob makes. He will try to get me some better pics and specs in the next few days.
              He also tells me that the Bigfoot was originally set for the weekend of February 20th, but it will be moved to the 13th and 14th to coincide with the long holiday weekend.
              "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Depending on your distribution, it should just work when plugged in to USB (then look in your file manager if an icon doesn't appear automagically on the desktop...) if you have a slot for the card in your computer it should work the same way...

Geez, I don't know how to do that. It just occurred to me, I haven't any way to download an image to my Linux from my Cannon. Any computer guyz/wominz want to help me out. Free disc golf and Vortex IPA for your time.

Comment

I just assumed that since the Cannon came with software for Mac and that other OS only, that it wouldn't work. I'll plug it in and see if it sees it. The Cannon CD didn't work so I just gave up.

Comment

Okay, so I plugged the camera in and the only way I could find to see it was with the Image Viewer app. When I clicked on 'Open File' and Cannon appeared, and I clicked on that, it just told me:
                    The folder contents could not be displayed
                    Cannot change to folder because it is not local
                    After I click OK, the Cannon thingy disappears until I turn the camera off and back on.

Comment

OMG, Don't TELL me you are referring to the same "Squid". The insane guy whom our groupmate threatened to literally pound into the ground (thankfully) about every 3 holes during The Heave a couple years ago? Advanced Master from NorCal?
                      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Thanks for putting up that video and awesome looking pole!
                        'Weekend 4 Women':
                        Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                        Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

I've always thought that old propane tanks would make good tones. They are roughly the size of the chains and are easy to find at any junkyard.
                          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I'd say it would be a good idea to fill any propane tanks completely full of water before attempting to cut or drill them.

Comment

I'd say it would be a good idea to fill any propane tanks completely full of water before attempting to cut or drill them.
                              ?????
                              A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X